[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2013 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft (Commentary ONLY)...

irish

Welcome to all those who have offered up their time and effort to participate in this year's NFL Mock Draft, along with those wanting to follow along!! This should be a lot of fun watching fellow Huddlers play GM for their Homer teams. I also wanted to add that if any Huddler would still like to be a part and have their opinion/voice heard when their Homer teams' pick comes up, feel free to PM me or the Huddler listed with the specific team below. Please keep all commentary in this thread only, as the other thread is for just the selections.

Thanks. : )

Line of Thought......The Kansas City Chiefs main objective was to protect Smith's blind side with and excellent pass blocker and very good run blocker who can be expected to meet the requirements of being taken #1 overall and protecting Smith's blindside while providing and upgrade to the offensive line by allowing for Albert to be moved to RT. With Andy Reid at HC, the offensive line play must be improved in order for the West Coast Offense to work.

Sorry all, never expected an early start. Anyway:

1.02 - Regarding Lotulelei:

Have a heart! I think that situation will not prove an issue (knock on wood). People keep talking about their inability to get sacks, but seem to ignore how their run D was at least as bad, and in a 4-3, you need studs in the middle. Plus Lotulelei can bring pressure to bear on the QB as well. Also there will be more options later for pass rushers than there will for help in the middle. IMO this should be either him or Floyd.

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

Ideally we get a chance to trade down. There are many needs on this team, and getting an extra pick or two would be helpful. Would be looking for a trade like the Julio trade a couple of years ago, maybe grab a 2 and 4 to go down to around 20 or do multiple smaller moves - however we can get at least a couple of other picks. So much work still to do. If only we had followed my plan last year!

Regardless of scheme, OLB is a big need, and Jones is a big-time performer. The freaky athletes are getting better press (Dion Jordan, Mingo, even Ansah) but I'm going with the proven performance of Jones. This guy has been a terror on the field for the last two years, and we need that intensity and effort. Big-time pass rusher, and strong in pursuit in the running game.

Eagles

Sharrif Floyd DT Florida

Too bad this is so early, Free Agency hasn't even started but anyway. I think at the end of it all one of the OTs will be there at 4 and that will be the pick. Other option would be Dion Jordan or Milner. The CB is probably more of the need than the DE. Good thing is they can go about 4 different ways and none of them would be bad. Taking the NT too clog up the line is probably the best option in a deep defensive draft

I agree with you that one of the OTs will be there at #4...if not, the easy pick here, as noted above in your analysis, is Milliner. The rookie is blazing fast, and will shortly take the place of either the aging and overpaid Asomgua or DRC, freeing up cap space for a free agent signing to shore up the DL.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Well no big surprises as yet. I almost took Geno to see the reaction I'd get ;) Really you never know it could be a good move though IMO there's almost no way they do it. I will be surprised if they don't opt for one in the 2d or 3d at most.

The Bills have been purging the roster of WR's and GM Buddy Nix has stated a big, fast, playmaker at WR is a top priority. At the same time the resigned Tarvaris Jackson and may restructure Fitzpatrick. I believe they like 2 or 3 QB's equally and will likely attempt to draft one in round 2.

If they like Geno Smith, then they would have probably sprinted to select him in this draft. It was between Patterson and Smith so I picked the position where the roster numbers and free agent quality are low.

I agree with you that one of the OTs will be there at #4...if not, the easy pick here, as noted above in your analysis, is Milliner. The rookie is blazing fast, and will shortly take the place of either the aging and overpaid Asomgua or DRC, freeing up cap space for a free agent signing to shore up the DL.

With the Tackles gone it was between Floyd and Milliner. Thinking was even though DT is deep in this draft there is a drop-off. Also thinking CB may be address in FA which won't be possible with DT. Milliner seems to be an odd one to place too. Some of the draft guys are saying he'll go high but he may not be that good outside of the speed. And after 14 years of Andy's drafts we all know you can't teach fat

The Titans are in desperate need of an upgrade on the interior offensive line. Harris is a free agent (who wasn't that good to begin with) and is not expected back. Amano and Hutchinson are both coming off season-ending surgeries and have salaries in the $4-5 million range, raising speculation that one or both could be cut. Cooper will provide a boost of talent where it is sorely needed, hopefully paired with another mid-to-high level free agent.

The Chargers are in desperate need for OL. The fact they have not yet reached out to OG Louis Vasquez is concerning. He'll be a hot ticket in 3 days. The OL is the single most important position the Chargers need to address this season. Lane Johnson is building up steam very fast and he delivered big time during the combine. He's athletic and has fantastic measurables. He is a little raw at the position (QB/TE/DE before switching to OT), but he has the motor teams seek at OT. With only a tad over $8million under the cap as of today to spend during free agency, this is a HUGH draft need. I'd be stoked if they cashed in and landed a top notch OT/OG at 1.11.

Edited by tazinib1

Two guards in the top 10? Doubtful . . .

The Cardinals have needs everywhere. They need a QB most of all, but they're not gonna find what they need in Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. Kolb is servicable enough, hell Skelton would be a servicable QB if they had some sort of quality fat body in front of him keeping defenders away for more than a second..

Anyway, in the real draft I'd REALLY like to see Chance Warmack with the Cardinals pick. It would be the gift of the century if Fisher or Joeckel fell to #7, as a tackle is what they really need, but if you're going the best available route, I think Warmack is a steal at the #7 spot. Lane Johnson would be the logical pick, but I think Warmack is a much better player with a higher upside. Tennessee is also pretty desperate for a guard, so, like taz - I think it's highly possible.

The Chargers are in desperate need for OL. The fact they have not yet reached out to OG Louis Vasquez is concerning. He'll be a hot ticket in 3 days. The OL is the single most important position the Chargers need to address this season. Lane Johnson is building up steam very fast and he delivered big time during the combine. He's athletic and has fantastic measurables. He is a little raw at the position (QB/TE/DE before switching to OT), but he has the motor teams seek at OT. With only a tad over $8million under the cap as of today to spend during free agency, this is a HUGH draft need. I'd be stoked if they cashed in and landed a top notch OT/OG at 1.11.

I'd love it if they got Johnson. So would all my buddies. That, of course, means there is no way the Bolts pick him. Sigh.

• Like 1

All good picks so far IMO. Smith will be debated no matter where he goes. But Jets need hope at QB BADLY. Course they're morons, but maybe the new GM......

Re the OGs, normally that would be unlikely. But with this year being so weak at the top, anything is possible. I'd love it if Colts got one of the top 2 OGs with their pick but would be surprised if either is still there.

I think if the Buc's picked in the top 5 they would have grabbed one of the two DEs that they had available to them at this spot in the mock.

They need a pass rushing DE (among other things), and Ansah fits the bill in spades. He's a physical beast and ceiling wise is the best DE in the draft IMHO.

They'd be psyched if he fell to them here.

D