[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony Gonzalez's stats

muck

Is Gonzo a first ballot HOFer?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gonzo a first ballot HOFer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Puddy

All of these include wide receivers:

2nd to only Jerry Rice in career receptions (1242)

7th in career receiving yardage (14,268)

6th in receiving touchdowns (103)

I'm keeping hope of the small chance he could actually be back, believe it or not. He left open a 5% chance and recently said that the 5% was for a scenario like this where they got that close.

So glad he got his playoff win, but I know he still wants a ring more than anyone else. We'll see if he's really ready to hang them up or not.

Yes no doubt, especially when you look at his numbers amongst all players (the stuff DOG posted for receiving stats incuding WR).

I too hope he comes back for another year, he is an awesome player and can probably still do it another 2-3 years. It was awesome watching him dunk over the crossbar after his TD, something I believe he stopped doing regularly as he aged. (Recall reading something where he was talking with one of the younger stud TEs[Graham maybe] about this.)

I agree - he deserves a ring as much as any player. I remember going to the CAL home games in the early 90's and telling my father-in-law how that Gonzalez guy was going to be special in the NFL because none of the TE's there did what he was doing in college. Didn't guess he would end up the greatest of all time. In my opinion, he's a first ballot inductee as a slam dunk.

Taken from this thread:

http://forums.thehud...25#entry3751992

See I just don't get this statement or even how a bunch of people can really feel this way. Tony G is the one who came out and "set the bar" in my opinion. I will never understand how he doesn't get talked about more for the great TE he is. HE is the best TE of this generation.

Here's Tony at #41 on the ALL TIME LIST:

http://www.pro-footb...riv/ratings.cgi

Gates comes in at 75.

Gonzalez - 1192 Rec 13,768 yds and 99 TD's. 12 Pro Bowls and 5 time 1st team all Pro.

Gates - 606 Rec 7926 yds and 72 TD's 8 Pro Bowls and 3 1st team all Pro.

It's just funny to me when I see how people talked about Sharpe during Tony's prime years and then towards the end of his career it was Gates. Lets face it, he's going to own nearly every record by a TE. Just go ahead and notch another Pro Bowl and 1st team all pro with the way he's playing this year.

Hey Tony, just keep breaking those records bud. It sure would be a treat to see you get a SB ring

Pretty easy to figure out where I stand on the subject! Derrick Thomas was my favorite player, but has been surpassed by Tony. Hard not to respect the guy immensely.

Since we're discussing the topic. Does anyone feel there is any chance he DOESN'T go in as a CHIEF?

Edited by Hat Trick

No doubt he would be a Chief. Wonder who would introduce him? He had 5 different coaches at KC from 1997 (Schottenheimer) through 2008. Vermiel was the longest with 5 years. He had a ton of different QBs with Trent Green the longest.

No doubt he would be a Chief. Wonder who would introduce him? He had 5 different coaches at KC from 1997 (Schottenheimer) through 2008. Vermiel was the longest with 5 years. He had a ton of different QBs with Trent Green the longest.

My guess is Carl Peterson would introduce him.

As a 49ers die hard, the only thing I didn't like about the NFC Championship game was the look of disappointment on Gonzo's face after the loss. I felt bad for him just for a second there, even in the midst of my victory euphoria. They guy is the best TE of all time, a true class act and he better be a lock for the HOF on his first chance or there is really something wrong with the voters.

If anybody in the NFL deserves a ring it's him, and if he comes back and ATL beats SF in the NFC Championship next year, I will be pulling for him to get his. This is the only scenario where I would be pulling for an ATL SB win though :)