[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black Monday can't come soon enough!

tazinib1

I'm pretty sure you all know that I'm counting the minutes until the Chargers are rid of the cancer that is Norv and AJ Smith. Along with those almost for sure casualties, here are the others I think feel the wrath of Black Monday:

Cleveland: Shurmer and Hecket are as good as gone

Carolina: Depending on who is hired as GM, Rivera could be packing his bags even after a strong end to the season.

Buffalo: Gailey is considered old news as well and some speculate that GM Buddy Nix could also be shown the door

Jacksonville: The new owner is looking for new blood. Murlarkey and GM Gene Smith could be on the chopping block.

New York: I think its time to fold up the tents and close the circus for good. Ryan is a good coach but he needs to stick to the defensive side of the ball. The circus ringleader GM could be looking for a new tent to call home.

At any rate, I'm rooting for Jim Caldwell to change his area code to 619. One of the best Asst Coaches in the league, he's due and I'd be stoked if he landed as HC in San Diego.

It has already been established that Mike Tannenbaum (aka "the accountant") will be relieved of his GM duties on Monday morning. The ugly part is that the Jets are so stupid that they intend to keep him employed in some kind of contract negotiation/cap guru capacity. Most Jets fans think that is pretty stupid. How would any new GM feel if the old GM who chose a lot of the bad players and negotiated a lot of the bad contracts is sitting in the same building. I know I wouldn't want him around 2nd guessing my decisions to cut players he bargained for. One would imagine that the new GM will be given authority to replace Rex if he sees fit, but there are rumors out there that the Jets are even more stupid than I thought in that they will force any new GM to keep Rex on board for another year. Ouch. If that's true, that will easily make some candidates reject accepting any calls from the Jets.

God this organization is consistently disfunctional no matter who the owner is and who is in charge. Never seems to change. I've been a fan since 1966. I am 54. I don't think I will see any improvement in my lifetime.

I'm pretty sure you all know that I'm counting the minutes until the Chargers are rid of the cancer that is Norv and AJ Smith. Along with those almost for sure casualties, here are the others I think feel the wrath of Black Monday:

Cleveland: Shurmer and Hecket are as good as gone- Shurmer leaving surprises me a bit since he has a history with Banner but I keep reading its going to be a done deal so we'll see. I think Shurmer could be a good OC and probably would be alright as a HC if he's given more than 1 year

Carolina: Depending on who is hired as GM, Rivera could be packing his bags even after a strong end to the season.- The GM is already gone which probably means the end for Rivera as well. Again, another guy I think could be OK given time but may be a better DC

Buffalo: Gailey is considered old news as well and some speculate that GM Buddy Nix could also be shown the door- Strange thing is Nix talks like he isn't going anywhere. Another story of a HC being given crap to work with

Jacksonville: The new owner is looking for new blood. Murlarkey and GM Gene Smith could be on the chopping block.- Smith is terrible, not sure on Mularky but didn't he already fail once (in Buf?). New owner, new administration

New York: I think its time to fold up the tents and close the circus for good. Ryan is a good coach but he needs to stick to the defensive side of the ball. The circus ringleader GM could be looking for a new tent to call home. Another organization that's mess. Ryan cut his own throat by not hiring a real OC. He'll get another shot

At any rate, I'm rooting for Jim Caldwell to change his area code to 619. One of the best Asst Coaches in the league, he's due and I'd be stoked if he landed as HC in San Diego.- ooof, complete and utter failure as a HC. His first shot as an OC in Bal. He was a QB coach at that QB factory Penn State and Peyton's QB coach. Not sure he ever did much period. Terribly nice guy but pretty over matched as anything other than a position coach IMO

Some guys that should get looks at HC

Rob Ryan- he'll have the same problems as his old man and brother with ignoring the O

Jay Gruden- The guy I want in Philly

Mike Zimmer- Long overdue

DC in SF- can't remember his name but considering the talent they have, I'm not sure what he does, LOL

Spagnolo?- I think he can be as good as John fox :unsure:

Reid will land another job and never win a SB there either. Norv is done as a HC IMO

Chip Kelly probably needs his own thread but not someone I want running my team. Not sure how that O will play in the NFL and he may want too much control.

Who are the other college guys being talked about?

Edited by Zooty

Some more thoughts

Oak- Really talk about Allen being canned after 1 year? But Al isn't there any more and the players just aren't very good after digging out the cap mess.

Bruce Arians- Finally get a shot at HC? Proved a lot in IND this year. Another one I wouldn't mind in Philly

Titans- Munchak could go too. That team under-achieved IMO

KC- Interested to see who the bring in to go with their shiny new rookie QB. Romeo will catch on as a DC and Pioli will get another job somewhere

ARZ- Wiz is probably gone too

Dallas- can Jerry resist firing Garrett after another failed run?

Wow possibly 10 openings? Probably end up with 8 but that's a lot of turnover and a lot of guys only being given 1 or 2 years. Just not enough time to see if they can coach or not IMO

• Like 1

Another name being floated around as the next HC in San Diego is Steve Mariucci. After his debacle in Detroit, I'm not sure he'd be so welcome.

As far as Jim Caldwell is concerned, complete and utter failure??? He guided the Colts to the SB and the playoffs the next year until the P.Manning fiasco derailed any type of successful season in 2011. Sure he inherited a team assembled by Dungy, but every incoming HC does the same. If you are referring to his awful stint as the Wake Forest HC, then yes, I agree. That was 12 years ago, however.

BTW: I've been pining for Chuckie for years now. Smash mouth football back in San Diego? I'll buy that for a dollar!!!

Edited by tazinib1

Some more thoughts

Oak- Really talk about Allen being canned after 1 year? But Al isn't there any more and the players just aren't very good after digging out the cap mess.

Bruce Arians- Finally get a shot at HC? Proved a lot in IND this year. Another one I wouldn't mind in Philly

Titans- Munchak could go too. That team under-achieved IMO

KC- Interested to see who the bring in to go with their shiny new rookie QB. Romeo will catch on as a DC and Pioli will get another job somewhere

ARZ- Wiz is probably gone too

Wow possibly 10 openings? Probably end up with 8 but that's a lot of turnover and a lot of guys only being given 1 or 2 years. Just not enough time to see if they can coach or not IMO

I was hoping somebody would fill in what I missed. My list was just off the top of my head as I'm enjoying this delicious X-Mas ham and cheddar cheese omelet.

Rob Ryan- he'll have the same problems as his old man and brother with ignoring the O

Jay Gruden- The guy I want in Philly

Mike Zimmer- Long overdue

DC in SF- can't remember his name but considering the talent they have, I'm not sure what he does, LOL

Spagnolo?- I think he can be as good as John fox :unsure:

Reid will land another job and never win a SB there either. Norv is done as a HC IMO

Chip Kelly probably needs his own thread but not someone I want running my team. Not sure how that O will play in the NFL and he may want too much control.

Who are the other college guys being talked about?

FYI, Shurmur has already had 2 seasons in CLE. I know that 2011 was a tough year for a new HC with the lockout, especially with a rookie starting QB (McCoy) and new offense to implement. I agree that he could be a decent HC, and wouldn't mind if he got another year. But I doubt he stays, Haslam has put his guy (Banner) in place and he'll want his own people (GM, coach) making the calls.

I was also surprised that Taz is hoping for Caldwell, since most Colt fans thought he was a failure in his 3 years (26-22 record).

Some more thoughts

Sadly that seems to be the new normal in the NFL. If you cannot win or turn around a horrible team in 1-2 years you're gone. Never mind that constant change has never been a recipe for success in the NFL or any major sport. But the fans and media make a lot of noise and owners feel they have to do something.

AJ hasn't had a good draft in years. Some of his decisions on free agents have been bad as well.

Norv might be a nice guy and good oc but as a head coach he's a disaster.

I'd love to have Chuckie or Reid in SD. Maybe one of them can get Rivers back to where he was a couple years ago.

I was also surprised that Taz is hoping for Caldwell, since most Colt fans thought he was a failure in his 3 years (26-22 record).

Part of that "failure" was a 2-14 season in which P.Manning did not play. Not sure how you can coach yourself out of a paper bag with the scrubs they ran out at QB. How anyone is considered a "failure" with 2 straight division championships and a SB appearance is beyond me.

Is Caldwell the answer in SD? I'm not sure but I wouldn't jump up and down and scream bloody murder in the grocery store parking lot while my son is pushing a cart full of groceries to the car like I did when Norv was hired. Jim is one of a handful of HC's I would love to see in SD. Chuckie, as I have stated many times before, is the guy I would consider running through QualComm stadium naked if hired.

And if I had to choose between AJ Smith or Norv getting the boot, I would somehow reconstruct the crime, aka JFK's Magic Bullet.

Another name being floated around as the next HC in San Diego is Steve Mariucci. After his debacle in Detroit, I'm not sure he'd be so welcome.

As far as Jim Caldwell is concerned, complete and utter failure??? He guided the Colts to the SB and the playoffs the next year until the P.Manning fiasco derailed any type of successful season in 2011. Sure he inherited a team assembled by Dungy, but every incoming HC does the same. If you are referring to his awful stint as the Wake Forest HC, then yes, I agree. That was 12 years ago, however.

BTW: I've been pining for Chuckie for years now. Smash mouth football back in San Diego? I'll buy that for a dollar!!!

Mooch? LOL, no

Yeah, Calwell always looked lost on the sidelines and IMO Peyton lead that team not JC

Chuckie, mehhh. I want Jay Gruden. The guy who has Dalton breaking Marino's records

FYI, Shurmur has already had 2 seasons in CLE. I know that 2011 was a tough year for a new HC with the lockout, especially with a rookie starting QB (McCoy) and new offense to implement. I agree that he could be a decent HC, and wouldn't mind if he got another year. But I doubt he stays, Haslam has put his guy (Banner) in place and he'll want his own people (GM, coach) making the calls.

I'm just not so sure that Shurmer can't be Banner's guy. Shurmer was the QB coach in Philly when McNabb was having some of his better years. I'd bet anything that whoever Banner brings in as "his guy" has a history in Philly

I hope not, he has guys off the street playing their asses off for him. I'd like to see what he can do with actual healthy players that have been in his system a few years.

Not sure where I stand on Garrett yet. Not sure how you fire him now though...O is starting to come around 2nd half and again, the teams been killed by injuries.

Only way he;s fired IMO is if they get blown out tomorrow. Not sure if it even happens then

edit: I f'ed that quote up pretty good. My thoughts on Ryan are inside zootys quote lol

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

I'm just not so sure that Shurmer can't be Banner's guy. Shurmer was the QB coach in Philly when McNabb was having some of his better years. I'd bet anything that whoever Banner brings in as "his guy" has a history in Philly

Andy Reid himself will probably be available. They don't come with a much better pedigree than that - though IMO Reid would probably be better served by taking a year or two off of coaching.

Andy Reid himself will probably be available. They don't come with a much better pedigree than that - though IMO Reid would probably be better served by taking a year or two off of coaching.

I don't think Reid and Banner will work together again. There was some weird behind the scenes stuff and a power struggle and it seems Banner lost

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the decision has already been made to fire Browns coach Pat Shurmur and GM Tom Heckert following Sunday's game against the Steelers.

New owner Jimmy Haslam vowed to make his decision on the fates of Shurmur and Heckert shortly after the season, and it's been widely assumed that both would be fired. It's not yet known if any members of the coaching staff or front office will remain, but a house cleaning is likely in order. The Browns are expected to immediately begin their search for their next general manager, and have been linked to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble. The Plain Dealer also speculates that Chiefs GM Scott Pioli could be a candidate should he become available.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dec 29 - 8:58 PM

Just read this on cbssports, sounds like Reid likes San Diego.

http://www.cbssports...to-chargers-job

Interesting. I knew he was born in LA and had a home in San Diego but had no idea he was interested in the job. I would welcome him with open arms. Are you kidding me? 5 NFC Championship appearances and a Super Bowl berth? Hell yeah...bring on the Walrus!!

ETA: Well it didn't take long for this one to hit the web.

NFL.com

Edited by tazinib1

:blink:

what?

ETA: Oh the "he's due" part. lol...seems I forgot some of the sentence on that one. I need a proof reader before I submit my posts at times.

Let's make all make sure that Zooty is sitting down for this one:

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post hears that "people close to" Jon Gruden think that he has a good chance of landing in Philadelphia as the Eagles head coach.

"People around the NFL who know are convinced Jon Gruden is coming back to coaching this year, provided the right situation presents itself. I've been told Gruden feels he needs to come back now if he's ever going to do it. The right situation for Gruden very well could be in Philadelphia," Pompei writes. Gruden's name has gone cold over the past month or so with Chip Kelly's name perking up all across the league, but Gruden would seem to be a better fit with Nick Foles if the Eagles deem him the quarterback of the future.

Source: National Football Post

Edited by tazinib1

Matthews would be the perfect rb for some smashmouth football :lol: