[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What no Packers / 49er's Thread?

Ed Hoyle

Well, I was enough in shock after the Broncos choking, that I didn't even think about starting a Packer Game thread. I was more surprised to see that no one else had started one.

How can a team like GB go from "Peaking at the Right Time to make a deep run...maybe win it all" to "Being embarrassed on the Road"??

Here goes with my thoughts from the game...

1. The Defense sucked all night and looked quite foolish. (Prime Example...when Clay Matthews got played out of his jock with the fake handoff to Gore and Kapaernick (sp?_) got a 16-17 yard gain around him. (Think Joe Webb with more practice/playing time.) Some comments on NFL.com are calling for Capers to be fired. This can't be blamed solely on Capers, but someone should have made an adjustment. After all, they held AP to 90 yards the week before.

2. Dujuan Harris seems like a decent RB with the desire to play well. Keep him. He played better than A Green and C Benson did earlier in the year.

3. GB should find a way to keep Jennings. He was one of the WR leaders on GB last night. (He should have caught the one that went off his finger tips.) Just think of the problems a 4 WR set (Cobb, Jennings, Jones, Nelson) could cause if they used it more. **They would need to find an O-Line though.

4. Find some O-Line players that can block and make it through an entire game. Give AR time to play and he'll do his job. (The pick in the first half did look very Favre-like.)

5. They should have let Driver play more considering it's probably his last year in GB. He made some great catches weeks ago when playing and others were injured. What could it hurt?

6. S.F. came to play and GB thought they'd walk through with their Offense. If you score 31 in the NFL, you should win....but not when your D and ST (muffed Punt/Kickoff Returns) get burned horribly all night long.

Green Bay was outplayed by a better team. They will have a chance to do better next year, but need to make it further to be elite.

Edited by Ed Hoyle

GB was not prepared for the Pistol and it was on purpose.

49ers OC Greg Roman revealed after Saturday night's Divisional Round win that the Niners intentionally did not use the Pistol formation in Week 17 and barely used it in Week 16 to throw opponents off.

The Niners wanted opponents to think they'd scrapped the Pistol. They proceeded to use it on nearly 50 percent of their Divisional Round plays. "We didn't use it against the Cardinals because we wanted people to think we weren't going to use it," Roman said. Observed Packers GM Ted Thompson of Colin Kaepernick's performance, "That was unbelievable. He did everything. I mean, I had read the press clippings and seen some of the highlights. But to watch what he did ... oh my, that was special."

The Niners will have a far tougher job against the Seahawks if they advance.

Fair enough....

GB was not prepared for the Pistol and it was on purpose.

But, GB is a Professional NFL Team and should have watched enough "season" film to be fooled for both halves of the game.

SF simply dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It also seemed like GB was trying to hard to run the ball, and having very little success. I suppose trying to keep the D honest.

Brilliant game planning by Roman and shelving the pistol the last two games to throw teams off, brilliant.

I would have liked to play Sea again. The rivalry will be set for years. So many experts picked GB and I'm glad the niners took care of business without any doubt.

Green Bay got their asses handed to them and proved that they played above their ability in many games this year. The Offense is great, but the D/ST finally blew up in a bad way. SF beat GB early in the year and deserved to beat them again this last time. SF is purely a better team right now.

With all the talk of GB being unstoppable and one of greatest...this last letdown should be a wake up call to get an OL and D/ST players that play a "FULL GAME".

GB is a good team, but far from elite.