[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting tools you bring to the table

Joessfl

The two redraft leagues I am in that are drafted manually (not using a draft site)...I usually bring:

1. A ranking for each position (1 sheet of paper)
  2. A detail list of each listing From the huddle giving the pluses and minuses and last 3-5 years of productivity and paragraph (used only in later rounds looking for those gems in the rough) - This has been replaced by a Laptop with a MS-word document.
  3. A draft grid to keep track of all teams for each round. On the same sheet is a grid of positions so I know what team has drafted each position (so I can quickly see how many QBs are off the board for instance)

I find this is the most I can keep organized. I really dont reference anything during the draft that is NFL related. One year I tried to keep it all on a laptop but it doesnt work as well as paper.

Do you do more or less than this?

I thought about inviting Baby Jane to my local this year.

Do you bring other tools as well?

Some guys in my league only bring a magazine and I know that they are not the type to watch college and NFL enough to fill the gaps the magazine cant provide.

In addition since i am thinking of joining one, are Auction leagues a different set of materials?

Do you bring other tools as well?

Some guys in my league only bring a magazine and I know that they are not the type to watch college and NFL enough to fill the gaps the magazine cant provide.

In addition since i am thinking of joining one, are Auction leagues a different set of materials?

For me, I usually bring ts' spreadsheet and that's about it. At this point I've followed it enough to know who I want and where. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've seen guys win our local with a FF magazine they bought on the way, and guys win with laptops and spreadsheets.

As far as an auction is concerned, you just assign values to how much you want to spend on each position group going into the draft and adjust accordingly. It's a good way to keep you on track for how much you are spending. So for example:

QB: 20%

RB: 30%

WR: 30%

TE: 10%

K: 5%

D: 5%

(not saying these are appropriate amounts. each group will depend on scoring system, starter requirements, etc.)

Like I've said a hundred times: fantasy football is 91% luck and 9% luck.

I bring my custom huddle cheat sheet, the cheat sheet from the host site, the blurb descriptions for the late rounds, and the draft grid. The cheat sheet from the host site really helps me anticipate what my opponents might do.

I love guys that sit there in the later rounds and then their time to pick and start asking "Is Adrian Peterson" available. "Is Rodgers still there" "Dwayne Bowe?" What the hell, start crossing out names in your magazine or bring some pre-printed sheet with names and mark that up. Daaaaayum boy, get some clue.

I don't have any particular needs at a live draft. But I refuse to draft in a room if there are any Keebler cookies. I hate those Keebler cookies! I had the worst draft experience once while snacking on some Keebler cookies. Man, they look like one thing on the box but then you open them up and they are something completely different! Keebler cookies are the worst kind of cookies on the market. I will never ever draft with Keebler cookies in the room again!

• Like 1

I don't have any particular needs at a live draft. But I refuse to draft in a room if there are any Keebler cookies. I hate those Keebler cookies! I had the worst draft experience once while snacking on some Keebler cookies. Man, they look like one thing on the box but then you open them up and they are something completely different! Keebler cookies are the worst kind of cookies on the market. I will never ever draft with Keebler cookies in the room again!

Boy oh boy what did the cookie ever do to you? Lol My personal favorite has to be Famous Amos.

Auction leagues are a whole lot easier to run online. Otherwise you need some kind of a spreadsheet--computer or manual with a calculator--to keep track of everyone's budget and expenditures.

No you don't, you just post a draft board in front of the room with every owner listed in a column with a slot for every roster spot, and then write each selection in as it happens noting how much spent & how much remaining. We've done it that way for years at both of my main local auctions.

I have a custom made spreadsheet that's all in one page:

a draft board that color codes the fields based on position

a player listing with a few ranking columns to track different things - ADP, my personal ranking, mocks, Huddle rankings, etc

a matrix tracking round-by-round position count, per-owner position count, and running total position count.

• Like 1

I do a custom spreadsheet that is color coded. A chart of my opponents draft from the prior year. This gives me an idea of potential next pick. This is just my second year so we will see how it goes. I will draft RB, RB, WR, RB WR, WR, RB QB with my first 8 picks unless a higher value drops to me which may change everything. But I have done around 100 mock drafts and the end result often come out very good with that formula. I have drafted in 2 of my leagues so far this year and really like my teams.

I have ended up with strong RB team, the WR are deep enough to find very good value, Stafford or Luck as my QB and Olsen is usually available very late I also Like Cook as a back up TE

• Like 1

I do a custom spreadsheet that is color coded. A chart of my opponents draft from the prior year. This gives me an idea of potential next pick. This is just my second year so we will see how it goes. I will draft RB, RB, WR, RB WR, WR, RB QB with my first 8 picks unless a higher value drops to me which may change everything. But I have done around 100 mock drafts and the end result often come out very good with that formula. I have drafted in 2 of my leagues so far this year and really like my teams.

I have ended up with strong RB team, the WR are deep enough to find very good value, Stafford or Luck as my QB and Olsen is usually available very late I also Like Cook as a back up TE

Good info. I will find last years draft to research some tendencies. ITs the same Rat pack each year, so this will be helpful.

Good info. I will find last years draft to research some tendencies. ITs the same Rat pack each year, so this will be helpful.

I'm sure you do this already, but tracking the draft itself and watching the rosters of everyone around you can really help when you are trying to decide between 2 guys. A lot of good value will drop back to you if you know the guys picking around you are going after different positions.

I'm sure you do this already, but tracking the draft itself and watching the rosters of everyone around you can really help when you are trying to decide between 2 guys. A lot of good value will drop back to you if you know the guys picking around you are going after different positions.

True i do that during the draft itself. I thought he meant prior to the draft, looking for tendencies in prior drafts (for example me, MikeHunt, and Holdin McGroin havent selected QBs yet. But I know they tends to stack up on WRs and RBS, so I calculate the risk of letting a QB pass a bit becuase they wont pick one up either.

I try to keep it very simple to avoid confusion. I do have the laptop open with ts's spreadsheet and my own master spreadsheet - but those are only for references if need be. I print out two things:

1. The Huddle cheatsheet. I modify this slightly to include the corresponding ESPN rankings of guys so I know where the clowns in my league will take people and highlight a few players to remind myself when/why I wanted to take them

2. A positional sheet for the league, per DMD's suggestion from his book, so I can track who's taking what positions when

I usually don't look too much at prior drafting tendencies of league mates. I did a prelim look at this a few years ago for my main league but I couldn't see obvious patterns. Obviously this is totally league-dependent so I admit this could be helpful under other circumstances.

I thought about inviting Baby Jane to my local this year.

That was my first thought when I read the thread title, bring the biggest tool there is.

Usually ranking cheat sheets, depth charts, a sheet with my plan (usually grouped in rounds of 3), I try to bring less otherwise I'm always scrambling for different lists.