[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Next year - not drafting RB til way late

zekez

I'm fairly serious on this. Next year, I'm not drafting a RB til the 7-8 round. After having my "stars" fall on their faces the last 2 weeks in the playoffs (Charles and Martin), I got to thinking that maybe if I drafted better RBs I'd still be alive, but other than Foster and Peterson, who is out there that's dependable?? I'm in a PPR and WRs are so much more valuable then RBs, and this year the RBs have stunk. So next year, I'm picking up all the starting WRs I can and then grab some scrubs at RB. I mean whatever chumps I pick up late have to be better than what Charles and Martin are doing for me.

I'm fairly serious on this. Next year, I'm not drafting a RB til the 7-8 round. After having my "stars" fall on their faces the last 2 weeks in the playoffs (Charles and Martin), I got to thinking that maybe if I drafted better RBs I'd still be alive, but other than Foster and Peterson, who is out there that's dependable?? I'm in a PPR and WRs are so much more valuable then RBs, and this year the RBs have stunk. So next year, I'm picking up all the starting WRs I can and then grab some scrubs at RB. I mean whatever chumps I pick up late have to be better than what Charles and Martin are doing for me.

:weird:

Guys, you have to give him a break here. He's obviously feeling the pain of having a RB lay an egg for a week and is feeling burned. By next season the pain will have subsided and he'll be thinking differently.

Zekez, FF is not for the faint of heart and after playing this game for over 20 years, I can tell you that over-reacting never helps your odds.

I didn't grab a rb til rounds 4 and 5 and made the finals. No strategy is guaranteed, and of those 2 I selected I ended up not starting either by the midway point, so I don't think it's that ridiculous. I'd probably draft one around the same position at the latest, not 7th 8th round for my first rb like this guy is saying but it's not as crazy as it seems

I kind of did this this year, but not by design. I was in a 2QB league for the first time and drafted 2QB first and second round then drafted 2WR Then 1TE so sixth and seventh round I drafted RBs. It ultimately worked out good. But I must admit I was in full panic mode come sixth round when I had zero RB.

Yeah Charles has been really inconsistent. Compared to ap and foster (aside from this week - kinda messes up my argument), he has a point where there aren't many others that u can plug into your lineup without worry. Idk. I also was panicking like crazy when I didn't have a back after the first 3 rounds but oh well, I'm laughing now as I bring in some money, compared to the guy who went rice Murray Charles missing the playoffs but talking $hit after the draft about his rb depth

It's all bad luck and timing. Yes, my entire team that had me undefeated until the playoffs took a dump on me all at once too. Maybe it was bad luck, karma, a cruel twist of fate, or just an entirely random occurance that happened to screw me over that particular week. It happens. I've won championships when those breaks went my way before, so I guess I can't complain too much. $^%& happens sometimes. Your draft strategy didn't lose you your title. One crappy weekend did.

It's all bad luck and timing. Yes, my entire team that had me undefeated until the playoffs took a dump on me all at once too. Maybe it was bad luck, karma, a cruel twist of fate, or just an entirely random occurance that happened to screw me over that particular week. It happens. I've won championships when those breaks went my way before, so I guess I can't complain too much. $^%& happens sometimes. Your draft strategy didn't lose you your title. One crappy weekend did.

This.

I have been eliminated while in possession of what is clearly the best team in the league. I have won titles with the best team. I have been eliminated with marginal teams that sneak into the playoffs and I have won titles with these teams too.

You have to draft well, make good roster moves, and make good lineup decisions to be in the running, but ultimately, luck will decide who the champ is going to be more times than not.

It's not like blowing your wad on Victor Cruz or Mike Wallace would have worked out either in the playoffs. There's this thing called luck. It tends to be pretty important to have on your side in one and done situations. I had a great team all year but ran into Cam Newton and Seattle D the 58-0 week. Chit happens.

I won this year :yay: with "Walk" DMC, & Steven Jackson on Bench for most of the season. I rode Trent Richardson & Mikel Leshoure for RB's for pretty much the whole season except BYE's. So He could technically be right but like was said earlier it's how you surround your team and up to the "actaul" players to play or a "crappy" weekend will rain on your party.

i was just about to make a post about this. rb's are overrated. i just won my league where i drafted wr-wr-wr-qb. it was a 14 team ppr league. i landed megatron, aj, julio and romo w my first four picks. all season, i juggled mediocre rbs but my wrs were usually enough to get the win. overall, i went 10-4 and just destroyed my opponent in the finals.

bottom line, dont draft rbs!

i was just about to make a post about this. rb's are overrated. i just won my league where i drafted wr-wr-wr-qb. it was a 14 team ppr league. i landed megatron, aj, julio and romo w my first four picks. all season, i juggled mediocre rbs but my wrs were usually enough to get the win. overall, i went 10-4 and just destroyed my opponent in the finals.

bottom line, dont draft rbs!

Would you be singing the same tune if you had selected Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings and Percy Harvin instead of those 3? Or would you be here saying going WR early sucks and you'll never do it again?

Every year, there are people that say they'll always do this or do that based on hitting on the irght players - in year;s past the owners that got Arian Foster late and the guys last year with Lynch late, etc were all espousing how easy it is to get RB value late and they'll never go RB early again, yet at the same time you had the guys that missed on the WRs early on and even more that didn't find that hidden gem RB in the mid/late rounds preaching that they will not do that again. Then the people that got a guy like Cruz late last year talk about how easy it is to get WR value late and that they;ll just load up on Rb early as they can always find a WR later.

No matter what strategy you employ, it still comes down to finding the right players at the right picks.

• Like 1

Would you be singing the same tune if you had selected Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings and Percy Harvin instead of those 3? Or would you be here saying going WR early sucks and you'll never do it again?

Every year, there are people that say they'll always do this or do that based on hitting on the irght players - in year;s past the owners that got Arian Foster late and the guys last year with Lynch late, etc were all espousing how easy it is to get RB value late and they'll never go RB early again, yet at the same time you had the guys that missed on the WRs early on and even more that didn't find that hidden gem RB in the mid/late rounds preaching that they will not do that again. Then the people that got a guy like Cruz late last year talk about how easy it is to get WR value late and that they;ll just load up on Rb early as they can always find a WR later.

No matter what strategy you employ, it still comes down to finding the right players at the right picks.

This

Last week I lost because of Roddy, and Wayne. Anybody can lay an egg on any given week.

I think every year i've had a decent to bad draft and what has really made each year work is using the waiver wire and timely trades. There is no right or wrong drafting technique.

Edited by Seahawk

Absolutely

Last week I lost because of Roddy, and Wayne. Anybody can lay an egg on any given week.

Sadly, this is not only true as well but seems to be increasingly the case.Roddy is a perfect example. Didnt practice all week before the Giants game and stuck his owners with a 16 yard game at home in a big game vs a very beatable secondary. Didnt practice all week again before saturday night's game and exploded for 150+ yards and 2 TDs (both of which were longer than the ones Roddy usually scores) against the Kitties. Many owners who subscribe to ASYS probably didnt live to decide whether or not to start White in Week 16 after Week 15. And then I know there are some (like me) who were scared of a repeat crap game and benched White Week 16.

More and more, it seems so many players are capable of putting up such polar numbers it can drive you nuts as an owner. How 'bout James Jones? Could have 3 TDs. Could play every snap and not even get targeted. Makes it hard to manage a team a lot of weeks...

I agree with those that state the flow of the draft and your draft slot have everything to do with it. I didn't go into the draft intending to wait til round 4 to get a RB, but it worked out that way. I wanted to get one in 3 but Jamal Charles was taken right before I picked. Rbs flew off the board so I didn't feel I was getting good value with some of the names left, so I went wr w Andre Johnson. I got lucky I admit since he hasn't missed a game and has put up stellar numbers. I hit on my first 3 picks (Brady gronk AJ), my picks in rds 4-8 I either traded/dropped/benched, and I made the finals.

The team I played in the finals was stacked, and he didn't suffer one major injury at any point. So it was waiver wire vs draft basically for the championship and he won.