[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ideas/suggestions for rules

steelnlace

Any one have any uniques rules or payouts in their leagues? We are kicking some around for next year and I thought someone in here might have something that works well in their league. We have been playing together since ''93 or '94. Started as a TD only (bleah). Not a PPR but a hybrid of TD/yardage scoring system currently. Trying to get flex player in, voted down last 2 yrs but making progress. Auction was suggested, any ideas on that? We pay $3 for waiver pickups, which goes into a waiver pool, like a consolation bracket in playoffs. Entry fee pays 1st and 2nd head-to-head, and top 3 in points. Thanks for any input.

I'm just trying to push for 1 or 2 Flex options this next year. But we did use blind bidding this year. Most guys loved it, and some take a bit to warm up too it. Just make sure you have a first come pickup after the BB Waivers are handed out.

- I've also tried to keep everyone interested till the end. Not everyones taste, but I payout 7 of the 8 teams that make the playoffs and our (so called B side playoffs) winner receives cash and top pick in the following year. Better you do in the B side, better Draft position the following year.

- Tried the whole NFL Pool thing two years running. But not enough interest.

- We used double headers all season. It turned out very interesting.

Some things that add fun/flexibility rule wise:

Flex player

IDP (though, as detlef mentioned, I would see this as a stretch given you can;t get them to go with a flex)

PPR Scoring (either 1 per, or weighted by position)

If looking for fun, distance based TD bonuses (ie, 6 pts for 20 yards or less, 9 points for 20-40 yards and 12 points for 40+ yards - modify as one sees fit)

Not sure if you have it , but have TE separate from WR

Auction can be fun - keep a salary cap for the year and have waivers be blind bid and tied to one's available cap room. Definitely adds a layer of strategy/complexity.

If doing a draft still, go with blind bid waivers in lieu of a traditional waiver wire system

As for payouts, I've played in leagues that do weekly payouts - some did simple weekly high score, others were more creative and had a different category each week that was paid out. Some examples of these categories:

Highest scoring losing team

Lowest scoring winning team

Biggest blowout

Closest loss

Lowest ranked team (based on standings) to win

Essentially they added a fun wrinkle to look for each week and as they weren;t always about scoring the most points, team's that were weaker/out of it had something to play for.

In several BoTH leagues here, we do weekly skins of $10 to the high scorer, which helps to keep interest going throughout the entire season (and with them being dynasty gives some incentive not to tank as well).

In my local, we rewarded the high points scorer and division winners with most of their money back, which has been nice, but a little more problematic as we lowered buy-ins and saw the winner's pot take a hit.

So I guess a good question is, what are you trying to reward and accomplish?

As for things like lineup requirements and scoring, that has a lot to do with the size of your league. In my 12-team I love 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE no flex, but in bigger leagues like PPR and only having 1 RB required with 2 flexes for lineup flexibility in those shallower leagues.

Some people here swear by auctions, but I think your league really has to be on board with the concept, because it's not for everyone, such as myself who prefers to draft rather than possibly overthink an auction.

12 team keeper (5 players no limits/restriction)

We have 6 make the playoffs, they all get something (losers in the first round get half their entry fee (75), winners get the whole, as do the top 2 who get byes). The payouts increase from there, with I think another 75 for the next win, and big money to the top 2.

We also have a high points pot, comprised of our roster move money ($2 per add), split 50/30/20 % by the top 3. A few years some of those (including high points this year) did not make the playoffs.

We also do a weekly high score prize, about $25, which helps to keep teams from tanking. Unless your roster is really depleted, you never know when you might go off one week and win that.

Flex is a good idea, used to have it but removed, hoping we consider adding it again.

Good luck keeping your league fun and interesting after so many years. We're also about 20 years old and have had many of the same owners will only baby steps in rule changes.

Our 14 Team league had 8 make the playoffs and 6 go into a so called B side playoff.

We have a PPR league

Have a TE position

(Want to try a Flex this next year to open up things up on waivers)

Use a Blind Bid feature for Waiver pickups

Use a 4 week playoff format

Have a NFL playoff challenge for cash

Are you gamblers? We have one league where points are used to determine pay-in and pay-out. Allpoints are added and an average points per team calculated. If you're below the average you pay $5 per point you are below; above you get paid $5 each! (In this league the average points per team per game is around 45 or so - wierd scoring system).

I also played in a league where the head-to-head each week was $25 to winner of a game from the loser! That keeps you working on your team all year!