[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Agency in Playoffs

Patriots

How does your league handle free agency in the playoffs?

My current leagues allow pickups by playoffs througout.

It got me thinking though. Would it be a good rule to expand rosters for playoffs right before they start and allow people to pick up some backups for thier starters. Then lock rosters?

i think you should win or lose with the team that got you there.

Just a thought.

Also how does it work in the NFL. Can you add players up until the SB?

Thanks

Ours is a keeper league and here is what we do

- teams in the playoffs are allowed to add players, but they are temporary and removed from their team once out of the playoffs

- they do not have to drop another player at that time (they keep their end of season roster for next year)

- we expand the rosters by a few spots to allow room for adding more players

- there is a higher transaction fee for these roster moves, $5 instead of $2

- teams that are not in the playoffs are not allowed to add players

The key point here is that in a keeper league we don't want anybody to have an advantage over other teams with adding late rising star players. And it makes no sense to allow teams out of the playoffs to make moves, since they cannot use the player and would only be screwing over playoff teams.

We used to have a more complex setup, where you could only add player if you had lost a player (declared OUT for the week), but that was determined to be too restrictive.

You said "i think you should win or lose with the team that got you there. ",

That may be fine for you but others may not agree. And it depends a lot on the league and roster size, whether owners can adequately be prepared for injuries. Heck you could have 4RB limit, start 2 and lose all 4 in one week. Should that owner be forced to proceed without a healthy RB if they can win that week? (I know that's a long shot, but you never know what could happen over a 3-4 week period that could decimate a team.)

As for the NFL, not sure how they handle it, I swear I've seen teams add players during the playoffs in the past.

I am only asking because I had an incredible run this season in my 12 team local. I won 8 in a row to clinch first place and only lost my 3 games by 10 or less points. I know its fair for everyone but I feel like I could lose to someone who picks up a few guys who are on fire.

But like I said its fair for everyone. . Just looking at maybe proposing something for next year.

I agree

:shrug: Really?

But what if you are the kind of owner that picks up different players to exploit matchups each week? Sure, your core might be generally the same, but forcing owners to stick with a roster for the final/playoff weeks is pretty silly if you ask me.

Also, what happens if a team's QB gets hurt and the team was locked with no backup? Are you saying he's just crap outta luck? Dumb.

Teams that are not in the playoffs should obviously be locked out from picking up players (unless there's some kind of "Toilet Bowl"). Otherwise, let the game continue the same way it started.

But what if you are the kind of owner that picks up different players to exploit matchups each week? Sure, your core might be generally the same, but forcing owners to stick with a roster for the final/playoff weeks is pretty silly if you ask me.

Also, what happens if a team's QB gets hurt and the team was locked with no backup? Are you saying he's just crap outta luck? Dumb.

Teams that are not in the playoffs should obviously be locked out from picking up players (unless there's some kind of "Toilet Bowl"). Otherwise, let the game continue the same way it started.

No I am saying expand rosters and then everyone goes out and gets backups. Then lock it down afterwoods. I am just throwing out ideas for discussion. It just sucks because I outdraft everyone each year and then people get lucky with pickups.

I went 10-3 and the only pickups I made were QB -Freeman. Then I exploit matchups with Defense and Kickers. Everyone else I drafted. Only had to pick a guy up here and there for bye weeks.

Could just be sour grapes. I can't go an 11 game winning streak. The fantasy gods won't allow that.

my local allows moves up until the Super Bowl but only for Teams still in it.

[/thread]

What possible conflict would arise from this, when any other solution only allows for potential conflicts (e.g., no one can predict injuries).

However, in a keeper/dynasty, teams out of it should still be allowed to make moves.... Well, maybe that depends on how limited of a keeper it is, and if the potential conflicts outweigh people picking up players they're highly unlikely to keep, but certainly in a dynasty, free agency should always be open for all teams.

Plus say you went like 7-6 and made the playoffs. Then some RB got hurt you snagged his backup for week 14, he goes off and you win the league. Were you really the best team? I am just trying to take some of the luck out of the game. Because it really is all luck.

No I am saying expand rosters and then everyone goes out and gets backups. Then lock it down afterwoods. I am just throwing out ideas for discussion. It just sucks because I outdraft everyone each year and then people get lucky with pickups.

I went 10-3 and the only pickups I made were QB -Freeman. Then I exploit matchups with Defense and Kickers. Everyone else I drafted. Only had to pick a guy up here and there for bye weeks.

Could just be sour grapes. I can't go an 11 game winning streak. The fantasy gods won't allow that.

Unless you're just working with crazy thin benches, I don't see nay reason to expand rosters and then lock it down, rather than just allow people who are still in it to make moves... In fact, the latter could actually allow for some good players to maybe even come on the WW, rather than just having all the teams suck it dry in one swoop. I just don't see the point.

Plus say you went like 7-6 and made the playoffs. Then some RB got hurt you snagged his backup for week 14, he goes off and you win the league. Were you really the best team? I am just trying to take some of the luck out of the game. Because it really is all luck.

How is that any different than any other case during the season where someone gets lucky by hitting on the free-agent pickup of the year. There is never any guarantee that the best team will win the league, quite the opposite, so methinks you're overcomplicating things to try to combat the luck factor that you cannot possibly (nor does it make sense to) eliminate from the league.

Why should it matter if someone gets the hot pickup in week 15 rather than week 12?

We only have 5 bench spots.

So I assume you did so to be able to have real talent come available on the WW, and force teams to manage their rosters better. Why should this change for the playoffs? If you want to pick up a backup or hot pickup, then you have to sacrifice depth elsewhere. I jsut don't get the need to expand rosters to negate the way you've done it all season. It unnecessarily puts the playoffs on a pedestal, rather than doing things as you always would.

Okay, but I wasn't responding directly to your post, for what it's worth.

I responded to the post about having to stick with the "guys that got you there".

Not saying I agree with your suggestion, either, but at least that affords someone the opportunity to back up players in case of injury.

We went with short benches to create more transaction in the pot by forcing people to drop players that others would pick up. I guess your correct. It doesn't matter what week you get a hot waiver pickup. And you can't take luck out of the game.

We went with short benches to create more transaction in the pot by forcing people to drop players that others would pick up. I guess your correct. It doesn't matter what week you get a hot waiver pickup. And you can't take luck out of the game.

Thank you for not getting defensive, as I was perhaps unnecessarily critical. There is nothing wrong with the way you do it if that works for your league, I guess I just didn't see much point, other than completely preventing anyone from getting a hot pickup just because it's the playoffs.

It is certainly better than just locking them down without allowing any recourse for injuries or scratches (ETA: though in leagues such as MOBD's above with large rosters, there might not be a ton of conflict with that either)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Thank you for not getting defensive, as I was perhaps unnecessarily critical. There is nothing wrong with the way you do it if that works for your league, I guess I just didn't see much point, other than completely preventing anyone from getting a hot pickup just because it's the playoffs.

It is certainly better than just locking them down without allowing any recourse for injuries or scratches (ETA: though in leagues such as MOBD's above with large rosters, there might not be a ton of conflict with that either)

Totally agree...

The only league I play in that DOES'NT lock rosters for playoffs is 18 man rosters - start 9. If you can't find room for a backup QB...

A far as picking up players for certain matchups, you can still do that, you just have to plan ahead. And decide whether you wanna drop someone else who may be startable for someone else's team at the same time. Which actually makes it more difficult and adds more strategy.

Last year in my local I sucked at RB. I chose to hold several decent ones and not backup my TE. Then Davis got caught with a bag of Josh Gordon and I was hosed. My fault...chives happens

JMO....I can see both sides..

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Its just so hard to win. I really want to win. I don't even want the $$. Just the trophy.

I'm in 4 leagues (probably low by the standards of most people here), and I swear that the league I care the most about (by far) is the one with lowest prize pot but has a big ass trophy. LOL

How is that so different from a team that does that in week 10-13, or earlier in the season. If awarding top waiver priority to bad teams is your issue then address that, with blind bids, or not resetting the waiver order each week.

Its just so hard to win. I really want to win. I don't even want the $$. Just the trophy.

Seriously? Is the $$ that small? Are you turning over the $$ to charity if you win?

it sounds like you just want to win, and think the rules lower your chances of winning (this year) and so you don't like them. But next year if your luck changes, then you'll want rules that help you in that case.

Rules in fantasy football should be looked at for the good of the whole league, not what helps your paritcular team in one season.

In my local we allow owners a maximum of two FCFS waiver acquisitions to replace players that go on IR during our playoffs. The acquisitions go through the commissioner for approval and processing.

Edited by Chargerz

I get the bit about dancing with the ones that brought you. On the other hand, I don't like the notion of having to go thin at an important position in order to pick up a back up kicker.

Of course, I just had to do this in one of my leagues as Thursday locks down waivers, not only for the week, but for the season. The guy I dropped was one that, while good, was someone I can't imagine starting given our other options, so it seemed like much ado about nothing.

And, provided everyone has to play by the same rules...