[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gabbert-sucks bandwagon - a bit hasty

BeeR

Seems everyone is on board with "Gabbert is a bust, he'll never amount to anything" bit - granted he still has tons of room for improvement and I haven't seen even half his games, so those who have can better say - but IMO a lot of people are being too hasty. He improved in almost every area last year despite no Drew to work with and basically having squat for offensive help, and for effing out loud, it was only his 2d year. A lot of QBs take a few years to hit their stride.

Or it could be that he just can't hack it at the pro level. I know. And if I'm JAX I likely make a move for a QB early. Just think it's too soon to give up and would kinda like to see them hand him the reins one more year to see......not like they're going anywhere anyway.

Out of curiosity, how many Jaguars games have you actually watched in the last two years?

As I said, less than half. You?

You got a more than decent running game and Robinson and Blackmon as your WR's. The guy came from a non-pro offense, has below average arm strength and has an unorthodox delivery. He's no Phiip Rivers or Drew Brees.

More than decent running game? lol - once more in English please. Drew even being out was their leading rusher with 400 freaking yds.

Robinson is a career #2 guy (tops) and Blackmon a rook.

Again I agree he hasn't exactly helped his cause much of the time but IMO giving up on him after such a short time is premature at best. QBs can often take time to develop. They can't all be Griffins or Lucks (and note how much support those guys had).

Edited by BeeR

One is less than half. So is two. Just wondering what the actual number is. Not highlights. How many complete Jaguars games have you watched in the last two seasons?

I noticed you aren't answering the question either.

I already made it clear I haven't seen a lot of him in action and agree he's been less than overwhelming so far. If you have seen a lot of their games and actually have something to contribute, that would be nice.

Chad Henne started just 7 games last year and threw for 2084 yards and 11 Tds, Gabbert started 9 and only had 1662 yards and 9 TDs. Gabbert has thrown for only 2 games with more than 220 yards in his 25 NFL games. Henne topped that mark five times in his seven starts.

Gabbert took the best WR coming out of the NCAA and gave him a total of 26-250-1 over the first nine games. Henne gave him 39-615-4 in just seven games.

Why they continue to give him a shot has to be because he cost so much as the #10 overall pick in 2011 but nothing in the first two seasons suggests he is capable of taking a step up. On an offense that already has every defense committed to stopping the run, Gabbert has only thrown 21 TDs against 17 interceptions. He has completed only 53% of his passes and averaged 155 pass yards per game.

The Jags threw well before him (Garrard 23 TDs in 2010) and threw well without him last year.

There just has not been even one game so far that really suggests that Gabbert is going to matter ever.

I'm just going off of what I've seen when the Jaguars played the Colts. It's the only time I've really seen him. I may have watched one other Jaguar game all year.

First game against the Colts he was dreadful. Then he pulled out a miracle with an 80 yard TD with less than 30 seconds to play. Take out that pass and he was 9-20 for 75 yards in the game. :weird:

In the rematch he threw one of the worst interceptions I've ever seen, that basically turned momentum and lost the Jags the game.

Needless to say, I have not been impressed.

people watch the Jags?

I will admit I've done this. I'm not proud but there it is.

Gabbert is bad - as in "how in hell did this guy get drafted in the 1st 4 rounds, let alone the 1st round" bad. I haven't seen really any evidence of improvement over 2 years and if a change of coaching is going to help, well....we'll see I guess.

I will say it's hard to call the Gabbert-sucks crew a bandwagon since really the entire city/state/country believes that. The bandwagon is probably the 5 dudes and a goat who think he may still have NFL potential...

Chad Henne started just 7 games last year and threw for 2084 yards and 11 Tds, Gabbert started 9 and only had 1662 yards and 9 TDs. Gabbert has thrown for only 2 games with more than 220 yards in his 25 NFL games. Henne topped that mark five times in his seven starts.

Gabbert took the best WR coming out of the NCAA and gave him a total of 26-250-1 over the first nine games. Henne gave him 39-615-4 in just seven games.

Why they continue to give him a shot has to be because he cost so much as the #10 overall pick in 2011 but nothing in the first two seasons suggests he is capable of taking a step up. On an offense that already has every defense committed to stopping the run, Gabbert has only thrown 21 TDs against 17 interceptions. He has completed only 53% of his passes and averaged 155 pass yards per game.

The Jags threw well before him (Garrard 23 TDs in 2010) and threw well without him last year.

There just has not been even one game so far that really suggests that Gabbert is going to matter ever.

Thx DMD. But none of those stats really prove anything IMO. Gabbert has less than 2 yrs under his belt - how many does Pennington have? Plus rookie WRs rarely do much so being "the best coming out" doesn't mean Gabbert suddenly had Andre Johnson at his disposal. And Pennington did better, but it's not like he lit up the night sky.

Again I haven't seen a lot of him either and maybe he's just not capable - but I think people are giving up on him too quickly and not taking these other things into account.

Thx DMD. But none of those stats really prove anything IMO. Gabbert has less than 2 yrs under his belt - how many does Pennington have? Plus rookie WRs rarely do much so being "the best coming out" doesn't mean Gabbert suddenly had Andre Johnson at his disposal. And Pennington did better, but it's not like he lit up the night sky.

Again I haven't seen a lot of him either and maybe he's just not capable - but I think people are giving up on him too quickly and not taking these other things into account.

Pennington? I suppose you meant Henne, seen one chad seen em all.

I think DMDs numbers do prove that a mediocre career backup with the same offense did a lot better.

I do agree that people give up on rookie QBs too early, here in Cleveland many want Weeden gone and somebody (anybody) to replace him. Of course they thought McCoy was the answer, and Quinn before him, and Frye/Anderson/Garcia and many others before that. But Gabbert has looked absolutely horrible in 2 seasons.

Not to derail or pull away from the original post, but I think the short leash on ALL Rookie QBs is much too short. Players like Cam, Luck, and Griffin have spoled everyone in the past two years. Sorry, but those guys are not the norm, we just got lucky two years in a row. Everyone wants to catch lightning in a bottle, but you can't keep starting over hoping to be that team.

Whatever happend to sitting a QB for their first year to learn? Reason we dont, b/c we all want instant gratification.

Except when he torched the Vikings last year. :bag:

Pennington? I suppose you meant Henne, seen one chad seen em all.

lol - yeah Henne, pardon

I think DMDs numbers do prove that a mediocre career backup with the same offense did a lot better.
Can't imagine why. His numbers aren't that much better generally - in fact, Gabbert had a better QB rating than Henne.

I don't think those numbers prove anything, except that neither really got the job done last year.

I do agree that people give up on rookie QBs too early, here in Cleveland many want Weeden gone and somebody (anybody) to replace him. Of course they thought McCoy was the answer, and Quinn before him, and Frye/Anderson/Garcia and many others before that. But Gabbert has looked absolutely horrible in 2 seasons.

Exactly.

It will be really interesting to see if they go after a QB in Round 2.

Edited by BeeR

Cmon now...he hasn't shown a glimpse of being a good QB.

He's terrible and Henne greatly outperformed him last year when given the reigns.

If Henne makes you look like poop...

You're probably poop.

• Like 1

Cmon now...he hasn't shown a glimpse of being a good QB.

He's terrible and Henne greatly outperformed him last year when given the reigns.

I could remind you that Gabbert had a higher QB rating, which would seem to disprove your statement to say the least, but I've never been a fan throwing out stats as "proof" as they don't tell you the whole story to put iit mildly - and again I'm not necessarily disagreeing - but I still think dismissing the guy given all the facts seems a little hasty.

I could remind you that Gabbert had a higher QB rating, which would seem to disprove your statement to say the least, but I've never been a fan throwing out stats as "proof" as they don't tell you the whole story to put iit mildly - and again I'm not necessarily disagreeing - but I still think dismissing the guy given all the facts seems a little hasty.

Check PFF on his rating..one of the lowest in the league

Edited by tazinib1