[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodell open to eliminating the kick off

whomper

I am open to bubblewrap uniforms. Boom. All problems solved. And lets make the field out of goose down so if anybody hits their head on it, 'twill feel like a nice comfy pillow.

My first thought was about onside kicks but I guess that gets countered by the fact that the kicking team gets the ball with a chance to keep it if they complete a 15 yard play. This is a head shaker for sure. Since they moved up the kicking starting point you dont see a lot of returns anyway but still. This suggestion is a dagger to the purists. Id hate to see it implemented

Edited by whomper

They should eliminate tackling too, I understand it causes a lot of injuries.

Agreed. Go to 2 handed touch, but if contact is severe enough to cause a player to fall it is a 15 yard roughness penalty. Tackling any player results in an automatic ejection and subsequent 2 game suspension. Blocking can only be performed with arms crossed tightly in front of the blocker and no swinging of arms allowed, with 15 yd penalty for failure to keep arms crossed and unmoving. Pass rushers must count to 3 Mississippi before rushing, and any failure to clearly enunciate each word also results in a 15 yd penalty.

There you go, Roger. Making the NFL safe for future viewing enjoyment.

So, we're going to miss....Touchdown, extra point, commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial, kick off, touchback, commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial? Sign me up.

Unless they move the kickoff back to the 30, the kickoff is mostly a big fat waste of time right now.

Other than the on-side kick, I completely agree.

So, we're going to miss....Touchdown, extra point, commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial, kick off, touchback, commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial? Sign me up.

Unless they move the kickoff back to the 30, the kickoff is mostly a big fat waste of time right now.

Don't worry, they're already reviewing all scoring plays to make sure they can still cram a few more commercials in there. So it will go like this:

TD > commercial > review > commercial > Goodell's ghey 15 yard rule > commercial > series

Eliminating the kickoff = less players and more money for the owners. Seriously, you think teams are still going to maintain a 52 man roster and suite up those 3rd string LB's every game when they won't even play except on punts? Next, they'll eliminate that to. I just have a hard time believing that the players union will not have a say in the matter. What it boils down to is eliminating jobs.

Eliminating the kickoff = less players and more money for the owners. Seriously, you think teams are still going to maintain a 52 man roster and suite up those 3rd string LB's every game when they won't even play except on punts? Next, they'll eliminate that to. I just have a hard time believing that the players union will not have a say in the matter. What it boils down to is eliminating jobs.

With it being such a lucrative industry, i cannot imagine that the league and union couldn't work out a deal to still require teams to have just as many players on reserve. In fact, you can bet it would be a sticking point.

If players were guaranteed their same jobs, obviously the union isn't going to make a stink about them having more of a reserve role than playing special teams.

I just don't think that's an issue, because it's not like margins are razor-thin to where it'd make any difference for them to have a few of those special teamers ride the bench. Teams still have a salary floor to meet anyway, so that money has gotta go somewhere.

(ETA: All that said, I still don't like the idea at all. Seems absurd and favors strong passing teams who can pick up 15 yards in one play, but I don't think it's unfeasible)

Edited by delusions of grandeur