[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots. Still no Super Bowl wins since Spygate.

CaptainHook

Don't you mean, "Patriots. Stil no super bowl wins since they started to focus on offense and not defense"?

Funny you say that. I said the same thing last night. Really, they've turned themselves into the Colts. High powered offense with a record setting QB. Use gimmicky hurry-up plays. Underwhelming defense. Losses at home to lower seeds in the playoffs with the offense failing to score points. Kinda interesting. Edited by CaptainHook

I tip my hat to the Ravens. Flacco goes on the road and takes out Manning and Brady. The better team won last night. As a Patriots fan I am starting to question the Pats formula as well. Seems they really can't get over the hump. They looked lost last night in the second half. Baltimore Defense played really well. Should be a good superbowl. See everyone on the boards next year.

All I can say is thank God the Ravens won, because I can't stand either the Niners or the Patriots. Now at least I can watch the Super Bowl and actually have a team to cheer for, lol.

You poor soul. That said, spite seems like about the right reason to root for the Ravens.

Don't you mean, "Patriots. Stil no super bowl wins since they started to focus on offense and not defense"?

This.

This, this, this.

If the focus really is on winning and winning only, the offense should be happy to take a step back if that means the D could actually make stops and force punts. This D lived and died with the turnover, and when it's not there, they are pedestrian at best. Good Ds force teams to punt. Play great, sound D and turnovers will come. Hoping and praying for turnovers is not a formula for success.

The bright spot? I guess its the age of the D? They have a chance to get better. Chandler Jones, Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Dennard. All had good or surprising years. Wilfork is the only older player on D.

Need upgrades to the D-line and secondary. Resigning Talib is a must, imo. The Safeties were awful and I'd be happy to see them start fresh there.

Ugh, looking forward to next year after a good regular season. I'm used to this as a Red Sox fan for 20 years.

I also agree. I remember during the Niners run in the 80s. All anyone ever talked about (at least anyone outside of SF) was Montana and Rice and the great offense. But look at how many points the other team scored in those SBs. Never more than 21.

Basically, the years they had great Ds, they were lights out. In fact, I think one year 3 of the 4 All-Pros in the secondary were Niners. When the D was not up to snuff, they came back to the pack. Montana was good enough to make them a perennial lock for the play-offs, but they couldn't get over the top when the D wasn't as good.

Yeah, I believe when Tom Brady became officially "Elite" during regular season is when the Patriots stopped winning.

Year 2001 Superbowl: 2,843 Yds, 18TD, 12 INT, 86.5 RTG

Year 2003 Superbowl: 3,620 Yds, 23TD, 12 INT, 85.9 RTG

Year 2004 Superbowl: 3,692 Yds, 28TD, 14 INT, 92.6 RTG

Sure, those are good numbers but no where near the numbers he has put up in the regular season the recent years.

You could call them the New England Chargers. I see a lot of similarities between the Pats now and the Fouts led Bolts.

Mostly unstoppable offense that bogs down at some point in the playoffs and not enough D to rely on when this happens.

The earlier Pats teams that were "lauded" for scheming against any offense by the defensive genius know as Bell-I-Cheat are gone. I guess it is harder to stop a team if you don't know what they are doing before the snap, i.e. cheating.

This was a perfect example of "defense wins championships". Nowhere is it more apparent that solid defense is needed in pro football until you get into the playoffs.

Edited by McBoog

I don't know - there sure have been drafting a ton of defensive players, they just don't seem to work out so well.

For this game, the defense tanking when Talib got hurt was to be expected. The offense tanking is pretty hard to explain. Neither has much to do with Spygate one way or the other.

The consistently average/below average play of the the defense is, over the last many years, the reason they can't repeat. The below average play of the offense in this particular AFC championship game is the reason there's no Super Bowl Shot in 2013.

Brandon Spikes? Chandler Jones? Devin McCourty?

Spikes is a run stopper only in a pass happy league. he's a liability in coverage, to say the least. Jones flashed early, but got hurt and disappeared. McCourty is a one year wonder CB who ws so awful in coverage the moved him to S, and he's only average there.

part of the problem is youth. This D, with the players mentioned, plus Hightower, Dennard, Arrington, Mayo, etc are VERY young on D. BB does not trust youth on D, so he has been keeping the schemes vanilla and boring. He does not have enough vets on that side of the ball to run what he might want to run, and trust they will all be in the right spot.

Merriweather was let go because he free-lanced too much and was constantly out of position. Some of these guys could see the same fate. The ones that stick around may earn enough trust to move on to the rest of the defensive playbook. At that point the D may improve. But until BB knows the guys will be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there, things will look the same in NE.

just my :2cents:

• Like 1

Spikes is a run stopper only in a pass happy league. he's a liability in coverage, to say the least. Jones flashed early, but got hurt and disappeared. McCourty is a one year wonder CB who ws so awful in coverage the moved him to S, and he's only average there.

part of the problem is youth. This D, with the players mentioned, plus Hightower, Dennard, Arrington, Mayo, etc are VERY young on D. BB does not trust youth on D, so he has been keeping the schemes vanilla and boring. He does not have enough vets on that side of the ball to run what he might want to run, and trust they will all be in the right spot.

Merriweather was let go because he free-lanced too much and was constantly out of position. Some of these guys could see the same fate. The ones that stick around may earn enough trust to move on to the rest of the defensive playbook. At that point the D may improve. But until BB knows the guys will be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there, things will look the same in NE.

just my :2cents:

Fantastic response :tup:

The below average play of the offense in this particular AFC championship game is the reason there's no Super Bowl Shot in 2013.

OR... The above average play of the oppositions defense!?!? Why do homers almost always forget that there are TWO teams on the field? Besides Welker's drop, I thought for the most part the Ravens did a great job shutting the Pats down. And given the belief (on my part) the they were getting A LOT of home cookin', you have to give the Ravens credit.

That is why I made the Chargers comparison. I can't tell you how frustrated we Charger fans are as we have watched almost identical playoff collapses over the years. The Rams and their "Greatest Show on Turf" had a very solid defense. Something that the Pats (and my past Charger teams) clearly lack.

• Like 1

Funny, I just read this job posting on craigs list boston

Wanted immediately, professional camera man with some experience in covert operations to start immediately. Job includes full access to Gillette stadium and all other NFL team practice and training facilities. Extensive travel required. Please provide references upon application. Please use code word "gate security" on application form. Reply only by email. In subject of email please include "attn: B.B". Salary to be determined and is based on "overall success"

• Like 1

Wanted immediately, professional camera man with some experience in covert operations to start immediately. Job includes full access to Gillette stadium and all other NFL team practice and training facilities. Extensive travel required. Please provide references upon application. Please use code word "gate security" on application form. Reply only by email. In subject of email please include "attn: B.B". Salary to be determined and is based on "overall success"

That is hilarious. I'm gonna share this with my camera operator buddies.

for the record, its not real, I made it up and posted it as my face book status to irritate my pats fans buddies. Feel free to use it as you wish and fuel the fire LOL.. needless to say my buddies aren't very receptive and open to the humor...

for the record, its not real, I made it up and posted it as my face book status to irritate my pats fans buddies. Feel free to use it as you wish and fuel the fire LOL.. needless to say my buddies aren't very receptive and open to the humor...

I already posted on FB...You should post it on Craigslist just because.