[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brian Urlacher officially is done in Chicago

Wolverines Fan

Per profootballtalk.com.

http://profootballta...ll-not-be-back/

Bears announce Brian Urlacher will not be back

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT

Brian Urlacher AP

The Brian Urlacher era is over in Chicago.

Urlacher, one of the best and most popular players the Bears have ever had, will not return to the team, it was announced on Wednesday.

“We were unable to reach an agreement with Brian and both sides have decided to move forward,” Bears General Manager Phil Emery said in a statement. “Brian has been an elite player in our league for over a decade. He showed great leadership and helped develop a winning culture over his time with the Bears. We appreciate all he has given our team, on and off the field. Brian will always be welcome as a member of the Bears.”

Although Urlacher was an unsigned free agent, the news comes as a surprise: As recently as this morning, Bears coach Marc Trestman was saying he thought there was a place for Urlacher on the team.

But things change quickly in the NFL, and Urlacher’s days with the Bears have come to an end.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

As much as I like him, not sure if I want him to sign here. He had a great career and even as a Vikings fan, he was fun to watch. Does he still have some left in the tank?

He would serve more as a locker room leadership role in a big way. Sure he still has some run stuffing gas in his tank. But his pass defense has severely declined over the last few years. I dunno...I still don't wanna see him don another uniform, be it the Vikings or Cowpokes.

I don't know about "disgusting" but I'd think he's worth somewhat more, even for a guy who is well past his prime. He kinda reminds me of Seau when he left SD. Worth a modest price, maybe for a LB-needy team who is a SB contender.

Urlacher called the take-it-or-leave-it offer from the Bears a slap in the face.

Here is the local coverage if anyone is interested:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-brian-urlacher-20130308,0,7297431.story

I don't know about "disgusting" but I'd think he's worth somewhat more, even for a guy who is well past his prime. He kinda reminds me of Seau when he left SD. Worth a modest price, maybe for a LB-needy team who is a SB contender.

Sorry but $2m for a HOF run defending thumper for 1 yr is disgusting. Look at what those other washed up LB's are getting.

• Like 1

The Bears are that hard against the cap I amnot sure they had much else they could offer him unfortunately they have holes everywhere and paying Urlacher around 5 mil a year was going to be suicide for them. I love Urlacher and would love to see him back next season and finish his career as a Bear but I had long ago resigned myself to the fact that it won't be the case

He cant play MLB in the Tampa 2 any more . .just doesnt have the speed to geet deep in the middle of the field anymore.

But as a MLB thumper on running downs and blitzes? Absolutely, I think he still has some value.

Pro football focus ranked him as head and shoulders the worst run defender we had last year. I'll be suprised if he gets picked up by anyone for 2M or more.

Well no chives. He was injured

He hurt his knee in Dec 11 and pretty much sucked all of 2012. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a serious shot at the HOF. But I'm not about to get sentimental for a player that had a general disinterest, and then what appeared to be a general disdain, for fans that adored him. Over his career he has been asked why he is luke warn

to the fans, and he has always responded that it was only a game and a business.

Now when the Bears are treating it like a business and walking away from an aging and under performing player, he's playing the "I love this city and want to retire a Bear card." I call BS.

He hurt his knee in Dec 11 and pretty much sucked all of 2012. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a serious shot at the HOF. But I'm not about to get sentimental for a player that had a general disinterest, and then what appeared to be a general disdain, for fans that adored him. Over his career he has been asked why he is luke warn

to the fans, and he has always responded that it was only a game and a business.

Now when the Bears are treating it like a business and walking away from an aging and under performing player, he's playing the "I love this city and want to retire a Bear card." I call BS.

:lol: Arent you a Bears fan? :lol:

He was injured and missed almost all of training camp, and never looked right this year. I cant wait to see who replaces him and how effective they will be. Nick Roach signed with the Raiders, so they have no one there right now. Interesting to see if they go LB first round.

Plus he was a very effective locker room leader for that defense. I really dont think that a 3 mill deal would have been too much to retain him (but they do have cap issues . . )

Sorry but $2m for a HOF run defending thumper for 1 yr is disgusting. Look at what those other washed up LB's are getting.

As already mentioned by someone who I suspect knows better than either of us, he is not even a "thumper" any more. Maybe more like Bambi. And you don't sign a guy based on what he's done in the past but what he can do for you now, keeping in mind your cap situation. An aging, dinged up, moderately effective LB (if that) does not likely merit much just to be a "leader." Edited by BeeR

As already mentioned by someone who I suspect knows better than either of us, he is not even a "thumper" any more. Maybe more like Bambi. And you don't sign a guy based on what he's done in the past but what he can do for you now, keeping in mind your cap situation. An aging, dinged up, moderately effective LB (if that) does not likely merit much just to be a "leader."

Right but players are expected to give teams a hometown discount...there are times when a player, imo, does deserve more than their worth based on what they have done for a franchise...while few and far between, this is one of those situations...oh and much more than anyone realizes guys are compensated for past production.

:lol: Arent you a Bears fan? :lol:

He was injured and missed almost all of training camp, and never looked right this year. I cant wait to see who replaces him and how effective they will be. Nick Roach signed with the Raiders, so they have no one there right now. Interesting to see if they go LB first round.

Plus he was a very effective locker room leader for that defense. I really dont think that a 3 mill deal would have been too much to retain him (but they do have cap issues . . )

HA! I sound like a playa hatin prick don't I? To keggerz point. I'm not very sympathetic to Urlacher's plight because he's recieved over 80M from the Bears, he recieved his "past performance reward" when that dumbass Angelo gave him a sweetheart exstension in 08, and if he did give us a hometown discount you'd think he'd take the 2M bc no ones offering more.

It's a shame, really but who signs him and at what price will be the actual denouement of his career.

The guy led the Bears in tackles last year until he was injured. He CAN play still. All other claims in this thread aside.

I think the bigger issue as a Bears fan is that here's no one besides Briggs at this point. If anything this ensures they're drafting LBs early and often.

FWIW:

Bears made a one-year, $2 million offer. Urlacher made a one-year, $3.5 million counteroffer

Urlacher, 34, said while $2 million is a lot of money, he didn't want to put his body through the rigors of another season for that amount.

So it's worth it for $3.5M, but not a mere $2M? cmon. He's got more money than God already and readily admits he didn't do well last year and is near the end of his career.

Somebody might sign him for the $3Mish he' s looking for, but if he really wanted to retire a Bear, he could've done so. But if he'd rather make an extra mil playing for someone else - and someone who may have much less of a shot at a SB - hey knock yourself out. Maybe he'll get lucky and Saints or some such will nab him.

Bears sign Urlacher's replacement in Broncos former linebacker DJ Williams.His base salary is $900,000, and none of his contract is guaranteed. He can earn a maximum of $1.75 million if he hits a workout bonus and a series of roster bonuses spread out over time. I love this low risk/high reward signing. In Emery we trust!