[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on EJ Manuel

peepinmofo

As a long time Bills fan, I was a bit disappointed in them taking Manuel where they did. I dont hate the player, but Im not a fan of where they took him. Watching several FSU games the last 2 years, he never really wowed me. Most people had them taking a QB, but no one had them taking Manuel in rd1. He looks like he could start this year if he beats out Kolb, and Im fine with that. However, they need to draft more around him (WR, OL, TE).

What do the other Bills fans think of the pick (or is it more like the other Bills fan :lol: )?

Well they needed a QB because I'll tell you a secret - Kevin Kolb sucks awful donkey testes.

So, with that as context I'll tell you what I like about Manuel, he's a leader. This is not a kid who's going to melt down, lose his confidence, or do stupid things to get himself in trouble. He's likely to come into that team and take charge right away, and that sort of leadership can't hurt the Bills.

I think the Bills and Manuel would be best served by having EJ watch Kolb suck for 3/4s of a season and then take over at the end of the year, give the team a few wins and some pop and head into the off season as the unquestioned starter.

I don't hate the pick but they could have certainly dropped a bit more and received a bit more value maybe they tried this option and couldn't get any takers to. The thing is these guys do so much scouting for these guys that if they truly fall in love with someone they don't want to take to many chances and miss the guy they want. I actually had Manuel as my top QB potential wise on the board I hope for Bills fans he atleast ends up being the top QB out of this draft and atleast a decent starter I do think he can be much better than that. The problem for fans is they see all these rankings on the internet by people who for the most part have seriously no more idea about the draft then any of us do yet because of this fans explode every time they think a player has been over drafted over the opinions of a lot of guys whose jobs any of us could do.

I don't hate the pick but they could have certainly dropped a bit more and received a bit more value maybe they tried this option and couldn't get any takers to. The thing is these guys do so much scouting for these guys that if they truly fall in love with someone they don't want to take to many chances and miss the guy they want. I actually had Manuel as my top QB potential wise on the board I hope for Bills fans he atleast ends up being the top QB out of this draft and atleast a decent starter I do think he can be much better than that. The problem for fans is they see all these rankings on the internet by people who for the most part have seriously no more idea about the draft then any of us do yet because of this fans explode every time they think a player has been over drafted over the opinions of a lot of guys whose jobs any of us could do.

You have to go all the way to Europe to find a reasonable American Football fan.

• Like 1

I actually thought it was a very bold move. They moved back and got a great pick and they drafted the QB that was number one on thier board. They probably see a skill set potential of a Newton or a Kaepernick.

Risking moving back again was simply too great. This draft is long on potential and short on studs. The rookie cap makes the risk much less and this team has been devoid of a QB for a long time.

Glad to see a coach that has the stones t get his guy. Obviously, he is well aware of Nassib and also knows he never lost to Smith. They see immense potential and superior athletics that they can develop into a game changer.

Thought is was gutsy which is something the Bills havent shown at this position in a long time.

Will it work? Time will tell but thier conviction was quite impressive.

You have to go all the way to Europe to find a reasonable American Football fan.

:nono:

I thought it was a pretty ridonculous move. They could have drafted Austin, then taken Manuel in the 2nd. As a Jets fan, I thank God for Buffalo.

. 1st round means he gets a 5 yr deal....2nd round is a 4 yr deal...that could have played a part in it

Thought is was gutsy which is something the Bills havent shown at this position in a long time.

?? They all but sold the farm for that POS Losman.

It was risky at best, but IMO more likely stupid and another example of why they will remain mired anywhere but at or near the top. Of anything. Except maybe draft picks. Manuel is not consistent, accurate, or heady enough IMO. Could have and should have waited till the 2d at least.

• Like 1

They did well to trade down with the Rams and Nix all but admitted they could have traded down once more but they didn't want to risk it. I'm glad they got Manuel, their undisputed number 1 QB. Nix has not missed on a QB for the Bills because they haven't taken one. They liked Wilson and waited...they liked Kaepernick and waited...they liked Ponder and waited...they liked Newton and he was taken.

Enough. No excuses. They believe he's a franchise QB and got him. In three years we won't have to hear "reports" about settling for Bray or Glennon after Manuel was grabbed. Like they settled for Losman after the other three went.

Given that no other QB's were taken and multiple teams passed Geno Smith twice I believe more teams had Manuel rated as a number two or one QB. There was a strong chance Chip Kelly liked EJ and would take him in the second or trade back into the first.

The Bills COULD NOT give up a 2014 1st to get back into the 1st in the mid 20's to take Manuel. Possibly a top 12 pick. So they took him and his upside is probably tremendous. Nobody here knows. I don't know. But the Bills brought in every QB in the top 15 for a visit or attended a private workout. They knew who they liked and if they grade him as a franchise QB take him at 8. Fortunately they moved down a bit and it worked.

The days of the "reach" died long ago in my opinion. An 8 minute clip on youtube doesn't make any of us scouts.

• Like 1

. 1st round means he gets a 5 yr deal....2nd round is a 4 yr deal...that could have played a part in it

Correct. A lot of casual fans don't realize the implications of the new CBA regarding pickes 1-10 as apposed to 11-32.

:nono:

Even better for the team. 1st round means a club-option for a 5th, but not mandatory.

Correct. A lot of casual fans don't realize the implications of the new CBA regarding pickes 1-10 as apposed to 11-32.

Not sure what top 10 has to do with it, aside from the fact that the money is so much less that there's less trepidation to move into the top 10?

nah it wasn't a correction, more like supplementing the info :D They still get their 5th year, but don't have to if it's not to their benefit. And yea Taz, it's much easier for a team to think about moving up earlier in the draft due to the money involved. Miami might have liked Jordan, but it's highly unlikely they would have moved up to #3 if they also had to give him around what would be around $40 million guaranteed in 2013 in addition to losing the draft pick.