[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "When to draft a QB" debate

wpayers

Slightly different take from a keeper league, 5 players kept by each of 12 teams, 6pt TD. Most owners protect a QB, one team that didn't drafted Luck early, while another who had kept Romo took RG3. The Luck owner also drafted Wilson and Weeden and was in the playoffs, but lost the 3rd place game, to the Luck owner. The title winner had Ryan, 2nd place Rodgers. The Brees owner got bounced from the first round of playoffs, and the Manning (both) and Brady owners didn't make the playoffs.

I agree that there are a lot of young up and coming players, and waiting may be more prudent. I think our keeper league may see more teams NOT keep a QB and draft one in our first round (like a 6th round redraft). I'm leaning that way after years of Rivers, and knowing that players like Wilson, Kaep will be available along with some good vets like Romo. Sure if I've got Rodgers or Brady or some others I'm holding onto them.

Depends on your built team. I took Eli late and got sent fishing. In most of my leagues the main guys are (Newton, Rodgers, Brees & P. Manning, Brady) the two outliers is Romo & RGIII. I would say take a QB in the first two rounds. This year after the first two rounds all that was left was your Tannenhill's, Schaubs, Cutler's and Roetlisbergers. I don't consider them team carrying but with the right team if you drafted well enough "can" be serviceable.

Edited by DuckDuckGoose

No matter how good a draft you have and no matter what your record is. It also comes down to one game in the playoffs. I went 13-1 and lost to a 7-7 team 108 to 107. One play of game is all luck.

Thank you Victor Cruz and you 3-15 oh yeah Detroit’s De against Arizona 3 points.

One of my first posts on this forum was a lengthy one called the 7/12 rule, where I argued that you should go QB/WR instead of RB first round since 7 of 12 of the projected top-12 RBs turned out to be busts historically. However as I have played more and more I have edged to the opinion that waiting on QB is best, and really the best time for WR is rounds late 2-early 7. Stud RBs are still a must have for a championship team (this year I had Charles, Martin, and Chris Johnson and Stevan Ridley).

In my very first BoTH championship, I took Schaub at 6.16 and Flacco at 9.01.

In the Huddle Interboard League, I took Discount Double Check in the 1st and finished at the bottom of The Huddle standings.

Thats what you get for taking BJ Raji as your QB let alone in the first round.

Idiot

I find that taking a consistent WR earlier is much more valuable than a consistent QB. I too suck at matchups but if I have 2-3 no brainer WRs I am far more comfortable choosing between 2 QBs. My strategy when I wait is generally to take 2 QBs of the same tier back to back and one of them usually pans out better than expected. Romo this year for example.

I am usually a wait to draft QB guy but in the NFFC (6 pts per TD pass) I had the 7th draft slot on my #1 and #4 overall teams and I planned on taking Calvin there if he fell knowing the top 4 backs and Rodgers were going to be off the board and in both of these drafts Calvin went #6 so I settled for Tom Brady in both. After the draft I really didn't think my teams were all that great which is usually the result of taking a QB early as you feel weak at other positions. The team that won it all I in fact went QB-TE to start grabing Gronk in the 2nd round and still found my RB's in the 3rd/8th (Lynch/Spiller) and my WR's in the 4/5/6 rounds (Decker, Lloyd,Wayne). Every draft is different and hard to say if taking a QB early or waiting on a QB is the right move as any strategy will work if you just find the players that have good years and stay injury free.