[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL 2013 FAs

BeeR

Brady Quinn and rich in the same sentence?

I bemoan how poorly sarcasm sometimes translates into text. :sad:

You better pray Wilson is healthy the whole year.

Oh believe me, daily offerings to the football gods have already begun. :scared:

Back up Amendola if/when he gets hurt, until he himself gets hurt.

No worries, that's about the time Aaron Hernandez returns from an early season injury! We got it covered!

Edited by Papajohn

So, offer to Sanders(who hasn't really impressed to date. Edelman resigned. Amendola signed.

What's the over/under on that trio combined matching Welker's production?

I don't think Pittsburgh is going to let Sanders walk. Whether or not the new pieces replicate Welker's numbers - I don't expect the Patriots to fall much from their overall offensive ranking.

Maybe they lean on their improving running game a bit more. Maybe Vereen gets more passes out of the backfield. In the past BB and Brady have been fine with a mix of WRs that didn't necessarily look great on paper.

Welker's a player that no team wants to lose - but I think the pats will be able to adjust. They still have a strong OL and strong running game -- the WRs will do better than people think because teams will have to respect the running game and Brady will still have time.

I'm not that worried about the offense, and I think retaining Talib will make the defense stronger (along with the other additions) -- but that's also hoping Denard doesn't get sentenced to some jail time during the season. If they also have Denard for the full season, I think the defense will definitely be a step up with him and a full-season of Talib.

So, it would be nice to have kept Welker. Who knows exactly how they replace his yardage. But at the end of the year I think they'll still have one of the top offenses in terms of numbers.

I know my assessment of the Patriots being able to roll-on without Welker probably comes across as too rosy of an outlook.

But in '08 when they lost Brady they still ended up as the 5th overall offense in total yardage. That was a situation that they didn't have an entire offseason to prepare for. Because they've done it in the past, I think the Pats will adapt to both injuries and losing players to other teams.

I think it was a very good post, don't backpeddle. Brady is still Brady and above all BB is still BB. He's a d-bag, but credit where due. Danny A going down would put a big pinch on, but even then I think they would be OK.

Edited by BeeR

It would make a lot of sense for them to rely more on their running game, even of all of their receivers/tight ends are healthy. It'll keep their defense off the field longer, which can only help. It will also make the passing game more effective by keeping opposing defenses honest.

Sirius is reporting that the Steelers did indeed match.

yep.

Steelers matched restricted free agent WR Emmanuel Sanders' one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet from the Patriots.

Sanders will stay in Pittsburgh on the same contract, though the Steelers may soon try to sign him to a long-term deal, lowering Sanders' cap number and keeping him beyond 2013. Sanders, 26, posted a 44/626/14.2/1 line as Pittsburgh's slot receiver last season and will replace Mike Wallace at X in Todd Haley's offense. Assuming the Steelers don't draft a big-time receiver, Sanders will offer sleeper appeal in 2013 fantasy football. The Pats will likely now attack receivers in the draft, potentially using two of their five picks at the position.

• 1 month later...