[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Dynasty Drafts

Honestly, David, the rankings seem like they were done without any real experience being IN a dynasty league. As Muto and others have mentioned, the values are way out of whack from what you see in 90% of dynasty trades. And if that's the case, what's the point of doing the rankings at all?

ETA: I like your list of rookie RBs who didn't pan out. But if we did a list of "older, two-down RBs who average less than 4 YPC and whose team just drafted a rookie RB in the first two rounds" (BJGE), I bet there'd be even more disappointing names on it than your rookie list.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Well we will have official rankings done by the end of the month. The preliminary listing was just something to put out at first glance before there was adequate time to review and analyze the entire NFL which you have to do to know where to seed the rookies and their relative value. Perhaps we should just wait until the end of the month. In June, I welcome reviewing any and all of the many types of various rankings. I personally dislike having any rankings out until I feel adequate effort has been able to be given and that takes a lot of time.

For the record, the approach I take when I do them is to value all players as if I was drafting a new dynasty team from scratch. And again, I place more emphasis on the current year for the top players, an equal emphasis on the current year vs future for the deeper starters and then more emphasis on the future for players that are more likely depth players.

I see that the rankings are keeper/dynasty so perhaps there's reason to do separate ones. A keeper league (1 year keeper) and then a true dynasty. Those would be very different lists. The keeper would be very close to a re-draft ranking though I would suppose.

I respect that answer, David -- especially the last paragraph.

agree

and if you aren't playing to win either this year or next then when do you plan on winning? Things can change fast in the NFL. Ask the dynasty owner who had a core of Vick, Ryan Matthews, M. Turner, Larry Fitz and B. Lloyd a couple years ago

agree

and if you aren't playing to win either this year or next then when do you plan on winning? Things can change fast in the NFL. Ask the dynasty owner who had a core of Vick, Ryan Matthews, M. Turner, Larry Fitz and B. Lloyd a couple years ago

Not only that, but a full ranking like this really only applies to new dynasty drafts. Otherwise, you'd just use rookie rankings. Why bother referring to a comprehensive list and worry about where Manning is on the list when you can't draft him? You'll never have the choice between Manning and Luck, and if a trade is proposed then the league rules/structure and your particular roster/needs are going to have a far greater impact on the "should I" than a list of QB's from 1 - 32 will.

This is probably as good a time as any to say that I really despise rankings. Blasphemy, I know. But there is so much more to it than just taking players based off of where they are ranked on a list...crazy as this may sound, and I have said it before but chemistry matters in fantasy football. With that said, I get it. We just love lists. Doesn't matter if it's a fantasy ranking list, list of the best QBs, WRs, RBs, players overall, songs, albums, shows etc...for better or worse, we love lists.

This is probably as good a time as any to say that I really despise rankings. Blasphemy, I know. But there is so much more to it than just taking players based off of where they are ranked on a list...crazy as this may sound, and I have said it before but chemistry matters in fantasy football. With that said, I get it. We just love lists. Doesn't matter if it's a fantasy ranking list, list of the best QBs, WRs, RBs, players overall, songs, albums, shows etc...for better or worse, we love lists.

I used to despise rankings based on projections because I lose control of where players fall depending on the scoring system used. But I felt a little better about it when one of our surveys shows that almost no one takes rankings verbatim and that they will apply their own wisdom, what we actually say about a player, etc. in deciding who to take. As a draft unfolds, there are so many considerations and variables to every pick that not even I use my own rankings in perfect order. That's not to say we don't kill ourselves trying to assemble as good a comprehensive rankings that we can, but at some point people view rankings with their own set of prejudices and preferences anyway. I'd only worry about it if we never wrote anything about players and did nothing but make a list.

Dynasty rankings are so hard because how you want to build your team greatly impacts how you value players. Some want to win at all costs this year, some want to only take young studs so they have them for years and some want a balance between known value and potential value. It's a matter of personal preference.

When I played in dynasty leagues, I would rank players like it was a redraft league with an indication of their future potential value. You can't predict or control the feature, so don't try. Just be smart about it. Draft for this year but be aware of the potential holes in your roster for future years. In otherwords, don't let Tony Gonzalez be your only TE on your roster. But don't take Robert Woods over Larry Fitzgerald just because Woods is a rookie.

I see that the rankings are keeper/dynasty so perhaps there's reason to do separate ones. A keeper league (1 year keeper) and then a true dynasty. Those would be very different lists. The keeper would be very close to a re-draft ranking though I would suppose.

Also, some of us play in contract dynasty leagues, where you can't just keep players forever.

Really the reason I don't like "ture" dynasty (dibs, as I like to call it) is that it just overvalues youth way too much over proven vets. If you play in one of those leagues, then just adjust according to youth and future potential unless you're trying to win it all now, rather than expecting the Huddle to overvalue them over giving you their present value.

If you can see that Tony G and Manning aren't worth as much in your league, then you shouldn't need the Huddle to tell you that anymore than I can expect them to tell me what contract implications mean for value.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

look in the mirror

oh yeah that was me... lol... the draft is crazy this year and very hard to rank and separate into tiers IMO. I wasn't trying to come accross as cocky just giving some insight on why I would take a guy where i did. I obvioulsy thought I got good value based on my comments and I know others think i probably reached on several picks. Now i just hope i was at least half right on my rankings.
  • Like 1

oh yeah that was me... lol... the draft is crazy this year and very hard to rank and separate into tiers IMO. I wasn't trying to come accross as cocky just giving some insight on why I would take a guy where i did. I obvioulsy thought I got good value based on my comments and I know others think i probably reached on several picks. Now i just hope i was at least half right on my rankings.

You sniped me on the A.Brown pick, but believe it or not, and please hold the chuckles, I'm pretty good at finding LB's on the WW. Plus this team is probably the worst in FF history so taking a QB was not that bad of a decision.

Right but neither lasted more than one year.

Well Best got concussions he would have been a top 10 PPR RB for a while if not. It isn't like Mathews career is over I have seen many players have a bad season and he was injured a lot last year. You can't close the book on him yet only been 1 year since he had a very good season. Edited by Henry Muto