[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First draft of the year

Papajohn

This is a league I joined last year as a substitute very close to last year's draft. The banter and trash talk was pretty good (although at times too much) so I returned even though I still don't really know anybody in the league. 8 out of 10 returned and most of them now each other very well and play against each other in multiple leagues.

We are a mixed bunch of owners, some very knowledgeable, some completely green and the rest in between.

It is a 10 man PPR league that starts 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE so every team is stacked. Last year we drafted early as well, and probably unlike most I actually enjoy participating in at least one league with an early draft. It makes preseason more exciting and at times even gutwrenching.

It is a two player keeper league and since I completely sucked last year I got the first pick overall and only kept McCoy since the rest of my team was absolutely garbage at the end of the season:

My team:

1.01 CJ Spiller (the former owner was stacked at RB and had to let him go. He won it all last year)

2.10 LeSean McCoy (Keeper) (Nobody had a second round pick)

3.01 Matt Forte (didn't plan on going RB/RB/RB but nobody else wanted him with their first round pick)

4.10 Victor Cruz

5.01 Rob Gronkowski (I think people more or less forgot about him. There was a lot of whining in the chat)

6.10 Mike Wallace

7.01 Matt Ryan (with the players left at RB/WR/TE I went with, hopefully, a stud QB)

8.10 Cecil Shorts

9.01 Steve Johnson

10.10 Mike Williams (had Mike Williams in a few leagues last year and I was very happy to grab him here)

11.01 Shane Vereen

12.10 Michael Bush (a misclick but not a big deal)

13.01 Mikel Leshoure

14.10 Darrius Heyward-Bey

15.01 Golden Tate (not that you really need a deep sleeper in a 10 man league, but I happen to like Golden Tate).

Not really an exciting draft or anything like that, but besides Baby Jane's mock draft analysis, not much else is going on here.

Ouch!

Matt Ryan should be serviceable at QB--as long as he doesn't get hurt, since you have no backup. After that, it gets a little stinky.

That is one large steaming pile of RBs for a 10 team league--you'll be lucky if any one of them stands among the top 10 at the end of the year--although at least you stand a better chance of that happening in a PPR league than a standard league. You backed them up with a considerably steaming pile of WRs as well--although Cecil Shorts and Mike Williams give you a chance of not completely sucking at the position. Gronk will be ok for the half season he plays, but who will you start the other 6-8 games? I don't see any backup TE insurance.

On the bright side, you have plenty of candidates to release for a K and a D!

Ouch!

Matt Ryan should be serviceable at QB--as long as he doesn't get hurt, since you have no backup. After that, it gets a little stinky.

That is one large steaming pile of RBs for a 10 team league--you'll be lucky if any one of them stands among the top 10 at the end of the year--although at least you stand a better chance of that happening in a PPR league than a standard league. You backed them up with a considerably steaming pile of WRs as well--although Cecil Shorts and Mike Williams give you a chance of not completely sucking at the position. Gronk will be ok for the half season he plays, but who will you start the other 6-8 games? I don't see any backup TE insurance.

On the bright side, you have plenty of candidates to release for a K and a D!

You don't need a backup QB in a 10 team league. There are plenty on the WW.

For backup TE I agree with you. Every time I was about to grab another TE the rush started a few picks before. Still it is a 10 man league and there are still serviceable TEs on the waiver.

For the RBs: Did you read it was a two player keeper league? I know you like Steven Jackson a lot but I would not prefer him to either Forte or Spiller PPR or not.

My first inclination was to agree with Baby Jane here as I wasn't really bowled over by your team, especially in a 10-team league. However, after looking at things more closely and considering that this is a PPR league, it's not as bad as I first thought.

-You have a Top 5 QB in Ryan, sure no backup but they'll be plenty on the WW.

-You have 3 Top 10 RBs in Spiller, Forte and McCoy

-At WR, I'm not as thrilled, as you do not have a Top 10 player at this position and this is your weakest area, IMO, however, fielding a mix and match lineup with Cruz (closest to Top 10), Wallace, Shorts, Johnson, Williams and DHB could work out. Plus you could always trade one of those WRs and one of the Top10 RBs you have for a better WR.

You have one of the best TEs in the game, maybe the best, but you'll need to have backup options with Gronk possibly missing time early and then possibly breaking his forearm yet again later on.

Good Luck.

I like the RBs. Your pick in the 14th round will be a top 20 WR by the end of the season. Steve Johnson screwed me last year; otherwise I think I like your team. Unfortunately for you, that probably is an indicator of a 5-8 fantasy season.