[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

win / loss and total points

detlef

Just curious how many guys play in leagues that award the high point scorer(s). Either with cash or reserving one or some of the play-off spots for total pts rather than simply going by W-L and just having total pts as a tie break.

If you do, do you like it or not?

If you don't, do you wish you did?

Reasons for your opinion?

We have money for the top 3 scoring teams for the season, regardless of playoffs. $2 per add (WW, FA or trade) is charged and goes into that pot. Then it is split 50/30/20 % by the top 3. This season that was about $250, the top scoring team finished 5-8 and missed the playoffs by one game. The league winner will get something like $250, so this isn't a bad consolation prize (you could make the playoffs, lose your first game and get a lot less).

We've had this almost since the beginning, and we've seen it happen at least 4-5 times in 20 years that the top scoring team missed the playoffs.

We also do a weekly high score prize, and generally see about 6-8 teams getting one or more during the season.

I like both ideas, although I also like the idea of using one or more playoff spots for the high scoring team if they don't get some $$

In my local we only do a week 17 cash award for the highest points scored that week. Our Fantasy Bowl is in week 16 so it's a nice way to keep owners involved for one more week.

In my local we do both... First, the total points leader gets a small prize along with division winners, and then there's a wildcard spot for the top non-division-winner points leader.

Right now we seed it with 3 division winners first, then points wildcard as 4th seed, and then 2 actual wildcards at 5 and 6... Next year I'm thinking of changing it to the #6 seed once all others are seeded, to then take the points leader of the remaining, since as the #4 seed it normally gives a playoff spot to someone who would have made it anyway.

Though even as just the 4 seed, it does make things interesting for more teams who might be all but-eliminated going into the last week, but still alive with a big points week vs the competition. It was very close to giving it to someone who wouldn't have made it, but I think #6 will do an even better job of that.

Very satisfied with the interest (and fairness, IMO) it adds.

I've played in leagues that award the top scoring team for the season a cash prize. Oftentimes that is not the team with the best record, even if, in theory, most points scored is indicative of a better team overall.

As for playoffs, I really like the FFPC way of seeding the playoffs - 1st seed goes to the team with the best record. 2nd seed goes to the highest scoring team remaining. 3rd seed goes back to using record. 4th seed is highest scoring team remaining. Could easily be expanded/modified for playoffs with more than 4 teams.

Let's face it, in fantasy football, one's record has a large element of luck in it, based on the schedule. It is entirely possible to be one of the top scoring teams every week but never win. In fact, in one league I am in, the top 2 scoring teams in the league did not make the playoffs. I was the 3rd highest scoring team and got the 5th seed with a 7-6 record. Just happened that we played teams that greatly outscored their average in the week's we played, thus our points against were higher than most other teams. Unlike in real football where one's defense has a role in stopping the opponent, that is not so in fantasy football. We have no control over our opponent's scoring.

That's one reason why I am a fan of some version of playoff seeding taking total points (or all-play record) into account regardless of record.

That being said, I completely understand the traditionalist view of "ya gotta win games" to get in, and going solely with a record based approach to seeding for playoffs.

In FDSB, a BOTH league, the last playoff spot is highest overall scoring team that is not already in the playoffs. 3 division winners, then next two best win/loss teams are wild card along with the highest remaining scoring team.

I like it, it rewards that one team that always seems to end up at about .500 even though they're in the top 3 in scoring.

We have money payout for top scorer and best record. Top scorer is not awarded a playoff spot unless they make it based on their record.

I like it this way best. If you have an unfortunate season because other teams were pounding you, then you shouldn't be commended for losing by being granted a playoff spot over someone else with a better record. The money should be consolation enough.

Edited by faceplant

I've played in leagues that award the top scoring team for the season a cash prize. Oftentimes that is not the team with the best record, even if, in theory, most points scored is indicative of a better team overall.

As for playoffs, I really like the FFPC way of seeding the playoffs - 1st seed goes to the team with the best record. 2nd seed goes to the highest scoring team remaining. 3rd seed goes back to using record. 4th seed is highest scoring team remaining. Could easily be expanded/modified for playoffs with more than 4 teams.

Let's face it, in fantasy football, one's record has a large element of luck in it, based on the schedule. It is entirely possible to be one of the top scoring teams every week but never win. In fact, in one league I am in, the top 2 scoring teams in the league did not make the playoffs. I was the 3rd highest scoring team and got the 5th seed with a 7-6 record. Just happened that we played teams that greatly outscored their average in the week's we played, thus our points against were higher than most other teams. Unlike in real football where one's defense has a role in stopping the opponent, that is not so in fantasy football. We have no control over our opponent's scoring.

That's one reason why I am a fan of some version of playoff seeding taking total points (or all-play record) into account regardless of record.

That being said, I completely understand the traditionalist view of "ya gotta win games" to get in, and going solely with a record based approach to seeding for playoffs.

I like their way, too BC. In my local we do top two in wins then next two in points, but I kinda like the way it alternates in FFPC.

As for Detlef's question, I am in a $350/team league with $10/transaction. 40% of the pot goes to the total points thru week 17 and 35% of the pot goes to the playoff champ.

I'm in one strange local league. We play head to head and that determines the playoffs. But, playoff entrants and winners get a rather small fixed sum. Rest of money goes to: High scoring team each week wins a fixed pot, generally about 30 per week. and total points are used to determine real money: all points are added up and divided by number of teams. Each team gets or gives money based on their distance above or below the average. This typically results in somebody winning 300 - 500, some getting or paying 100 or so, and 1 or 2 teams ponying up 200 - 300.

Most years I've been in that first group, but this year I'm sittng well below the average. We go through week 17 for points so I need to make some movement. (Not happy with Fitz, Gronk, McCoy, D. Brown, Maclin, etc.)

14-team league ($5 FAs/Trades):

1st - Total Pts, 2nd = SB Champ, 3rd = 2nd in Pts, 4th = SB Runner-up. Other prizes for playoff losers and weekly high scores as well as a $50 pot for the week #17 high score.

10-team Dynasty ($5 for FAs/Trades free):

Reg Season Pt Champ = $200; SB Champ gets 70% of remaining pot, including transactions (after other minor prizes); SB Runner-up gets 30% of remaining pot

Edited by The Next Generation

The dynasty leagues I'm in give cash to the high point scorer.

My local league does top 4 records (2 division winners get a bye & then 2 WC teams) then 2 highest point scorers of the remaining teams. This year a 4-9 team got in because his opponents averaged 100 points a week (that's a lot).

I like it because it rewards good teams with bad luck.

In my local we only do a week 17 cash award for the highest points scored that week. Our Fantasy Bowl is in week 16 so it's a nice way to keep owners involved for one more week.

This is a great idea, I am trying to get it into one of my leagues next year.