[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waivers using CBS Sportline

jjwbean

from cbs

To setup a waiver process in your league, please go to Commish Tools/League Settings/Set Transaction Policies. On this page, set your Add/Drop Policy to User waivers process to do add/drops.

The commissioner can adjust how long a dropped player will be on waivers by selecting the length of the Waiver Period.

The commissioner can select which nights waivers will run in your league by selecting the nights in the Waivers Run area. The waiver process is a continuously rolling process that never resets.

Please keep in mind that waivers will only process on days you have selected under Waivers Run, regardless of what your Waiver Period is set to.

If you select to use a Waivers Process for your league's transactions, this is how it will work:

After your draft or manual roster entry, all players will go on waivers. Once rosters are entered, the commissioner must manually start the waivers process by going to Commish Tools/Tools/In-season Rosters and clicking Start Waivers.

Once the commissioner has started waivers, all players not on a fantasy team will go on waivers for a minimum of 48 hours. The default waiver order will be the reverse of the draft order. Even if your league doesn't draft on-line, the waiver order can be set by the commissioner of your league on the In-season Rosters page by clicking Edit Waiver Order.

Players will be awarded based on the waiver order. Once an owner makes a successful waiver claim, they will go to the bottom of the waiver order. Once a player clears waivers they become a Free Agent and are eligible to be picked up on a first come, first served basis. Only players that are dropped or players that are new to the player pool will ever go back on waivers.

In order to provide an equal opportunity for all owners to add players to their roster that are new to the free agent pool, a Waiver process can be implemented. Owners' requests to add players on waivers to their roster are not executed immediately, but are put in a pending status for a least 24 hours. This allows multiple teams to request the same players. Most nights between midnight and 6AM ET a Waiver Process will be run, executing the pending requests in Waiver Rank order (so, for example, if waivers runs in your league on Tuesdays, it will run late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning). If you play in a non-commissioner league, waivers will run every night. If you play in a commissioner league, your commissioner can select which nights waivers will run. Check League Home, Rules to see which nights it does run in your league.

When a transaction is made during the Waiver Process, the team's rank is set to last and everyone else's rank moves up one (check the League Home, Rules page to see if your league's waiver ranks are reset every week.) All transactions during the waiver process are effective for the next scoring period.

Conditions for Waivers

NFL players are placed on waivers under the following circumstances:

A player is released during a waiver process: A player released during a waiver process is on waivers until the next waiver process. Example: An owner requests Player A on waivers and drops Player B. This request is pending until the waiver process runs. During the waiver process, the owner is awarded Player A, and Player B is released from the roster and placed on waivers until the next waiver process.

A player is released during a free agent acquisition: Requests for players not on waivers are executed immediately. However, the player dropped in a non-waivers transaction is placed on waivers for at least 24 hours. If a waiver process runs prior to 24 hours the player will remain on waivers until the following waivers process. Example: An owner drops a player on Wednesday afternoon in order to pick up a free agent. The player dropped remains on waivers until Thursday night's waiver process.

Waiver Rank

During a waiver process, pending transactions are processed in an order determined by each team's waiver rank. The team with the highest waiver rank will get its first requested player. If that team's highest pending transaction can't be executed because another team has the requested player, the transaction gets deleted and the team's next transaction, if one exists, is then executed. When a team gets a requested player, the team's waiver rank is dropped to the end and every other team moves up one and the process is continued. If a team doesn't have any pending transactions because all players requested were taken by other teams, or the owner simply didn't request any players, the team's turn is skipped but the waiver rank is not dropped. If a team has the highest waiver rank after Monday night and doesn't request any players for Tuesday night's waiver process, that team will still have the highest rank for the next process. The waiver rank for all teams at the end of one waiver process will be the starting rank for the next process. Check the League Home, Rules page, or ask your league's commissioner, if your league's waiver ranks are reset every week based on reverse order of the standings.

Preseason Waivers and Initial Waiver Rank

For Football Commissioner leagues, the first waivers process will run sometime on or after June 1, 2007 as determined by your commissioner. Check with your commissioner for the exact date. The default waiver rank order will be the reverse of the draft order. Even if your league doesn't draft on-line the waiver order can be set by the commissioner of your league on this page.

Well the site and Whomper provided info on how to set it up. What kind of input are you looking for? We run our league on CBS, and I am co-commish so I'm pretty familiar with it.

I think we run waivers twice a week (Tue and Friday, may have added another on Wed to allow players dropped on Tuesday to be added before the Thursday games). We use current standings to set waiver order, and eredo that every week (worst record gets first pick). That part is handled by the CBS site.

Depending on how you want your waiver order to be set it may need to be reset each week. If you just want to use draft order, and then let the order stay all year (owners move to the bottom of the list each time they make a move) you probably don't need to change it regularly either, just don't have it reset each week.

I'm having a little trouble finding the page where we define the waivers on CBS site, could be it is gone/hidden since the season is over.

I am commissioner of a league that uses CBS. We have it set so FAAB (blind bidding) runs each night wed - sat. The system maintains the waiver order (as that is the tiebreaker in case of two or more teams bidding the same amount on a player). That last part is not really relevant to the OP's question, but I believe it's within the same set-up page that he could designate if he wants the system to maintain the waiver order (and what that is based on (ie reverse standings)) or have the commish manually manipulate it/how often/etc.

We run ours worst to first every wednesday at 2 am then fcfs up to game time on Thursday. Guys complained this year because of the Thursday games that things were getting cut off too early every week. Can you run waivers after the Thursday games ? How would you recommend setting that up ?

thanks for the responses. I am most concerned with the amount of burden the waivers process put on the commisioner each week

It will depend on how you implement it. For us once its set to start the season the commish doesn't have to do anything. The waiver is reset each week, the system processes the waivers, etc. You might need to educate the owners some on entering their waivers, how to do it right if making multilple moves, etc. Went through that with an owner recently, and he's been in the league for years but didn't quite understand how it worked (say I want players A or B, as well as C but if neither A or B are there I want to drop the same guy to get C. You can do all that with multiple waiver claims that involve adding the same player while dropping diferent ones.)

Ok that may not have made sense, a long day of programming has got my brain on OD. Time to go home and have a beer.

• 1 year later...

OK, quick question on this. Can I do the following?

1 - I want all free agents to be on waivers

2 - Waivers RUN on Thursday (1-4 am)

3 - After waivers run, free agency begins (first come first served)

4 - Free agency ends Sunday at Game time

Can someone tell me what needs to be set to do this? CBS set something up, but it seems wrong and I want to verify.

Thanks so much!!!

Yes you can do that, check these settings under commish tools

- Set Transaction Policies

- Add/Drop Policy - set to Use Waivers

- Free Agent players always on waivers - uncheck

- Waivers Run - check Wed, waivers will run after Wed, usually 2-3 AM the next day

- Free Agent players always on waivers - should be unchecked

I'm not sure the other setting matter much. If you want to PM me an email address I can send you a screen shot of our settings. You should also click the little "i" circles next to each setting to learn more about what they do.

There was also a "start waivers" setting that was in the Rosters column on the Commish Tools page, which was set to start next week, instead of this week. That was preventing any moves this past week since it would not run waivers, and until waivers run the free agents aren't allowed to be added on FCFS basis.

• Like 1

Yes you can do that, check these settings under commish tools

- Set Transaction Policies

- Add/Drop Policy - set to Use Waivers

- Free Agent players always on waivers - uncheck

- Waivers Run - check Wed, waivers will run after Wed, usually 2-3 AM the next day

- Free Agent players always on waivers - should be unchecked

I'm not sure the other setting matter much. If you want to PM me an email address I can send you a screen shot of our settings. You should also click the little "i" circles next to each setting to learn more about what they do.

There was also a "start waivers" setting that was in the Rosters column on the Commish Tools page, which was set to start next week, instead of this week. That was preventing any moves this past week since it would not run waivers, and until waivers run the free agents aren't allowed to be added on FCFS basis.

So I choose Wednesday and it wont run until late or the next morning (thursday?)

Thanks and I sent a PM.

• 9 years later...
On 9/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, Don BFFL said:

I have started waivers but want to move it up a day. How do I change the start of waivers that I set previously?

You can easily change your waivers/FAB start date on the Add/Drop page with the Commissioner Tool. Just use these steps on your computer:

Go to your league at cbssports.com, then:

1. Click the Commissioner Tools icon in the top right corner of the site to open this page.
  2. In the Roster Management section, click the Add/Drop link. At the top of Add/Drop page, you'll see this message: 
The Waivers/FAB process will begin on (the current waivers start date) at approximately 2AM EST. Please be sure to have any bids/claims in before that time. Click the link to Change the FAB/Waivers start date. 
  1. On the next page, you can change the date your Waivers/FAB will start.
  2. Once you have selected a date, click Confirm and the system will post a message to the league feed, announcing the date. Team managers who have enabled notifications will receive an email as well. Please be advised that the initial waiver run will occur approximately at 2am ET of the date selected.
  • Thanks 1

Just a warning for CBS Sportsline fantasy users, always make sure your divisions are assigned before entering schedules manually (if you use those features). We had everything setup, noticed the divisions did not get updated (we change every year) and after fixing the divisions the entire schedule was messed up, including the week one scores we saw. This was done Tuesday afternoon, the results were already locked based on what happened. After redoing the schedules it seems to be OK.

Not sure why one would have anything to do with the other, I think it tripped us up once before, guess we didn't learn that time. 

I really hate this start date Bullshit with cbs waivers every year . I clicked start date  thursday 9/14 because I want waivers to run 2 am Thursday when I go to bed wed night , I want to wake up Thursday mornings and waivers ran. Now it looks like by clicking Thursday , the waivers will run friday ? Meanwhile under the transactions setting I have it set to run every wed 

Edited by whomper

2 minutes ago, whomper said:

I really hate this start date Bullshit with cbs waivers every year . I clicked thursday because I want waivers to run 2 am Thursday when I go to bed thursday night , I want to wake up Thursday mornings and waivers ran. Now it looks like by clicking Thursday , the waivers will run friday ? Meanwhile under the transactions setting I have it set to run every wed 

I've been on CBS for 20+ years, pretty sure the waivers were always run the morning following that day, not the morning of the date. Is that the "start date" part you hate? 

I am co-commissioner of my league, the other guy does more of this setup for a new season but I've looked at often. I believe we had changed some years ago to run waivers every day that is allowed (Tue-Sun). And the Tue run did occur last night, around 2AM eastern time.

Below are our waiver settings from Transaction Policies page, I don't think we've changed much over the years, maybe adding waivers for every day and using the accelerated waivers feature. 

image.png.9871d52898b805f570d966e06fe6d367.png

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I've been on CBS for 20+ years, pretty sure the waivers were always run the morning following that day, not the morning of the date. Is that the "start date" part you hate? 

I am co-commissioner of my league, the other guy does more of this setup for a new season but I've looked at often. I believe we had changed some years ago to run waivers every day that is allowed (Tue-Sun). And the Tue run did occur last night, around 2AM eastern time.

Below are our waiver settings from Transaction Policies page, I don't think we've changed much over the years, maybe adding waivers for every day and using the accelerated waivers feature. 

image.png.9871d52898b805f570d966e06fe6d367.png

In that section , I have every Wed selected.But they ask you for a start date and I clicked Thursday 9/14 thinking that means at 2 am Thursday , they will run . I emailed their help desk to hopefully straighten it out. If waivers dont run tomorrow its going to be a frigging mess 

8 minutes ago, whomper said:

In that section , I have every Wed selected.But they ask you for a start date and I clicked Thursday 9/14 thinking that means at 2 am Thursday , they will run . I emailed their help desk to hopefully straighten it out. If waivers dont run tomorrow its going to be a frigging mess 

Ok gotcha.  If you only run waivers on Wed (really 1-4AM Thursday) the date probably needs to today 9/13 so they run tonight, and I cannot see how it could harm anything (allow an earlier waiver).