[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodell open to eliminating the kick off

whomper

So the article mentions the scoring team can go for a play from their own 30 yard line to pick up 15 yards or punt from their own 30 yard line...does that mean if the team elects to go for it and does not pick up the 15 yards that the team on defense gets the ball at the spot the play ended? If so, that's one heck of a gamble.

Hate the idea of eliminating the kick off though no matter what.

KO'd

I guess I'm in the heavy minority, but I actually don't mind the concept that's being floated. It's not simply an 'elimination of the kickoff', it's a choice between punting from the 30 or trying to pick 15 yards in one play. Might make for some interesting late game decisions.

The players union will never allow it. You basically are eliminating special teams and all the players that are on the team soley for kickoffs. Nope....won't happen.

I do not see it happening.

But maybe, just maybe, in the grand scheme, the elimination of Special Teams will cause rosters to shrink and the NFL will expand to more teams. Maybe a couple of conferences in Europe, then have an expanded playoffs until ultimately you have the best team in Europe play the best team in the USA for a true New World vs. Old World.

Not to mention said expansion of commercial and merchandising and more commercials, etc...

I do not see it happening.

But maybe, just maybe, in the grand scheme, the elimination of Special Teams will cause rosters to shrink and the NFL will expand to more teams. Maybe a couple of conferences in Europe, then have an expanded playoffs until ultimately you have the best team in Europe play the best team in the USA for a true New World vs. Old World.

Not to mention said expansion of commercial and merchandising and more commercials, etc...

You beat me to the punch. I was just gonna post something similar to this. Regardless, its a horrible idea. I wish Goodell would stop chivesing with the game.

So the article mentions the scoring team can go for a play from their own 30 yard line to pick up 15 yards or punt from their own 30 yard line...does that mean if the team elects to go for it and does not pick up the 15 yards that the team on defense gets the ball at the spot the play ended? If so, that's one heck of a gamble.

KO'd

For the punt, not sure if that means punting directly at the 30 or lining up for a standard punt formation with the punter 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

for the other part, i am reading it as you say - that if the 15 yards are not made, the other team gets the ball at the dead ball spot.

Darryl Stingley wants to know how that one's working out.

College players were literally getting killed on the field at that time and Teddy Roosevelt was on the verge of banning football for that reason. So rule changes needed to be made to keep the game going and the forward pass was the major rule change instituted as not every play would be crashing into a pile for all players. But cases like that still exist as the speed escalated but better than the alternative.

If you think something will be enacted which significantly cuts down on commercials I have to believe you are very mistaken.

What about selling sponsorship for every kickoff, with 50% of the proceeds going straight to the NFL Player's assocation to fund an annual Culpepper Get Your Stripper Roll On Cruise? Everybody wins!

Goodall is a complete idiot and a wuss. How I pine for the days of real football. Not this watered down version we have and the tag-football we are going to end up with.

They eliminate the kickoff they will most likely eliminate me watching, spending my money on football related stuff, and the the ticket.

Goodell realizes that this new rule change will not stick and that fundamentally changing the game this drastically will not fly. By floating this idea out to owners/rule commitee he further gives the impression that he and the league are serious (to a fault) about player safety.

It can't happen because it takes away the surprise onside kick element. If such a rule had been in place when the Saints were in he Super Bowl, the Saints likely would have lost.

I actually wish the NFL would use the Canadian League rules on kickoff to make them more exciting. It would be cool if guys had no choice but to bring kicks out from deep in the endzone. Touchbacks are the most boring, anti-climactic event in all of sports.

Really? You watch games just so you can see a half dozen touchbacks?

Beat me to it. I caught the bit this morning on Mike and Mike where they were discussing it and, though I'd seen this thread, hadn't before clicked on it.

Once I found out what was at stake, I was then certain I'd find a bunch of hand-wringing over the sanctity of the game because they were going to replace a kick-off with a punt. Well, that and the requisite and hyperbolic "what's next?" questions.

Glad you guys didn't disappoint.

As for me, I'm not saying it's the greatest idea since sliced bread, but it seems interesting. The 15 yard 4th down deal seem intriguing and I can't say that I think kick-offs are any more exciting than punts.

Really? You watch games just so you can see a half dozen touchbacks?

I watch to see that great runback. There will always been touchbacks and there will always been exciting runbacks. That is the exciting part of the game. Those long plays. No different that an 80 yard pass or 80 yard run. You don't get those every play either.

The anticipation of something exciting happening is what it is all about.

• Like 1

I watch to see that great runback. There will always been touchbacks and there will always been exciting runbacks. That is the exciting part of the game. Those long plays. No different that an 80 yard pass or 80 yard run. You don't get those every play either.

The anticipation of something exciting happening is what it is all about.

But they're talking about replacing it with a punt. Do we not get run backs on those as well?

Oh give me a break.

What? It's a simple question. You do realize that's what is on the table. Replacing the kick-off with a punt. I'm simply asking if you truly believe that kick-offs are that much more exciting than a punt.

Oh, and for the record, there have been 10 kick-offs and 14 punts returned for TDs thus far this year.

Edited by detlef

What? It's a simple question. You do realize that's what is on the table. Replacing the kick-off with a punt. I'm simply asking if you truly believe that kick-offs are that much more exciting than a punt.

Of course they are. And why would you give the team that just scored the ball back? There are too many really good QBs out there that will take advantage of that and go for the 15.

But hey.... let's take away the on-side kick and the KO return game and dilute the game even more.

It's a stupid idea that only an idiot would propose.

I wonder what happens if the offense decided to go for the 15 yard play and then there are penalties on the Defense on the play. Does PI get the person the first down ? etc

Of course they are. And why would you give the team that just scored the ball back? There are too many really good QBs out there that will take advantage of that and go for the 15.

But hey.... let's take away the on-side kick and the KO return game and dilute the game even more.

Good to know that one of two plays, both involving a dude kicking the ball a long ways and another dude catching it and running back with it while players from the kicking team are running down the field to tackle him is so much obviously more exciting than the other that it's stupid to even question.

Do you not understand that all they would be doing is replacing the KO with a punt, and the 4th and 15 play IS your onside kick. And I don't care who your QB is I don't see any coach going for it any more often than they would actually try an onside kick... I'd like to see the NFL average conversion rate on 4th and 15... probably close or likely less than onside kick success.

Now don't take this all as I'm totally in favor of the plan... Just pointing out that if you look at it a little closer it's not as ridiculous as it seems on the surface.

Edited by MnLefty