[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manti Te'o's draft stock plummeting

tazinib1

Per espn:

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

It's actually pretty sad for sport in general. So many athletes rack up negative publicity whether it be abusing women, dog fighting, whatever it may be. Many people, and its hard to blame them, view athletes as basically huge egomaniacal Dill Josh Gordon bags. I don't blame them.

Then you get the story of teo, a guy that seems like a true genuine role model, and an inspiration. Same with lance Armstrong....only for these stories to come out completely shattering these feel good stories. It's sad really

What if he's hiding something about his sexuality? I'm not sure why I think this is true, but we all know how it is for gay athletes to announce their true identity. Maybe Lennay, was actually Lenny?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

And this little thing per profootballtalk.com:

The biggest question remains the multiple accounts that Te’o and the fictitious girlfriend had met in person and spent time together. “They started out as just friends,” Brian Te’o, Manti’s father, told the South Bend Tribune in 2012. “Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

:huh:

Not to sound like a penn stater but maybe he really did build a relationship online w this person and is embarrassed about it. Lets be real, online dating still carries somewhat of a negative social stigma. In one interview he said something along the lines of "she is the most beautiful person I've ever met" and then goes on to say "not physically" and something about her as a person.

It's embarrassing for him since he's of such high profile, but there is a show on MTV or some other channel (fiancé watches it! I swear!!!) all about people faking personalities online, so he wouldn't be the first person....and once it got out about "her" he was too ashamed to come out with the real truth, making him a liar which we've all done in our pasts.