[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Head coaching candidates...

keggerz

Reading the latest that Taz posted about Reid, it makes you really wonder who in KC is making the decision to hire Reid. If he brings in Heckert, what does that mean for Pioli?

Still kind of surprised that Reid is willing to pretty much start over with rebuilding the Chiefs, instead of AZ or SD which need fewer changes to be competitive (IMHO).

I don't think the Chiefs need much more than a QB and a defensive piece or two to be competitive. They have a lot of good talent if you can get them all playing 100%.

Reading the latest that Taz posted about Reid, it makes you really wonder who in KC is making the decision to hire Reid. If he brings in Heckert, what does that mean for Pioli?

Still kind of surprised that Reid is willing to pretty much start over with rebuilding the Chiefs, instead of AZ or SD which need fewer changes to be competitive (IMHO).

I don't agree. A total rebuild is not necessary. They have some players on the team, and that #1 pick. Get a decent stop-gap QB in there for a year until a decent one comes available (yes, even Mike Vick would suffice) and a turnaround could come quickly.

Reid comes into a situation with a rabid and loyal fan base, whose expectations are at an all-time low. People don't really give a crap about their home teams in Arizona and San Diego, and while the Chiefs ownership may not be what it used to be, it is nowhere near a clueless as the ownership in AZ or SD. I can see why Reid would want to coach the Chiefs, and not the others, and the Chiefs could certainly do worse than Reid.

I'm not doing cartwheels over this, but it makes sense to me.

People don't really give a crap about their home teams in Arizona and San Diego,

There are more fans that do here in SD than you might think. The ineptitude at GM and HC has been the bar talk for a couple years now. Charger fans are loyal and knowledgeable more than people on the right coast give them credit for.

Reid would probably have a couple years before he starts feeling the pressure in KC as opposed to AZ or SD where he would probably be expected to make the playoffs pretty much right away.

It makes perfect sense, it's like a fresh start for Reid as it won't be as much pressure like it was in Philadelphia. The Eagles were expected to make the playoffs each year with the talent they have just like SD was supposed to make the playoffs with the talent they have as well. There was a reason why the GM in Philadelphia said 8-8 would be unacceptable because they're supposed to be a playoff contender especially after 09. The Chiefs he has time to make gradual improvements and even if he makes them 8-8 that is significant process from this year when they were 2-14. The Chiefs give him more flexibility to make progress, establish relationships and build something instead of coming in with automatic pressure. As long as the Chiefs defense improves which they have good players and they get a decent QB and somehow keep Bowe and have Charles they should do better.

There are more fans that do here in SD than you might think. The ineptitude at GM and HC has been the bar talk for a couple years now. Charger fans are loyal and knowledgeable more than people on the right coast give them credit for.

Obviously my comments on the fans were generalizations. I full well realize every team has a core fan base that cares a lot about the team. But the perception is what I stated, and perceptions sometimes drive decisions.

Obviously my comments on the fans were generalizations. I full well realize every team has a core fan base that cares a lot about the team. But the perception is what I stated, and perceptions sometimes drive decisions.

I hear Tom Gamble is going to interview for the GM job. What a coup that would be.

Per rotoworld.com,

Bears ask permission to interview Bruce Arians.

Doesn't that have to wait until they are out of the playoffs? I thought only coaches on teams out of the playoffs (or those with the buy this week) could be interviewed.

Doesn't that have to wait until they are out of the playoffs? I thought only coaches on teams out of the playoffs (or those with the buy this week) could be interviewed.

Kuharsky covered that in a recent AFC South blog post:

"Should the Colts lose Sunday in Baltimore, Arians could then interview for jobs.

Should they win, here’s what the league’s rules on tampering dictate could happen going forward:

“For assistant coaches of clubs that participate in a Wild Card game and advance to the Divisional Playoffs, interviews must be conducted after the Wild Card games and prior to the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games. An inquiring club is permitted only one interview with an assistant coach while his team is competing in the postseason, and there shall be no other direct or indirect contact between any employee or agent of the inquiring club and the assistant coach or any representative or agent of the assistant coach.”

Three other points:

• If the Colts advanced to the Super Bowl, they could grant permission for a second interview after the conference championship but no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

• A contract couldn’t be agreed upon until the Colts were finished playing.

• If the Colts grant permission to one team, they would have to grant permission to any team that asks. “Permission cannot be granted selectively,” the tampering policy says."

• Like 1

You can remove O'Brien from this list:

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports that Bill O'Brien will stay at Penn State and will not interview with any more NFL teams this year.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora also has the same information. Caplan says that O'Brien interviewed with the Eagles on Thursday, and the Browns reportedly interviewed him earlier in the week. The chances of O'Brien leaving Happy Valley always seemed slim, so it shouldn't come as a major shock. Caplan has been on top of the situation from the start, and he got the sense that O'Brien would not make the leap back to the pros after one season with the Nittany Lions. Syracuse's Doug Marrone is now back in the No. 2 slot behind Chip Kelly among college coaches possibly heading to the NFL.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Edited by tazinib1

Mike Tice is the front runner for the OC gig in Tennessee??? You got to be kidding me. There goes any value CJ2 has in 2013.

I don't get the appeal that teams show for Mike Tice.

I could see Arians land in San Diego and maintain the relationship with the Pagano Bothers. I just see this as making sense! No need to fire Pagano as I see continuity and the improvement worth holding on to. Arians is friends with both, and I can see him being rewarded for his excellent job standing in for the older brother.

I hope this happens.

• Like 1

:shocking: I seriously have no idea how this would affect the fantasy value of the likes of Weeden, Richardson and Little.

Weeden will be shipped out of town. Kelly needs a mobile QB to run his system. Weeden might as well have concrete shoes on. Oregon has averaged 273.1yds rushing per game in the 3yrs Chip has run the ship. I think it bodes very well for Richardson. Little I'm not so sure about. He looks to have solved the dropsies though...he's an interesting guy to keep an eye on in Dynasty's.

isn't Lovie Smith in contention too.

Please never say that name again when talking about Charger football. We don't want Lovie here.

My money is on Arians and either 49'rs Tom Gamble or the Colts Tom Telesco (who met with the Chargers today)