[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AJ Smith and Norv to be fired at season's end

tazinib1

Team sources tell the Union-Tribune San Diego Chargers owner Dean Spanos plans to fire both coach Norval Turner and GM A.J. Smith at season's end.

According to long-time Chargers reporter Kevin Acee, Spanos has "resigned himself to the fact that Smith can't be kept in the current environment of plummeting performance and fan unrest," and that plans to can both Turner and Smith are "already in motion." Spanos was widely expected to replace his football brain trust last season, but had a last-minute change of heart. Per Acee, "it seems certain" that will not be the case this time around. Spanos is reportedly planning to replace Smith with current Chargers Director of Player Personnel Jimmy Raye.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

Dec 6 - 5:07 PM

:pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle::pickle:

:celb::celb::celb::celb:

I trust Kevin Acee more than anybody when it comes to Charger information so I take this as pretty concrete confirmation all Charger fans have been waiting for, for a LOOOONG Time. I just wonder why they don't go ahead and do it now. We are out of playoff contention. Put Raye behind the desk now, promote a coach from within and start working on next season's personal now.

Edited by tazinib1

I am glad they plan to fire both Norv and AJ. They both deserve to go!

However, I don't know that Jimmy Raye is the right guy to take charge. I think AJ's drafts started taking a downturn after Buddy Nix left and was replaced by Jimmy Raye. I'd much rather they cleaned house and brought in someone else.

I will be glad if both leave.

Norv is gone. We all know that.

Smith, on the other hand, is not a forgone conclusion. Acee's been wrong before. I'll believe Smith is gone when it becomes official.

I'm not sure firing them now really is to the Chargers' benefit. If it is, you can bet the firing will happen soon.

Honest question for you guys... do you think firing them now would bring more fans in to watch the rest of the season (just out of sheer joy that they are gone), or would people think that they are giving up and not be as apt to go to the rest of the games?

I am glad they plan to fire both Norv and AJ. They both deserve to go!

However, I don't know that Jimmy Raye is the right guy to take charge. I think AJ's drafts started taking a downturn after Buddy Nix left and was replaced by Jimmy Raye. I'd much rather they cleaned house and brought in someone else.

I have to agree here. Jimmy Raye III has zero experience in the front office before landing as Director of Player Personal for the Chargers. In 2012, he was 1 or 4 finalists for the Bears GM job after Jerry Angelo was fired. Besides that, he really doesn't have a track record besides playing in 2 games for the LA Rams. I'd prefer an experienced GM myself, or at least somebody with more time in the front office. I'm pretty sure the new GM would bring in his own staff so his job might not be safe if he were not promoted.

Edited by tazinib1

Honest question for you guys... do you think firing them now would bring more fans in to watch the rest of the season (just out of sheer joy that they are gone), or would people think that they are giving up and not be as apt to go to the rest of the games?

Good question. I don't see the attendance improving under the current regime . The product is crap and is being led by crap. Cleaning up the toilet might bring in a few more fans because the smell is gone, but I doubt it. We were just blacked out against the Ravens...THE RAVENS!!! Whats that tell you about the fans disgust about this team and its leadership.

Get a new GM in now, let him decide on an interim HC and start seeing what the younger players can do. Let the new GM get used to his personnel so that he has a better grasp on the direction he needs to take for next year. I'd rather go to a game and see the young kids get there feet wet then suffer with the product that is trotted out each week.

And keeping them on in a dead duck roll helps the Chargers out how?

I'm not sure if the 4 week difference in timing would be beneficial to the Chargers organization. It seems like most teams wait until the season ends. Just sayin'.

I'm not sure if the 4 week difference in timing would be beneficial to the Chargers organization. It seems like most teams wait until the season ends. Just sayin'.

It would show the fans, me and you, that they are indeed heading into a different direction. I for one, would support that by going to a game. As of now, I refuse to give the Chargers any amount of $ with the current disaster of leadership. But yeah, I realize that most teams wait until seasons end, but I just don't see how Smith/Norv go out of there way to HELP the Chargers if they know they are lame ducks.

This means no big name for the HC position at all. I guess they will wheel out another puppet, right? GM is already in place as is HIS replacement so...Who'd want that gig? :shrug: It does not say will fill in or for now.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Chargers president Dean Spanos has decided to fire head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith at the end of the season, the U-T San Diego reported on its website Thursday, citing unnamed sources.

It was also reported that the team's director of player personnel, 17-year Chargers employee Jimmy Raye, is most likely to succeed Smith and be assisted by Spanos' son, John, the club's director of college scouting.

Another punt until the team is in LA... :rolleyes:

This means no big name for the HC position at all. I guess they will wheel out another puppet, right? GM is already in place as is HIS replacement so...Who'd want that gig? :shrug: It does not say will fill in or for now.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Chargers president Dean Spanos has decided to fire head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith at the end of the season, the U-T San Diego reported on its website Thursday, citing unnamed sources.

It was also reported that the team's director of player personnel, 17-year Chargers employee Jimmy Raye, is most likely to succeed Smith and be assisted by Spanos' son, John, the club's director of college scouting.

Another punt until the team is in LA... :rolleyes:

First off, the Chargers are not going anywhere. I could care less if LA is building a $1.1billion dollar stadium next to Staples Center. And we all know that John Spanos has been being groomed for the GM job for a few years now. No surprises there at all. I just hope they don't promote a HC from within. I'd like to see some new blood.

Cmon man...have some faith!!

First off, the Chargers are not going anywhere. I could care less if LA is building a $1.1billion dollar stadium next to Staples Center. And we all know that John Spanos has been being groomed for the GM job for a few years now. No surprises there at all. I just hope they don't promote a HC from within. I'd like to see some new blood.

Cmon man...have some faith!!

Taz, I mean it- God bless and all but c'mon man. You sayin' that any head coach whose name is recognizable will want daddy's son as GM? How about a guy whose never held the position? Norv & AJ leaving is good news but I think the GM piece speaks volumes.

You have made it clear you don't like it when I reference LA and I'm sorry it upsets you. San Diego makes the most sense of any team out there. Even their stadium deal makes it easy. So...If you've got any info that suggests otherwise I'd love to hear it. San Diego can't sell out every game and LA's tv deal would be huge. Throw in the fact that the Chargers can't get a new stadium constructed in any county in SD, what's that add up to? Stay here or leave?

Whoever the GM is, he better draft a tackle, another tackle, a guard, and another guard with the first four picks, then make every attempt to sign a Mike Wallace/Greg Jennings/anything that's not spare Robert Meachem.

I think right now, we are projected at 1.6. This is an aweful year for the offensive skill side of the ball. You will more than likely see 8 of the first 10 picks OL/DL players. The top 5 might be all OL except whatever KC wants to do and if they were smart, they'd draft a QB (Geno). That being said, I don't think one of those fall to SD at 1.6. They will be stuck looking at a LB Monte Te'o or Damontre Moore and that is a nice problem to have. However, there is a GLUTTON of very good tackles and guards that can be had in the 2nd-4th rounds. I still think they need help in the secondary so I can see them taking one in the 2nd or 3rd. But yes, I agree. The OL needs a major overhaul because Spano's does not open up his wallet to the big name FA's very often. Hell if I were the GM, I trade out of that pick and pick up some extra picks.

Edited by tazinib1

You can't fire Norv right now. That is the problem when HC calls plays and is the OC at the same time. It would be chaos (not that it is great now) and greatly demoralizing to the players, now and in the future to get cut off like that. I see why he has to stay until season end.

Smith could go now to let Raye get a head start. If there is anything positive about Raye over Smith for Bolt fans is that he has been opposed to many of the flop picks that AJ has made and draft day moves. He was against picking Sammy Davis, and English and did not believe Mathews was first round worthy, much less moving up for him, especially relating to other team needs. He has also been VERY vocal about the lack of drafting and building the o-line through higher draft picks. AJ has always believed you can develop young players with coaching at the position other than maybe left tackle. Dielman was an example of this and AJ kept thinking he would find more diamonds in the rough on the cheaps. We all see where that took them.

Rivers is not done, he just needs an o-line to give him time to throw, which he has not had all year! :doh: Remember, he threw for over 4,000 yards and made the pro bowl throwing to 17 different receivers two years back. The difference was time to throw and a quality o-line.

There is quality now on the d-side and are a few players away from not sucking. I hope they finally bring in a tough, d-minded task master as the next HC.

I'm with you McBoog. I believe that Rivers is not done. He NEEDS a quality O-Line and time to throw. The Chargers need at least 3 new starters on the O-Line (LT, RT, and LG) via draft and free agency. Hardwick and Vasquez are still adequate. I believe we'll be ok at WR. Danario is the real deal, and if we get Vincent Brown back next year at full health, the WRs will be fine.

The defense is actually looking pretty decent and has kept the Chargers in games this year. Heck, there've been games where the defense has accounted for our only TDs. Sure, we could use help at corner, but the D-Line and LBs are young and improving.