[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manti Te'o's draft stock plummeting

tazinib1

Sorry for the quoting error....but that is pretty damning

Also, maybe this bodes well for notre dame next year. As outsiders the only things we know about a team are what the media gives us, of course they spin the truth however they want.

Teo was the "heart and soul" and the leader of the team, according to many, but his teammate basically just said they knew he was full of ish. So maybe they'll be even better next year! Haha

So she's REAL now?

Like I said...it's gonna get really good by this time tomorrow.

Depends on your definition of "good". If your idea of "good" is wallowing in someone else's misery, it's awesome. People in glass houses might not wanna heave too many halfbricks around though.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Depends on your definition of "good". If your idea of "good" is wallowing in someone else's misery, it's awesome. People in glass houses might not wanna heave too many halfbricks around though.

Just sayin'.

Who the hell said I was chivesing WALLOWING in anybody's misery??!!??

To make myself clear here...by saying "its gonna get good", I'm referring to the media. Like I said in a previous post, I hope somebody is with him right now cause this kind of thing could make somebody do something really stupid.

Edited by tazinib1

A side issue is how the national media was duped (didn't SI run a cover story on this joker for Christ sake?). The fact that no on in the media confirmed her existence with a phone call or background check just reflects poorly on today's half-assed journalism.

I couldn't agree more.

Not saying that he wasn't in on it, I honestly have no idea. But many of us here have had long online relationships with people we have never seen. Just sayin' :shrug:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

And this little thing per profootballtalk.com:

The biggest question remains the multiple accounts that Te’o and the fictitious girlfriend had met in person and spent time together. “They started out as just friends,” Brian Te’o, Manti’s father, told the South Bend Tribune in 2012. “Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

:huh:

Not to sound like a penn stater but maybe he really did build a relationship online w this person and is embarrassed about it. Lets be real, online dating still carries somewhat of a negative social stigma. In one interview he said something along the lines of "she is the most beautiful person I've ever met" and then goes on to say "not physically" and something about her as a person.

It's embarrassing for him since he's of such high profile, but there is a show on MTV or some other channel (fiancé watches it! I swear!!!) all about people faking personalities online, so he wouldn't be the first person....and once it got out about "her" he was too ashamed to come out with the real truth, making him a liar which we've all done in our pasts.

There was a story in a school paper that said he met her at a game and they touched hands and exchanged phone numbers. That article has since disappeared from the web...if I can find it I'll link to it.

But like I said...his story has holes...tons of them...

He said they talked for hours on the phone...if so easy to prove with phone records...if he was duped he should be able to present those records.

He said he sent roses to her funeral...if so there has to be a paper trail from the florist that delivered them...credit card info or delivery/name info...if he can present something for those flowers it will go a long way to proving he was duped...if he can't then well doesn't shine a very good light on him.

EDIT: it was in the South Bend Tribune but I found a copy of it that was run in another paper: LINK Read the very 2nd paragraph

Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te’o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes. They could have just as easily brushed past each other and into separate sunsets. Te’o had plenty to preoccupy himself that November weekend in Palo Alto, Calif., back in 2009.

Then check this out: http://goo.gl/OzqRU in an interview with ND athletics he says the last letter he got from her was on OCT 13th(she died in SEPTEMBER). So the timeline: She died in September. October she wrote him her final letter. November he gave this interview. It's not like he could have gotten games mixed up because ND only played Stanford once this year.

Edited by keggerz

There was a story in a school paper that said he met her at a game and they touched hands and exchanged phone numbers. That article has since disappeared from the web...if I can find it I'll link to it.

But like I said...his story has holes...tons of them...

He said they talked for hours on the phone...if so easy to prove with phone records...if he was duped he should be able to present those records.

He said he sent roses to her funeral...if so there has to be a paper trail from the florist that delivered them...credit card info or delivery/name info...if he can present something for those flowers it will go a long way to proving he was duped...if he can't then well doesn't shine a very good light on him.

I was moreso responding to this:

No way he wasn't in on it. To have a relationship for that long and never even SEE her....that just isn't right. He's a sick person to make up something like that. He got embarrassed in the title game and he's getting embarrassed now. Good riddance.

I just kinda thought it was ironic that he said that when I've "known" many of you for nearly 15 years, spoken to you on the phone, spoken about our personal lives, had dealings with you etc & have never seen you even once.

Like I said, I have no idea and frankly don't care to know. I came into thte thread to find out what all the fuss was about & felt like I was reading an article from the Enquirer. Then seeing some of the responses kinda turned my stomach to see how some folks are getting so into this story, like it's a juicy episode of their favorite soap opera.

It sounds to me like the guy may have some serious personal issues, regardless if he made it up or if he was duped. I would imagine that if he went into that much detail to make something up then he probably has some serious personal issue that he's trying to hide. Either way, I don't feel like it should be everyone's business to know. What sickens me even more is hearing that some of his teammates are already throwing him under the bus. Whatever happened to "hey, that's his business, I don't know anything about it."

Isn't he Morman? Maybe because they do not believe in pre-marital sex it was easier for him to have an online girl friend. She would not be pressurring him to have sex and he could just tell all the other ND tail that was chasing him around campus that he had a girl friend. But the story does have holes I guess such as them seeing each other in a bar. And how about the guy on the AZ cardinals that said he was friends with the girl. Messed up. I hope he falls to the Pats. lol

Not saying that he wasn't in on it, I honestly have no idea. But many of us here have had long online relationships with people we have never seen. Just sayin' :shrug:

Saying you're friends with someboy online that you have never met is different than a romantic relationship, at least to me. Especially in the age of internet fraud and deception, who believes everything they are told online and has a girlfriend they've only talked to online (and possibly on the phone). Then she is a serious car accident, later stricken with leikemia and dying. But he never goes to visit her? (O said he did but was lyng.)

Like somebody else said, he's either a fool or a liar.

Saying you're friends with someboy online that you have never met is different than a romantic relationship, at least to me. Especially in the age of internet fraud and deception, who believes everything they are told online and has a girlfriend they've only talked to online (and possibly on the phone). Then she is a serious car accident, later stricken with leikemia and dying. But he never goes to visit her? (O said he did but was lyng.)

Like somebody else said, he's either a fool or a liar.

Yes, I didn't really need you to tell me that there was a difference, but thanks anyway.

I have a friend who communicated with a girl online for over a year. This was back in early part of the millenium when online chat rooms were very popular. She had sent him pics, etc. He purchased a round trip airline ticket for her to come visit him. Then the week before she was to arrive, she revealed that she was not the girl in the pictures that she had sent him and she was considerably older...older than he was like by 20 years. I was like uhm...do you mean that you are a victim of even at that time was one of the most cliche stupid things to be a victim of on the Internet?

She ended up coming and he wouldn't let me meet her. They ended up not staying online friends after the visit.

It happens. People's common sense goes out the window cause they want to believe the online illusion.

I have a friend who communicated with a girl online for over a year. This was back in early part of the millenium when online chat rooms were very popular. She had sent him pics, etc. He purchased a round trip airline ticket for her to come visit him. Then the week before she was to arrive, she revealed that she was not the girl in the pictures that she had sent him and she was considerably older...older than he was like by 20 years. I was like uhm...do you mean that you are a victim of even at that time was one of the most cliche stupid things to be a victim of on the Internet?

She ended up coming and he wouldn't let me meet her. They ended up not staying online friends after the visit.

It happens. People's common sense goes out the window cause they want to believe the online illusion.

If that is the case then he should be able to provide phone records of the 8 hour calls and the receipt for the roses he sent to her funeral...still doesn't explain how he says he got a letter from her over a month after she died.

Perhaps I am badly jaded when it comes to sports and celebrity, but I am struck wondering if his pursuit of the Heisman was a factor in all this, something that the ND athletic department gladly fed into. This is way bigger than Joe Theisman changing how he pronounced his last name.