[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Apple Don't Fall Far From The Tree

Footballjoe

NFL legend Lawrence Taylor and son, Lawrence Taylor Jr., at the linebacker's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1999. (Associated Press)

Lawrence Taylor's son arrested on felony sex charges

FOX SPORTS CAROLINAS STAFF |

Published: Monday, July 08, 2013, 2:10pm

spacer.gif

797401.jpg

Lawrence Taylor, Jr. mugshotThe son of NFL legend Lawrence Taylor was arrested Sunday morning on felony charges of statutory rape, aggravated child molestation and sodomy. The charges stem from an accusation that Lawrence Taylor Jr., 31, forcibly performed oral sex on an underage girl.

According to the Cobb County Sheriff's Office, Taylor Jr. was booked at 5:26 a.m. Sunday after being arrested in Powder Springs, a metro Atlanta suburb, and remains in custody without bail.

Though the incident with the girl, who was described as under 18 years old, occurred at Taylor Jr.'s house Saturday afternoon, he was arrested at a different Powder Springs address.

His accuser reportedly told him "no" several times.

A second girl also came forward and told police she had had sex with Taylor Jr. multiple times — "five to six times" — in February 2012, according to court papers obtained by the New York Daily News. According to that report, the second girl was described as being under 16 years old, which led to the statutory rape charges.

If convicted, the charges carry the weight of either 10-20 years in prison (statutory rape) or 25 years to life (aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation), according to Georgia state law.

This is not the first run-in with the law for the Taylor family.

Taylor, who enjoyed a Hall of Fame career as a linebacker at both the collegiate and professional levels, faced similar charges in 2010 after an incident with an underage prostitute. After originally facing statutory rape charges, he plead guilty to charges of sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute and is now a registered sex offender.

''I feel for what she has gone through,'' Lawrence Taylor later told the AP about the encounter, adding he wished that he had known what was going on with her. ''At the time, I wasn't a bad person, and if I had known what was going on, I would have helped her. I hope the best for her.''

Taylor remains on probation for the case.