[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New league (need opinions)

XFlash

Currently my league for all my years has always been 10 teams. (once it went to 8 due to last minute drop outs).

I want to move to either:

- a 12 team or more league

- a double header league (play 2 games the same week)

- a hybrid type of keeper league (where you keep more that just 2 offense/2 defense; different positions) maybe a one of each position (offense/defense)

Currently 10 teams works out since with the schedule with 13 weeks. Everyone plays each other twice in each conference and one each out of conference. Question is how would that work out with 12 team, 14 team, 16 team. etc....??? I'm thinking this is where the double-header comes into play.

Can those that have more than 10 teams give some insight on how your league scheudle is setup. I would really try to avoid going into using week 17.

Currently my league for all my years has always been 10 teams. (once it went to 8 due to last minute drop outs).

I want to move to either:

- a 12 team or more league

- a double header league (play 2 games the same week)

- a hybrid type of keeper league (where you keep more that just 2 offense/2 defense; different positions) maybe a one of each position (offense/defense)

Currently 10 teams works out since with the schedule with 13 weeks. Everyone plays each other twice in each conference and one each out of conference. Question is how would that work out with 12 team, 14 team, 16 team. etc....??? I'm thinking this is where the double-header comes into play.

Can those that have more than 10 teams give some insight on how your league scheudle is setup. I would really try to avoid going into using week 17.

Rage is a 12 team league (small Keeper). We have 3 Divisions of 4 teams each, play Division rivals twice, everybody else once. That's 14 games, so we play one double header, on a non-Bye week. 3 Division and next 3 best teams make the playoffs. Playoff are then weeks 14 - 16.

I'm also in a 14 team Dynasty, where everbody plays everybody once for 13 weeks. Playoffs weeks 14-16.

In my 16 team leagues we don't play every team every year (neither does the NFL)...in my 12 team leagues we have 3 divisions of 4...play division teams twice and play 7 of the other 8 teams...rotate the team and division that you miss every year.

Edited by keggerz

Ok. I'm understanding that not playing everyone. The tie breakers for playoff seeding must address this somehow. I got a couple of owners that are used to the fairness of playing everyone, but if the tie breakers elminate that need to play everyone, it should be a none factor.

Ok. I'm understanding that not playing everyone. The tie breakers for playoff seeding must address this somehow. I got a couple of owners that are used to the fairness of playing everyone, but if the tie breakers elminate that need to play everyone, it should be a none factor.

...in no particular order:

Total points

Division Winning %

Conference Winning %

Rage is a 12 team league (small Keeper). We have 3 Divisions of 4 teams each, play Division rivals twice, everybody else once. That's 14 games, so we play one double header, on a non-Bye week. 3 Division and next 3 best teams make the playoffs. Playoff are then weeks 14 - 16.

This is what we do in 2 of my locals and we play the double header on week 3.

This is what we do in 2 of my locals and we play the double header on week 3.

Can you elaborate on the double-header?

Everyone plays out of of division games in week 3?

Edited by XFlash

We typically play the doubleheader week 12 - and it usually becomes 1 in-div, 1 out. Then week 13 is usually in-div, so last 2 weeks can be critical.

Is it possible to have 4 divisions? And still fit into a 16 week schedule?

Sure - 3 teams per div, play div twice = 4 games, play other 3 divs times 3 teams once = 9 games, total = 13 games = 13 weeks, -playoffs start week 14.

There was another thread about somebody doing this but having a problem with how to pick wildcards for playoffs. Might want to go and look at that.

Sure - 3 teams per div, play div twice = 4 games, play other 3 divs times 3 teams once = 9 games, total = 13 games = 13 weeks, -playoffs start week 14.

There was another thread about somebody doing this but having a problem with how to pick wildcards for playoffs. Might want to go and look at that.

Awesome!

I have not looked yet, but I am assuming the MFL website can handle just about any setup.

Correct about the wildcards. I might have read/responded to one similar or the one you are talking about.

I think the addition of more teams and more division will keep things very exciting for a long time without changing much other than shrinking the rosters and positions limits a little bit.

I am thinking about 4 divisions of 4 teams, but keep it at 16 week schedule to keep things even.

But I guess the 3 teams works just as well as only the top of each would advance and the 1 of each conference would for the wild cards. I think that is correct?

We play 1 in division and 1 out. The reason we choose week 3 is that the rosters for the most part are still the same as draft day and each owner has had 2 weeks to see what their guys can do. We discussed a week 12 double header but felt that there are so many roster changes by then (injuries, poor performances, etc) that we just didn't like that option.

I have 3 leagues setup that are 12 team leagues which are split into 4 3 team divisions everyones plays once with divisional opponents playing twice, up uuntill this year I had had to do the scheduale myself but MFL introduced a schedule now so that is all taken care of for you.

playoff wise we have 6 playoff teams the 4 division winners and 2 wild cards which are chosen 1st by record then by total point then by their all play record.

The reason why we moved to 4 x 3 team divisions is because we didn't want our playoffs to have to start in week 15 and have a week 17 championship because they suck and none of us are interested in playing doubleheaders.

In my 16 team leagues we don't play every team every year (neither does the NFL)...in my 12 team leagues we have 3 divisions of 4...play division teams twice and play 7 of the other 8 teams...rotate the team and division that you miss every year.

Pretty much what we do but since our divisions are not fixed (reset every year) we don't rotate through ,so in theory it could be many years between times you play a team (but not likely). If you wanted to play all teams, a single DH would solve that. Those are prefferably done outside of the bye weeks, and/or for games outside the division.

4 divisions of 3 work fine, even for playoffs just depends how many playoff teams you want. 6 playoffs, then division winners and wild cards are 2 best remaining (or group divisions into conferences and one wild card from each conf).

Yes you have a ton of options when you play double headers. Play a double header early in the year to avoid bye weeks (as mentioned) or later in the year when the league action gets heated up (as mentioned). Good idea to play one division opponent and one non-division opponent in a double header week. You don't want a very good or bad week to count double.

In my 12 team league we used to fo 3 divisions but we kept having a dminant division a crappy division and a mediocre division and everyone got tired of the fact that the best teams were getting left out of the playoffs. Now we are a single division witha 6 team playoff. We play double headers every week, but we do end up playing some teams 3 times and some teams twice. Our first tie breaker is winning percentage vs all tied teams. Second tie breaker is total points for on the season. I think the system woks pretty well. The double headers help smooth out the slightly imbalanced head to head schedule.

In my 12 team league we used to fo 3 divisions but we kept having a dminant division a crappy division and a mediocre division and everyone got tired of the fact that the best teams were getting left out of the playoffs. Now we are a single division witha 6 team playoff. We play double headers every week, but we do end up playing some teams 3 times and some teams twice. Our first tie breaker is winning percentage vs all tied teams. Second tie breaker is total points for on the season. I think the system woks pretty well. The double headers help smooth out the slightly imbalanced head to head schedule.

The was a common problem for us many years ago until we went with a limited keeper (2 offense and 2 defense; different positions). That helped all team have a solid core to build around. Now if you have a homer or two, sometimes that curves the starting field, but overall, it has been great. It really cut down on the whining.

Do you any of you use flex positions since the rosters are probably smaller? Currently our roster is 29 total.

Starting lineups:

- starting offense 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK (8 players)

- starting defense 3 LB, 2 DL, 3 DB (8 players)

Have you heard if there is a flex position on defense? Maybe separating the punt and/or return from a team?

12 teams 3 divisions.

Play division 2x, all others (except 1 team) once. One of the tiebreakers we use is record against common opponents.

Rosters are 19 max; start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, K, Def

Pretty much the same for us except 18 roster spots (twice the # starting), and we don't use any H2H or common opponents thing for tiebreakers.

Free agents are usually pretty thin, many that are touted here in the FA forecast are not available.

Pretty much the same for us except 18 roster spots (twice the # starting), and we don't use any H2H or common opponents thing for tiebreakers.

Free agents are usually pretty thin, many that are touted here in the FA forecast are not available.

The FA market being slim is a concern. So double the starting at 12 teams leaves your FA market slim. Maybe making a little less than double the starting lineup. IMO this should spur trading instead of relying heavily on FA market.

My leauge is also IDP. Currently start 2 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB. i would like to keep the starting lineup the same, but again probably lower to a little less than double starting lineup.

Those of you in 12 team or higher, is there a problem with FA market being worthless?

Do a lot of owners trade? or rather eat a zero than drop a good player due to bye weeks?