[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints bringing back the Dome Patrol!

rajncajn

:lol: I wish...

They are moving back to a base 3-4 alignment though. Keg, wondering if you had any ideas about what coaches they may look at and who you think might be a good hire. many fans have been clamoring for Crennel, but I don't think Payton is looking for another retread like Spags and has already said that they are going to take their time deciding on who will be the right choice. A couple of interesting names that I saw thrown out were Tomsula from San Francisco and Butler from Pittsburgh, but Payton also said that they may look to the college ranks as well. Also wondering what opinions are about what the Saints personnel will look like. Akiem Hicks, Cam Jordan and Curtis Lofton are obviously meant to be the building blocks and I think that each of them will be able to thrive in their new roles. Looking at OLB, I think that Martez Wilson and Junior Gallette are actually better suited for the 3-4 alignment than they were as DEs. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Really? Not one response? This is a major change in IDP land. I know I am not supposed to post out of league forums but..... This is a major deal and someone from the staff should at least acknowledge that. Player value changes. Maybe it is just because we are Saints fans that we feel this is being ignored. God I hope so because rajn and I will then garner a hugh advantage.

Really? Not one response? This is a major change in IDP land. I know I am not supposed to post out of league forums but..... This is a major deal and someone from the staff should at least acknowledge that. Player value changes. Maybe it is just because we are Saints fans that we feel this is being ignored. God I hope so because rajn and I will then garner a hugh advantage.

Not ignoring just busy and haven't had a chance to reply.

Yes there are rumors of Crennel but he is also rumored to be a possibility in Philly too (but I think that is a longshot)...Mangini is also rumored to be in the running for the Saints...Outside of those two I haven't really seen much...I do think that the transition can happen. Cam Jordan can play DE and Hick should be able to play inside in the 3-4....Wilson and Galette will have to transition to OLB and I think they can do so...my issue is at LB...Lofton can play inside no doubt...but Vilma? we already went down this road with him so if they do indeed go to a 3-4 I think that Vilma is gone...I'd look for Lofton and Hawthorne to man the ILB spots...but as far as scheme goes I don't think the 4-3 was their issue...think they should focus on fixing the secondary...fantasy wise it is a hit for Jordan & Gallete...Lofton should be fine. If I hear anything I will be sure to update

Edit: Winston Moss, Ken Norton Jr. and Ed Donatell are said to be possible candidates too.EIDT

Edit2: I sent one of the above an email to see if they will confirm that they are either interested or interviewing. Longshot that they reply, especially if they are actually going to be a part of the interview process but I figured it was worth a shot.

Edited by keggerz

LOL

There isn't even a thread on the Eagles switching to a 3-4 or the Browns and Cowboys to a 4-3. Not sure what the issue is, why the chip or what sort of advantage you to will gain :shrug:

Back on topic...

Most Saints fans are thinking the Saints will lean towards a 1-gap scheme vs 2-gap because we currently don't have the D-line personnel to implement a 2-gap scheme. Another name that is being strongly talked about it Todd Grantham who is the D coordinator for UGA. He was a bit of a wash when he held that position for the Browns, but may be more of what Payton is looking for in his familiarity with the college-style pistol & option offenses as well as his expertise in the 1-gap scheme.

Crennel & Mangini still remain the popular favorites, but I haven't seen any info on whether they have actually been contacted by the Saints or not or would even be interested and only "league sources" have been quoted as saying that the Saints are actually interested, which means it's more than likely just pure speculation. I have serious doubts based on what Payton has said that either is in their plans.

Have they even hired anyone as DC? I know Payton mentioned 3-4 and getting more linebackers on the field but you kinda need a DC first before we start saying that schemes will be changed, don't you?

I guess you could wait for the hire, but Payton seemed pretty adamant that they were going in that direction. He said that was among the top reasons they let Spags go and even mentioned how he was enamored with Houston (assuming he meant the D). I don't think that he would go through all that trouble to end up hiring another 4-3 coach and sticking with that scheme. At any rate I just wanted to get some opinions from someone who is more familiar with scheme than I am and get some ideas about where our pieces might fit in.

I read somewhere (ESPN?) that the Chiefs are paying Crennel $3.5 MM to not coach. If he takes the Saints DC job, he's not getting anywhere near that money. It is quite possible that Crennel just takes the year off.

I read somewhere (ESPN?) that the Chiefs are paying Crennel $3.5 MM to not coach. If he takes the Saints DC job, he's not getting anywhere near that money. It is quite possible that Crennel just takes the year off.

That's part of it as well. Unless he just really wants to coach and money isn't an object, I just don't really see that happening.

I think that a big problem with either gap scheme is the lack of a true nose tackle. Hicks is the closest thing the Saints have.

Broderick Bunkley - 6'2" 306 lbs

Sedrick Ellis - 6'1" 307 lbs

Akiem Hicks - 6'5" 324 lbs

Tom Johnson - 6'3" 288 lbs

Cam Jordan - 6'4" 287 lbs

Tyrunn Walker - 6'3" 294 lbs

Will Smith - 6'3" 282 lbs

Both of the current starting Saints ends would be big 3-4 OLBs but not unheard of either (Mario Williams stood up at 292 lbs). That said, I liked Cam Jordan as a 3-4 DE coming out of Cal so he could be a good fit on the line.

The good news is that there are some monster NT types coming out in the draft. And if speculation that Grantham coming to the NFL is true, I would expect him to target some of these guys.

John Hankins (Ohio State) - 6'4" 325 lbs

Jesse Williams (Alabama) - 6'4" 320 lbs

TJ Barnes (GA Tech) - 6'7" 333 lbs

John Jenkins (Georgia) - 6'3" 351 lbs

Kwame Geathers (Georgia) - 6'6" 350 lbs

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Grantham lobby the Saints into drafting one of his big guys if he ends up in the Big Easy.

Edited by Tford

I think that a big problem with either gap scheme is the lack of a true nose tackle. Hicks is the closest thing the Saints have.

Broderick Bunkley - 6'2" 306 lbs

Sedrick Ellis - 6'1" 307 lbs

Akiem Hicks - 6'5" 324 lbs

Tom Johnson - 6'3" 288 lbs

Cam Jordan - 6'4" 287 lbs

Tyrunn Walker - 6'3" 294 lbs

Will Smith - 6'3" 282 lbs

Both of the current starting Saints ends would be big 3-4 OLBs but not unheard of either (Mario Williams stood up at 292 lbs). That said, I liked Cam Jordan as a 3-4 DE coming out of Cal so he could be a good fit on the line.

The good news is that there are some monster NT types coming out in the draft. And if speculation that Grantham coming to the NFL is true, I would expect him to target some of these guys.

John Hankins (Ohio State) - 6'4" 325 lbs

Jesse Williams (Alabama) - 6'4" 320 lbs

TJ Barnes (GA Tech) - 6'7" 333 lbs

John Jenkins (Georgia) - 6'3" 351 lbs

Kwame Geathers (Georgia) - 6'6" 350 lbs

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Grantham lobby the Saints into drafting one of his big guys if he ends up in the Big Easy.

There's a guy on Saintsreport that I'm getting the majority of my info from who, from what I can tell is pretty well versed in the schemes. He seems to think that Hicks will be the NT, but that the Saints need some depth there pretty badly. Ellis IMO is a bust, Bunkley is said to have some experience there, so he may be in rotation. Jordan is the obvious fit for DE and both Smith(if he stays) and Tom Johnson can man the other end. At LB, he's pegging Martez Wilson to play SILB, Lofton WILB, Junior Gallette LOLB and Ezekiel Anasah ROLB.

I see Hicks, Jordan, Tom Johnson as being locks on the line unless we do get Grantham and he brings in Jenkins (long shot IMO). Lofton will obviously take the WILB spot & Tez should be a good fit inside as well (can play either inside or out) Junior will also be a lock at one of the OLB spots, but I think opposite him will be a toss-up and could very well be a draft pick (Jarvis Jones being the #1 target).

ETA: The obvious name being left out is Vilma who most think will be gone.

Edited by rajncajn

I think there could be upwards of 7-9 rush OLBs will potential to be first rounders. Not all will be drafted as rush OLBs but I think most could play there.

Of the current rendition of my mock draft (which is dicey at best right now), 4 of them are gone when the Saints pick. I have Ansah, Montgomery, Jordan, Okafor and Murphy available. I also have Jenkins available.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think there could be upwards of 7-9 rush OLBs will potential to be first rounders. Not all will be drafted as rush OLBs but I think most could play there.

Of the current rendition of my mock draft (which is dicey at best right now), 4 of them are gone when the Saints pick. I have Ansah, Montgomery, Jordan, Okafor and Murphy available. I also have Jenkins available.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think much of what the Saints do in the offseason will have to do with if they are able to get the 2nd round pick back or not. DT being a much more difficult position to fill, I think that will be the choice in the 1st round regardless with the 2nd round pick being a rush OLB, provided one falls. If they don't get the 2nd back they may look to FA for some depth there. Another wrench in that thinking would be the possibility of Bushrod leaving and theoretically there could be some decent replacements for him available there.

• 2 weeks later...

Reports are that the Grantham interview went very well yesterday and that Crennel was contacted, but mainly to get insight on Grantham who was DC under Crennel. National media, after declaring that Rob Ryan was already a done deal, is now declaring this all a smoke screen in order to get Ryan to take less money. Ryan is supposed to be interviewed today as well as another "mystery candidate" whom the Saints were waiting for permission to interview. My guess is the other guy may be Ted Monachino from the Ravens.

I would say that right now my short list would be Ted Monachino, Kieth Butler, Romeo Crennel then Rob Ryan. This assuming that Tomsula is also off the table from the 49ers. Possible wild-card being Teryl Austin. I don't like Ryan, but I have to admit that I would trust him more than any of the other remaining guys, including Grantham.

Per Jay Glazer, Rob Ryan has been hired as the Saints new DC

Well, obviously not my first choice, but still not a bad coach. We'll see after this year if he can be good enough. I just hope the drama stays out of the media.