[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson penalized again for excessive celebration

Dcat

Just saw the video. He wasn't even clowning, he patted him quickly and whispered "good job". He didn't make a spectacle about it, and was a bit surprised when others laughed. Judge created an issue where none really existed. Terrible.

Crossing the border and court is where there's no room for anything but yes sir no sir.

I'm as button-down conservative as they come. But the punishment here doesn't fit the crime. A fine + apology for contempt? Sure. Overnight in the slammer on top? Ok I get it. A weekend? Wow, maybe, but that's harsh. 30 days is full-on abuse of power. It was a petulant, spiteful move by the judge.

Crossing the border and court is where there's no room for anything but yes sir no sir.

Agreed. I've been to court a FEW times in my life :PinocchioNose: and it's always been Yes Your Honor, No Your Honor, Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am and NOTHING...I repeat NOTHING else unless I am asked. He should have said nothing until he exited the court room. Nothing.

But yes, 30 days in jail for a football tap and "Good Job"????? Pretty abusive IMO.

Edited by tazinib1

I'm as button-down conservative as they come. But the punishment here doesn't fit the crime. A fine + apology for contempt? Sure. Overnight in the slammer on top? Ok I get it. A weekend? Wow, maybe, but that's harsh. 30 days is full-on abuse of power. It was a petulant, spiteful move by the judge.

You're right, cops, judges, TSA, border patrol are riddled with overbearing jerks. Soooooo...why give them anything?

I'm sure he'll sleep tight in the clink knowing she was spiteful.

The judge told a professional football player that he should give props to his attorney, and then got upset when the professional football player did that in the way that professional football players do that.

Kind of hard to see which side of the bench the biggest doofus was on here.

I just watched the video...if the judge was going to be pissed at anyone it should have been the people in attendance that laughed out loud.

Chad has done a lot of stupid and even disrespectful things, this was not one of them.

You're right, cops, judges, TSA, border patrol are riddled with overbearing jerks. Soooooo...why give them anything?

What are you even talking about? Give who what?

Way to mischaracterize my post. I am referring to one judge making one ruling. I made no generalizations, and no clue where you come up with police, TSA, etc.

I just listed some people we might meet, that if in the wrong mood on the wrong day, can make your life turn to crap real fast. Fair or not, doesn't really matter.

Why give them any reason to look at you queer. A female judge in a domestic battery case might just be touchy to fist bumps and high fives.

Chad is a goof that needs to turn off the goof switch in court.

He was dumb she was jerk. She wins.

• Like 1

Just saw the video. He wasn't even clowning, he patted him quickly and whispered "good job". He didn't make a spectacle about it, and was a bit surprised when others laughed. Judge created an issue where none really existed. Terrible.

Yes, he was and yes he did. By the simple fact that he willfully did something SO unneccessary in a place most people know to be on their absolute best behavior.

On the field, slapping somebody on the ass is fine. In court (because you're in trouble), slapping somebody on the ass is not fine. Just a complete boneheaded thing to do and the judge obviously felt like teaching him a lesson.

This

Agreed. I've been to court a FEW times in my life :PinocchioNose: and it's always been Yes Your Honor, No Your Honor, Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am and NOTHING...I repeat NOTHING else unless I am asked. He should have said nothing until he exited the court room. Nothing.

But yes, 30 days in jail for a football tap and "Good Job"????? Pretty abusive IMO.

And this

Exactly

I just listed some people we might meet, that if in the wrong mood on the wrong day, can make your life turn to crap real fast. Fair or not, doesn't really matter.

Why give them any reason to look at you queer. A female judge in a domestic battery case might just be touchy to fist bumps and high fives.

Chad is a goof that needs to turn off the goof switch in court.

He was dumb she was jerk. She wins.

My feelings exactly

First of all, this was a hilarious post title. :clap:

Second, this wasn't a punishment for what he did in court that day. It was the sudden removal of leniency and a return to what his punishment already should have been.

He was in court because he violated THAT JUDGE's probation sentence. She gave him probation last time, with the minor requirements of occasionally meeting with his probation officer. My understanding is that he didn't meet the terms of that probation, so he was BACK in that same judge's courtroom. Somehow, despite already offending that judge's orders, his lawyer had negotiated a plea bargain to keep Chad out of jail...again.

The judge was probably already reluctant to let him go on probation AGAIN (with no jail time), and it seemed to me like she was just looking for a simple, sincere "yes, your honor" acknowledgment that she was being way more lenient than she had to be, thanks to his lawyer's work.

Chad had an opportunity to say "yes, your honor," and go home. Instead, he did what NOBODY I know would do in a courtroom in front of a judge -- ESPECIALLY not under those circumstances -- and gave a "good game" ass-pat to his attorney.

I may be in the minority here, but if I were the judge, I would have done the same thing. The fact that he was still jovial enough to do that means that he didn't understand the gravity of how close he was to going to jail the previous time. Well, there's one way to fix that mentality.

• Like 4

Second, this wasn't a punishment for what he did in court that day. It was the sudden removal of leniency and a return to what his punishment already should have been.

He was in court because he violated THAT JUDGE's probation sentence. She gave him probation last time, with the minor requirements of occasionally meeting with his probation officer. My understanding is that he didn't meet the terms of that probation, so he was BACK in that same judge's courtroom. Somehow, despite already offending that judge's orders, his lawyer had negotiated a plea bargain to keep Chad out of jail...again.

The judge was probably already reluctant to let him go on probation AGAIN (with no jail time), and it seemed to me like she was just looking for a simple, sincere "yes, your honor" acknowledgment that she was being way more lenient than she had to be, thanks to his lawyer's work.

Chad had an opportunity to say "yes, your honor," and go home. Instead, he did what NOBODY I know would do in a courtroom in front of a judge -- ESPECIALLY not under those circumstances -- and gave a "good game" ass-pat to his attorney.

I may be in the minority here, but if I were the judge, I would have done the same thing. The fact that he was still jovial enough to do that means that he didn't understand the gravity of how close he was to going to jail the previous time. Well, there's one way to fix that mentality.

While it's my opinion that a vast majority of judges are power-hungry turdballs, I will side with Swiss here.... on all accounts (thread title is solid lol)

Edited by darin3

Exactly. Finally, someone who doesn't let a stupid, worthless circus clown POS get off scot free. Actually, if anything, I'm PO'd at this judge for going lenient on him in the first place.

But of course there will always be truckloads of "being a pro ball player means never having to say you're sorry" morons out there who will wail about the injustice of it all. sniffle

Thank you!

He didn't get 30 days for slapping his attorney's butt. He got 30 days in jail for tuning up his wife at the time, and then managed probation on that sentence, which he failed to comply with, and was now in court for violated the probabtion he was given for beating a woman. The court bent over backwards to keep him out of jail and only extended the probabtion 3 months, and that is when the butt slapping incident occurred. The judge had finally had enough.

I wonder if it had been the sister of one of the CJ sympathizers that Chad did his beat down on, then got off with only probation - which he then violated - and as a result was only going to get 3 more months probation, that they would feel the same way.

As I was reading the details again (after he was released), he failed to report to his probation officer for 3 months. Then was about to be let off again with no jail time. Judge had enough of his childish antics. We'll see if he acts any different next time he is in court, or can avoid trouble with the law altogether.

But read the comments on most of these stories and mostly you see "judge is an idiot" kind of posts. Because evidently many in the public think its ok for people to act like this.

PS Welcome back BB.

It's not ok to hit women (or anyone else, for that matter). It's not ok to violate probation and be a knucklehead in general. But I just think that his response in court needs to be viewed from the perspective of a professional athlete--which, good or bad, is what he is.

I doubt that he was trying to make a scene or show up the judge or make light of his situation or anything like that. Players do what their coaches tell them to do. They are accustomed to expressing appreciation for a teammate by slapping them on the butt. The judge told him to express appreciation to his lawyer for what his lawyer had done for him. He did what she told him to do, in the way that he was accustomed.

Perspective.

Edited by Axe Elf