[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson penalized again for excessive celebration

Dcat

The judge told him to express appreciation to his lawyer for what his lawyer had done for him. He did what she told him to do, in the way that he was accustomed.

Where did you get that information? I wasn't in the courtroom, but I doubt "the judge told him to express appreciation to his lawyer." My understanding is that she simply asked him whether he was happy with the job his lawyer had done. Again, I'm sure she wanted some acknowledgment from him that he realized he was lucky, and a "yes, your honor" would have been easy.

It's not ok to hit women (or anyone else, for that matter). It's not ok to violate probation and be a knucklehead in general. But I just think that his response in court needs to be viewed from the perspective of a professional athlete--which, good or bad, is what he is.

I doubt that he was trying to make a scene or show up the judge or make light of his situation or anything like that. Players do what their coaches tell them to do. They are accustomed to expressing appreciation for a teammate by slapping them on the butt. The judge told him to express appreciation to his lawyer for what his lawyer had done for him. He did what she told him to do, in the way that he was accustomed.

Perspective.

You've had some solid posts/threads in here lately so I'll go easy on you.

No.

Where did you get that information? I wasn't in the courtroom, but I doubt "the judge told him to express appreciation to his lawyer."

From the original article:

"'You better thank your lawyer. He did a great job for you,' Broward Circuit Court Judge Kathleen McHugh told Johnson after accepting the agreement.

Johnson responded by slapping attorney Adam Swickle on the butt. Which prompted the judge to call the whole thing off."

Someone out there agrees with me... From today's Footballguys Daily Email:

"Judge McHugh should watch football sometime. Patting a teammate, or coach, on the butt is just what football players do."

I've seen a lot of people that agree with you. They look only at the action by Johnson and the response by the judge, and refuse to consider all the other mitigating factors. On that face of it, it absolutely looks like an overreach by the judge - no question. But when the entire scope of the issue is put forth, the punishment appears pretty lenient, even with a 30 day jail sentence (which has since been truncated to 7 days and then release). A guy with the power and athletic ability of a NFL cailber football player beat his wife, got probation for it and then ignored the terms of the probation, went back into court and only got a bit more probation, and then pulled his little boneheaded lack of judgment. Put all that together - all facets of the issue right from the onset, and I don't see how anyone thinks that 7 days in jail is not just (and again, I think one could make a reasonable argument that with only 7 days served that Johnson still has gotten off with only very light punishment).

I've seen a lot of people that agree with you. They look only at the action by Johnson and the response by the judge, and refuse to consider all the other mitigating factors. On that face of it, it absolutely looks like an overreach by the judge - no question. But when the entire scope of the issue is put forth, the punishment appears pretty lenient, even with a 30 day jail sentence (which has since been truncated to 7 days and then release). A guy with the power and athletic ability of a NFL cailber football player beat his wife, got probation for it and then ignored the terms of the probation, went back into court and only got a bit more probation, and then pulled his little boneheaded lack of judgment. Put all that together - all facets of the issue right from the onset, and I don't see how anyone thinks that 7 days in jail is not just (and again, I think one could make a reasonable argument that with only 7 days served that Johnson still has gotten off with only very light punishment).

Exactly, there is no lack of people agreeing with you, that doesn't make them any more right. I did hear in a report that the judge told him "you should thank your attorney", if you were court and were told that what would you do? Say you're accustomed to high-fiving people as thanks or celebration of a good thing, would you do that?

Like somebody said, a simple "Yes mam" or nodding would be the PROPER response.

I agree with you too, for the most part. He probly deserves more than a month in jail for all the inconsiderate, selfish, and in this case, violent things he has done in his life. But if the legal system was all prepared to let him off with a plea agreement and the only thing that put him in jail was following the judge's suggestion to give props to his attorney, then that's a little silly. The punishment should be for the crimes--and for those it would be richly deserved--but not for doing what the judge asked him to do in the idiom of a professional athlete.

Apparently the judge realized this too if she let him out after a week.

That's cool, Baby Jane, but Chad Johnson himself agrees with me. He said himself it was a mistake and it gave him a much-needed opportunity to reevaluate how he approaches life. That's what the judge recognized and decided.

Perfect. So both the judge and Chad Johnson recognized that they made mistakes. And all is right with the world.