[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Division Loyalty?

McBoog

I have heard some folks say that they want their division playoff team to go all the way if their team doesn't make the playoffs (AFC West fans rooting for the Donkeys for example).

I however, dislike the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos so much, I almost always root against them no matter who they play. I loved watching the Broncos lose a heartbreaker in Denver to the ravens. Even though I despise Ray Lewis, it was still better to watch the Broncos lose.

And I will pretty certainly be rooting for the NFC finalist against either the patriots or the ravens.

Where do you all stand on this topic?

100% root against the AFC West no matter what. ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. Who wants to listen to a division rival boast about a SB win??? Not me that's for damned sure.

It all depends on who is playing when it comes to conference. I despise the Giants and Eli's punk ass grin. I hate the Patriots for reasons I should not have to explain. I can go on and on but you get the picture.

I used to feel pretty much like you do, except I am an NFC guy and will almost always root for the NFC team in the Superbowl (Cowboys of the 90's are the only exception, I just got so sick them beating SF in the playoffs!).

Then the NFC West became the crappiest division in football and I had to hear so much BS from the blowhards in the media it started to change my mind. When Seattle made the playoffs at 7-9 and these a-holes on sports talk started calling for re-writing the rules to deny a division champ a playoff spot because they wanted "a real team" who "deserved it" to get in, it sealed the deal for me and I was pulling for the Seahawks all the way.

I was so f'ing happy when the Seahawks beat the Saints and shut everybody up, it changed the way I looked at the division. Of course I want the 49ers to win it every year, but if they don't, I am ok with another NFC West team being successful and I might even root for them if I like their style. I am pumped about the years of intense rivalry I see in the division's future right now, it is going to make for some real exciting football!

Edited by hardway

Years ago I would have said not in a million years. Now, except for the Eagles, I would pull for the NFC east team to win it. I was rooting for the Giants last year

Years ago I would have said not in a million years. Now, except for the Eagles, I would pull for the NFC east team to win it. I was rooting for the Giants last year

I used to feel that way as well (NFC > AFC)...now I generally root for whoever as 'less' Super Bowl wins than Dallas. This is going to be VERY TOUGH, though, if it comes down to SF vs NE. I really cannot root for NE under any circumstance.

Of all teams remaining, I'm rooting for ATL. Kaepernick looks like a monster, though, I don't see how ATL contains him after seeing what Wilson did to them in the second half on Sunday. Kaepernick is like Wilson v2.0.

I used to feel that way as well (NFC > AFC)...now I generally root for whoever as 'less' Super Bowl wins than Dallas. This is going to be VERY TOUGH, though, if it comes down to SF vs NE. I really cannot root for NE under any circumstance.

Of all teams remaining, I'm rooting for ATL. Kaepernick looks like a monster, though, I don't see how ATL contains him after seeing what Wilson did to them in the second half on Sunday. Kaepernick is like Wilson v2.0.

I would go for NE over SF . SF hatred is imbedded from the days of our fierce rivalries . S.F, Eagles, Steelers I could never pull for. Its odd because I like this SF team. Sick LBs , I like Frank Gore, I like the young qb and I like the SF fans on the boards.

Edited by whomper
  • Like 1

As time goes on the number of teams I actively root against shrinks. Currently it's down to the Jets and Steelers. The Colts, the Broncos, the Raiders, the Dolphins and the Cowboys are borderline, but I have simmered down a bit in their direction

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I would go for NE over SF . SF hatred is imbedded from the days of our fierce rivalries . S.F, Eagles, Steelers I could never pull for. Its odd because I like this SF team. Sick LBs , I like Frank Gore, I like the rookie qb and I like the SF fans on the boards.

Valid points. I do like Kaepernick, may keep him over Julio Jones next year. The Pats, though...UGH.

Truth be told, I bought a couple $50 squares from my neighbor for the SB, so whatever team looks like they will hit on one will be the one I'm going for!

Who I least want to see have success in the NFL:

1. Atlanta Falcons

2. Carolina Panthers

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

4. everyone else not wearing a Saints uniform

ETA, maybe Dallas is squeezed somewhere in there between 3 & 4. ;)

Edited by rajncajn

One cannot just turn off ill feelings towards a team in their division just because they are in the POs and not theirs.

Once my team is no longer in it then I will root for a team left in the mix....but really apathetic about the whole thing. That is unless the cowboys are in the mix....then I will wholeheartedly root for whomever they are playing. An intense dislike for the cowboys. No matter if my team makes it or not....it is a banner year when the cowboys do not.

I have loyalty to my team....not the division....or even the conference.

I can never route for a NY team. And I know they feel the same way about Boston. If the Pats do not win I would route for in order:

1. Atlanta - Matt Ryan BC alum from the last of there glory days (if you could call it that)

2. Baltimore - It would be nice to see Ray Lewis get a SB before he retires

3. San Fran - Don't like them, don't hate em.

Edited by Patriots

Pretty much like othres, never root for the teams in my division in the playoffs, quite the opposite I root against them. That year it was BAL-PIT in the AFC title game I was just hoping they beat the snot out of each other so neither has a chance at winning the SB.

This year going in DEN was my favorite, even though they killed the Browns 3 times in 4 years in AFC title games in the 80s. The Manning story, having some players on my fantasy keeper team, etc. Of the teams left now, whoever wins NFC has my backing, kind of like the 49ers, but would be ok with Falcons (just think they have more trouble winning if they get there).

Division loyalty, no way. Team loyalty, hate the others in the division.

This is similar to "you get beat in the playoffs, do you want that team to win it all or get beat by somebody else". I usually hope they get beat, I take no satisfaction in "we lost to the champs".

Kinda went over this in the "who are you rooting for..." thread, but I guess it depends on the team. I seriously doubt there'd ever be a situation where I was rooting for the Packers to win. Ever. Now, the Vikings? Lions? Meh. They've both sucked for so long, I kind of feel like rooting for them in certain situations is like patting a cute little kid on the head. With me now living in the Twin Cities, I had no problem "rooting" for the Vikes to take down the Packers (although I had no faith that they would). Had they won, I'd probably continue to "cheer" or "root" for them just to see the local folk in a chipper mood. Does it mean I'm a bandwagon fan or dissing my Bears? I certainly hope not.