[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OT: Sunday Ticket

Heroes2010

I haven't paid for Sunday Ticket in 8 years. I just don't take any crap from them.

Wait a minute, I don't even have Direct TV...

Sorry to hear that.

My father-in-law has it. I spend a lot of Sundays there during the season.

Nice. Yeah, i had Comcast for years and would never go back. EVER.

• 4 weeks later...

Just spent a hour on the phone with DTV, in the end the customer retention department hooked me up when they were not willing to call my bluff of switching to dish. In the end I got Sunday ticket max and red zone channell free and a loyal customer monthly discount of $20 a month. Oh yeah, and a $60 credit for this month.... Maybe the best overall deal I have ever gotten from them, but it took a lot of talking and remaining polite with each person! Love this time of year!

When I switched from Dish to AT&T and called to cancel my Dish service they were still trying to keep me as a customer, offering all sorts of deals. I repeatedly told them "NO, I've already switched to another TV provider and have a 1 year committment with them." I relayed that to a few others I knew who had Dish to call when their contract is up and try to get some stuff for free.

I just don't have the patience to deal with that nonsense and try to get the best deal. I hate the business model (charge high prices and offer discounts to new customers and those who threaten to leave). Unfortunately many industries (TV, cell, etc.) are like this now, and they all play these games.

Glad you got something and are happy with it. I'd have had a coronary trying to remain calm with the average customer service rep.

I had to actually ask to be transferred to the customer retention department...once there I expressed my concern that they offer the ticket to new customers free and "I just don't see the value of staying with dtv". I mentioned getting the redZone channel from dish as a standalone for 14 a month. Also don't be afraid to throw in "my wife ain't gonna let me pay these high prices to get my football fix" in and they will offer you the deals if you have been with them a while. Hell, I would have left them a long time ago if I didn't learn of the customer retention department!

• Like 1

I had to actually ask to be transferred to the customer retention department...once there I expressed my concern that they offer the ticket to new customers free and "I just don't see the value of staying with dtv". I mentioned getting the redZone channel from dish as a standalone for 14 a month. Also don't be afraid to throw in "my wife ain't gonna let me pay these high prices to get my football fix" in and they will offer you the deals if you have been with them a while. Hell, I would have left them a long time ago if I didn't learn of the customer retention department!

This. All of it.

I do this same thing year after year.. I just signed into my DirecTV account online to see if they put me on the auto-renew as they do every other year. I clicked on "My Programming" and expecting to see that I was set to 'auto-renew', I wasn't. Under "My Sports Channels" I see the baseball package, 2 soccer packages, and the ESPN Game Plan package, all saying 'activate now'. I don't want any of those, but I didn't see the NFL Ticket. I looked down a little further and there it is.. "NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2014 - FREE $0.00". I was on the fence if I should even call them and ask them about it or just let it ride. I decided to call, and honestly - the woman I spoke with told me, "For the past 5 years we've comped you this package, and you continue to be a long-standing loyal customer, instead of calling us and asking for it, we just gave it to you." Usually I get the package for free along with $20 in monthly bill credits for 12 months, but this time I was so stoked that they just gave it to me, I didn't even ask about the bill credits. In the long run I'm gonna end up paying for it by losing out on those bill credits (until I call back in October), but right now - totally made my day as they just decided to potentially avoid that yearly call and just give it to me. :pickle::pickle:

Edited by Shorttynaz

Nice. I just called and they're not doing much. Told me that I can get a monthly credit of $10 off the ticket and $5 off cinemax and $5 off Showtime.

I declined and will continue to call back...

Yeah - that's usually what I do.. Last year was a struggle. I called mid-August and was advised there's not much they can do. I told them I pay too much for TV as I have Netflix and Hulu (don't have Hulu - but they don't know that) in which I can watch everything for about $20/month. The dude I was talking to told me "guess it doesn't pay to be a sports fan then, huh?" I told him that's what rabbit ears are for. :) Anyway - I got no where with him, so I decided to call Dish and get all the specifics about their services. It was more expensive for less channels compared to DirecTV - however I was having fun with the sales guy and letting him believe I was interested. He told me I can get my first year of service at $50 off the regular price for 12 months. I asked him about the free iPad they advertise. He told me that I can have it, but they're taking off the $50/month credit. I told him thanks, but they can keep their $600 iPad - DirecTV wins every time. He actually hung up on me. LOL

I called DirecTV back a few days later and fudged the #'s a little bit, but at least I sounded like someone who was about to can DirecTV and move on to Dish. Ultimately, I got the Genie for free, I got the NFL Ticket for Free, and I got my standard $20/month bill credits back for another year. That's the only year (in the past 5 years) that I really had to work to get it - just got to stay polite but persistent. :)

Edited by Shorttynaz

I've gotten some really sweet deals the past few years but this year I think I'm just going to cancel Sunday Ticket and go with local broadcasts and Game Rewind. I just don't have it in me to do the dance with them again.

I've gotten some really sweet deals the past few years but this year I think I'm just going to cancel Sunday Ticket and go with local broadcasts and Game Rewind. I just don't have it in me to do the dance with them again.

The dance sucks!

I do this same thing year after year.. I just signed into my DirecTV account online to see if they put me on the auto-renew as they do every other year. I clicked on "My Programming" and expecting to see that I was set to 'auto-renew', I wasn't. Under "My Sports Channels" I see the baseball package, 2 soccer packages, and the ESPN Game Plan package, all saying 'activate now'. I don't want any of those, but I didn't see the NFL Ticket. I looked down a little further and there it is.. "NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2014 - FREE $0.00". I was on the fence if I should even call them and ask them about it or just let it ride. I decided to call, and honestly - the woman I spoke with told me, "For the past 5 years we've comped you this package, and you continue to be a long-standing loyal customer, instead of calling us and asking for it, we just gave it to you." Usually I get the package for free along with $20 in monthly bill credits for 12 months, but this time I was so stoked that they just gave it to me, I didn't even ask about the bill credits. In the long run I'm gonna end up paying for it by losing out on those bill credits (until I call back in October), but right now - totally made my day as they just decided to potentially avoid that yearly call and just give it to me. :pickle::pickle:

I also see this on my account.. so no need to call?

And this is the problem with them and the rest of the industry. Everybody gets a different deal, and has to dance to get it. Just putting on your renewal as some are seeing in their online account as FREE would be the right way to treat your loyal customers. But they don't care, they want MORE/NEW customers, who they can bring on with a sweat deal, then charge you hundreds in the future unless you want to jump through their hoops.

Maybe if they just came up with a reasonable price for the product they could charge everybody that rate instead of charging some $200 or more and oithers get it for free with additional bill credits.

And this is the problem with them and the rest of the industry. Everybody gets a different deal, and has to dance to get it. Just putting on your renewal as some are seeing in their online account as FREE would be the right way to treat your loyal customers. But they don't care, they want MORE/NEW customers, who they can bring on with a sweat deal, then charge you hundreds in the future unless you want to jump through their hoops.

Maybe if they just came up with a reasonable price for the product they could charge everybody that rate instead of charging some $200 or more and oithers get it for free with additional bill credits.

I hear ya man.. Not trying to bend someone over, but really - I already WAY overpay for their service as it is. I think the longer you've been with them, the more 'lenient' they are with you as they realize that there are more and more options out there, and people are starting to cut the cord. I've had DirecTV service since 2004.

As for anyone who wants to try to get the best deal, my experience is to just call their main 800#, tell the automated system you want to cancel your service - this way, instead of having to talk and get irritated with someone who could care less, the system transfers you directly to the retention department out of the gate. What I've found that works is (1) STAY POLITE. (2) Tell them that you were looking at ways to lower your bill as you pay too much for TV, and you've decided to just cancel your service as you have Netflix and Hulu. Even if you don't, they don't know that. I just tell them I can get just about everything I want for about $20 a month, where I'm paying them 4-5 times that amount. To get the NFL ticket, tell them that your local cable company offers the NFL Redzone for $50/year, and there's no commitment or contract you have to agree to - this way when they offer you the package for free, they're already giving you the MAX package as that's the only way you can get Redzone with DTV. If they offer you just the basic ticket, tell them that all you watch is channel 703 and leave it there all day - again, something you can get from the local cable company for $50. The question remains, what if they call your bluff and say there's nothing they can do and ready to cancel your service. In the event that happens, just hang up. Say your cell phone dropped the call or something. They can't cancel it without reading through some script as you're locked into a contract with them. They have to read you something and you have to agree to it - just hang up (don't agree to it). Give it a day or two and call back - get someone else, work your charm again.

Sucks that not everyone gets it for free, but if you look at it from a business perspective, why give everything away for free up front - it's like car sales. You know your bottom line and the least you can take for a car, but you're going to ask for a lot more first, hoping to meet in the middle somewhere..

With that, good luck!

I'm not even a DirecTV or ST subscriber so I'm not trying to get the deal, but thanks for the info.

I just hate the whole business model, new customers get great deals, people who have the time and energy to complain get a good deal but not alwys the best, and everybody else is stuck paying a higher price because they don't want to try so hard to get a good deal. Just charge everybody a fair price to begin, especially loyal long time customers.

And calling and repeatedly trying to get a better deal would make my head explode. It is painful talking to most of the customer service reps at these companies, brain dead peopel following a flow chart and asking stupid questions you've answered already.

Because of your post I decided to check and see what my account had...

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2014 $0.00

Get every game every Sunday in HD on your TV and the Game Mix Channel, plus:

-Every 2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET game on your computer, tablet, and phone

-RED ZONE CHANNEL®

-Player Tracker

-Short Cuts

-NFL SUNDAY TICKET On Demand

:pickle: :pickle:

• Like 1

Good for you guys, now I'm even more pissed off!

• Like 1

Because of your post I decided to check and see what my account had...

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2014 $0.00

Get every game every Sunday in HD on your TV and the Game Mix Channel, plus:

-Every 2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET game on your computer, tablet, and phone

-RED ZONE CHANNEL®

-Player Tracker

-Short Cuts

-NFL SUNDAY TICKET On Demand

:pickle: :pickle:

Yeah, I'm still a little skeptical. Ill believe it come week 2 (week 1 is always free). Im gonna be pissed off if i don't have it or come to find a monthly fee of $40 added to my bill..

Edited by Shorttynaz