[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Affirmative Defense for one Tony Romo

Cowboyz1

I hate the fact that Matt "skin and bones" Ryan has a nickname of Matty Ice and has done nothing but lose. While Brees threw as many INT's as Romo last year yet picks have nothing to do with poor O line play and sorry defense that gives up hella points forcing your QB to feel like he has to do everything on his own. Not to mention Rivers who throws more picks then a law allows but no one labels him a pick machine.

This was a good read, I couldn't have said is better myself. Here are some facts to go with your perceptions.

Tony Romo haters take heed: Dallas Cowboys QB is underrated

• by Elliot Harrison
  • Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: July 10, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.
  • Updated: July 11, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.

Last week, I innocently penned an article on the most overrated/underrated Dallas Cowboys of all time. Somehow, I overlooked safety Roy Williams in the overrated section. Somehow, I overlooked that placing a certain quarterback in the underrated section would blow up my Twitter account.

Man, do people hate Tony Romo.

So, where does the negativity come from? How do people not see that Romo is, in fact, one of the most underratedplayers in our game?

Merriam-Webster -- the entity, the book, the all-knowing word channel that hovered over our fifth-grade year like Us Weekly over all things Lohan -- has this to say about "underrated": to rate too low; undervalue.

Undervalue. That's the key here.

How valuable is Romo? Well, the Dallas Cowboys just deemed that he's worth $108 million. And it's no wonder why: Considering how poorly the offensive line and defense played last season, the 'Boys should've considered themselves lucky to reach four wins, let alone eight.

Romo also is highly valued in sports television, where any big-time mistake he makes often becomes the lead highlight on "SportsCenter." You see, it's just not cool to show Romo tearing it up, like he did several times last year en route to a 4,900-yard campaign.

How did we get to this point with Romo? There are many factors to be considered, but

has to be the opener. No doubt about it: That was a terrible botch by the Cowboys' starting quarterback. But don't overlook the operative word in that sentence: starting. How many first-string quarterbacks are asked to hold kicks (in the playoffs, no less)? Bingo. This reeks of the Tuna.

Dallas lost that day -- now over six years ago -- and, of course, critics love to cite Romo's 1-3 career mark in the postseason as evidence of his overall inferiority. Incidentally, Matt Ryan, 1-4 in the playoffs, isn't held to the same standard. Truth is, NO quarterback should be held to that standard. Here's a cliché you can wrap your arms around:Football is a team game.

Critics hold Romo accountable as an individual, which is funny, because none of them want to hear his individualstatistics. They don't want to hear that he owns the fifth-highest passer rating in NFL history at 95.6. Or that analytics haven Pro Football Focus rated him as the 11th-best quarterback in football last season, 10th in 2011 and eighth in 2010.

Rather, Romo is singled out for faltering in big moments, late in games. But what if a fair-minded person understandably points to the fact that Romo has the highest fourth-quarter passer rating of any active quarterback in the NFL?

Nah, that's not valid, either. Romo just sucks.

Of course, those who watch the Cowboys closely know that not to be true. They know Miles Austin runs hot and cold,DeMarco Murray spends much of his time in the cold tub (oh, those injuries) and the defense just changed coordinators for the third time in four years (because that side of the ball is failing, having averaged a 23rd-place finish in points allowed over the past three campaigns).

In fact, it's Romo not sucking that generates much of the venom. What's the simplest explanation for rampant anti-Romoism in the world today? People love to hate the Cowboys. And thus, being a Dallas quarterback is The Clapper for the light bulb of animosity. But if that's the case, why don't people hate Chad Hutchinson? Or Drew Henson? Or the immortal Quincy Carter? Because you couldn't even make those guys good in Madden.

The bottom line is this: All those people who bag on Romo, or think his complete omission from the "Top 100 Players of 2013" was justified, don't want to hear any comparisons. Well, unless they go something like Eli has two Super Bowls and Romo has none. Makes sense on some levels, as they are division rivals and about the same age.

Then again, it makes no sense. Such proclamations are constantly yelled from the mountaintops to support the notion that Romo folds under pressure. Never mind that you can count on one hand the number of quarterbacks who were under as much pressure as Romo last season. Even league analysts who don't like Romo much acknowledge that no one has better pocket mobility, or is tougher to sack (save maybe Ben Roethlisberger).

Oh, and then there's this: Romo finished last season tied for third in the NFL with four game-winning drives, and theCowboys finished second in the league with eight come-from-behind victories. Say whaaaat?

Of course, all anyone remembers is the interception Romo threw to Washington Redskins LB Rob Jackson with the division title on the line in Week 17. No question: This was a critical error. The Redskins had blitzed from that side all night, so defensive coordinator Jim Haslett shrewdly had Jackson feign blitzing before dropping back into coverage. Romo was fooled, and the rest is history.

Obviously, that pick emboldened the haters. It should be noted, however, that Peyton Manning's back-breaking interception in the divisional round two weeks later was a far worse decision. Romo threw his ill-fated ball with a split-second to consider it. Manning rolled out, thought about what he was doing and tossed the ball across his body into coverage.

Hey, even the best quarterbacks are human. There's a reason it's the toughest position to play in sports. It's just that some guys are held more accountable than others.

That's why it was nice to see Kurt Warner rank Romo among his top 10 quarterbacks -- a list that purposefully excluded the young stars at the position. Warner certainly knows what it takes to sustain a high level of play in the NFL, year after year. And he's not unfamiliar with harsh criticism, either (or benching, for that matter).

Robert Griffin III is one of those young stars left off Warner's list. Although RGIII hasn't experienced much (if any) criticism in his fledgling career, he understands that the Cowboys quarterback is unfairly judged. That's why he approached Romo after the aforementioned Week 17 tilt, embraced him and said: "Hey, Tony. I just wanted to say to you don't listen to what anybody else is saying about you. You're a great quarterback, man."

If he's not great, he's certainly very good. And while, yes, he gets talked about a lot, that doesn't make the Cowboys quarterback "overrated" -- or even properly rated. When you're famous for people belittling you, nitpicking your every mistake and calling you a "choker," that makes you something else entirely.

Underestimated.

• Like 1

:lol: I don't even have to read it. The pick he threw against Washington is all I need to know. Game on the line he apples up every time. I hope he surprises me one day because he is very talented but the yips are the yips

I hate the fact that Matt "skin and bones" Ryan has a nickname of Matty Ice and has done nothing but lose.

Hold on, you're really going to say that Ryan, the guy with more wins and come from behind wins in his first 5 years than any other QB in that timespan (all with average at best defenses most years), fresh off a playoff game winning drive where he got them into field goal range with 30 seconds left, in favor of Tony choker Romo who's a big part of the Cowboys now yearly collapse?

Great fantasy QB, yes. Great leader, no.

:lol: I don't even have to read it. The pick he threw against Washington is all I need to know. Game on the line he apples up every time. I hope he surprises me one day because he is very talented but the yips are the yips

You do realize that he was playing with a broken rib and Wash was showing all out blitz and the linebacker fell into a spot that you could not see on a swing pass. Watch it again. No way he sees fletcher fall into that flat behind the tackle and guard. Safe pass 100% of the time. Fletcher made a great play being where he wasn't suppose to be and was never there all game long. I watched.

You do realize that he was playing with a broken rib and Wash was showing all out blitz and the linebacker fell into a spot that you could not see on a swing pass. Watch it again. No way he sees fletcher fall into that flat behind the tackle and guard. Safe pass 100% of the time. Fletcher made a great play being where he wasn't suppose to be and was never there all game long. I watched.

A great QB adapts to this sort of thing. Its not the first time in the NFL that a playoff qb was facing a blitz and a LB threw a wrinkle in on a play

Hold on, you're really going to say that Ryan, the guy with more wins and come from behind wins in his first 5 years than any other QB in that timespan (all with average at best defenses most years), fresh off a playoff game winning drive where he got them into field goal range with 30 seconds left, in favor of Tony choker Romo who's a big part of the Cowboys now yearly collapse?

Great fantasy QB, yes. Great leader, no.

Yes count how many times Romo has done that very same thing. Just to have our D give up the game winning drive the other way. Ryan is no Romo. Skin and Bones does nothing for me. Sorry. Romo has rewritten the Cowboys record books and will someday soon prove he can get it done. As everyone knows you can't do it alone. Ask Brees.

All I ask is that the Defense stay relatively healthy and the O line improve from a D to a B and you will see what kind of QB Slip is. You will all see.......

A great QB adapts to this sort of thing. Its not the first time in the NFL that a playoff qb was facing a blitz and a LB threw a wrinkle in on a play

Name another QB that has played and won with broken ribs (niners) coming back to do it. Hell Ryan would have folded up like a lawn chair given the same situation. No prob though. Just keep watching. Slip will have his year in the sun.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Name another QB that has played and won with a broken ribs (niners) coming back to do it. Hell Ryan would have folded up like a lawn chair given the same situation. No prob though. Just keep watching. Slip will have his year in the sun.

His rib hasn't been broken for 7 years straight has it ?

• Like 3

His rib hasn't been broken for 7 years straight has it ?

Whomper, you will one day come in here and say, "Cowboys" you were right. Romo is a stud. That day is coming, even though you can't see it. All he needs is a little help. What I mean by a little is when he puts up 31 points, it's a win because the defense will stop somebody. When he drops back in shot gun the ball is going to be snapped TO him and not over his head or in the turf. When the play is called the lines knows their blocking assignments AND can execute them. 3rd and 2 stays 3rd and 2 and doesn't go to 3rd and 7 because of a false start or a motion penalty. WR's run the routes they are suppose to and he doesn't have to tell them where to line up. The center lasts more than three plays of the first game. First down passes don't get called back for holding penalties. Last but not least, 1st and goal inside the five doesn't turn into 3rd and goal outside the 20 due to stupid line play.

I mean all the things this guy has to overcome and still finds a way to do it. If you look at the Ravens game you will see in the last drive he had to call the play, AND call the line blocking assignments while trying to get the play off before the clock. If all he had to do is lead the Offense and pass the ball, you would see a phenomenal QB. But he constantly has to overcome everyone elses mistake AND avoid his own. When everyone else consistently does their job, you will see the most prolific season a QB has had in some time. I believe Garrett is going to get the right folks in place to get the job done.

Edited by Cowboyz1

For me, less than 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, down by 6 or less, there is no other QB I would rather have than one Tony Romo AKA slip.

He is my QB and always will be until he retires.

AND

He WILL retire with a Super Bowl ring on his finger. I guarantee it!

Edited by Cowboyz1

Yes count how many times Romo has done that very same thing. Just to have our D give up the game winning drive the other way. Ryan is no Romo. Skin and Bones does nothing for me. Sorry. Romo has rewritten the Cowboys record books and will someday soon prove he can get it done. As everyone knows you can't do it alone. Ask Brees.

All I ask is that the Defense stay relatively healthy and the O line improve from a D to a B and you will see what kind of QB Slip is. You will all see.......

:mouth:

Yeah, you know Ryan has really relied on that vaunted Falcons D and superior O-line

You do realize that he was playing with a broken rib and Wash was showing all out blitz and the linebacker fell into a spot that you could not see on a swing pass. Watch it again. No way he sees fletcher fall into that flat behind the tackle and guard.

Um, this is a routine read for a QB to make. Every time.

Safe pass 100% of the time.

Apparently not.

I hate the fact that Matt "skin and bones" Ryan has a nickname of Matty Ice and has done nothing but lose.

QB 4Q/OT Wins 4Q/OT Losses Pct.

Matt Ryan 23 14 0.622

Tom Brady 38 25 0.603

Joe Montana 34 31 0.523

Peyton Manning 50 49 0.505

Dan Marino 51 50 0.505

Eli Manning 28 28 0.500

John Elway 49.5 51.5 0.490

Roger Staubach 23 24 0.489

Jay Cutler 17 18 0.486

Big Ben 30 32 0.484

If the chart doesn't post properly just refer to this article where I got it from: http://bleacherrepor...e-most-for-2013 just scroll down if you don't want to read and it's the 1st chart you'll come to.

Edited by keggerz

QB 4Q/OT Wins 4Q/OT Losses Pct.

Matt Ryan 23 14 0.622

Tom Brady 38 25 0.603

Joe Montana 34 31 0.523

Peyton Manning 50 49 0.505

Dan Marino 51 50 0.505

Eli Manning 28 28 0.500

John Elway 49.5 51.5 0.490

Roger Staubach 23 24 0.489

Jay Cutler 17 18 0.486

Big Ben 30 32 0.484

If the chart doesn't post properly just refer to this article where I got it from: http://bleacherrepor...e-most-for-2013 just scroll down if you don't want to read and it's the 1st chart you'll come to.

Matt Ryan

VS

Tony Romo

Romo has outperformed Ryan every year in both yardage and Touchdowns. Yes Romo has a few more INT's but one or two bad games account for 8 of those INT's. Also look at the running game Atlanta has versus the Cowboys.

What what happens this year now that they have an improved O line and a healthy defense. Also Dez now in his third year knows where to line up and where to be. Thank god Ogletree is gone so there won't be as many wrong routes hanging him out to dry. By the numbers, Romo is better period, not to mention his scramble ability and making plays out of nothing is far superior to Ryan.

Also take a look at Drew Brees INT's over the past three years. But he won in the playoffs behind a defense that scored for him and picked the ball. He didn't have to do it all.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Cowboyz, I do agree that Romo rarely has time to throw and he certainly makes something out of nothing a lot. He does compile some gaudy stats. I just feel the choking when the game is on the line countless times is a concrete and disturbing trend. If what you say happens and he surprises us. I will be as happy as a clam

Matt Ryan

VS

Tony Romo

Romo has outperformed Ryan every year in both yardage and Touchdowns. Yes Romo has a few more INT's but one or two bad games account for 8 of those INT's. Also look at the running game Atlanta has versus the Cowboys.

What what happens this year now that they have an improved O line and a healthy defense. Also Dez now in his third year knows where to line up and where to be. Thank god Ogletree is gone so there won't be as many wrong routes hanging him out to dry. By the numbers, Romo is better period, not to mention his scramble ability and making plays out of nothing is far superior to Ryan.

Also take a look at Drew Brees INT's over the past three years. But he won in the playoffs behind a defense that scored for him and picked the ball. He didn't have to do it all.

You said, "Ryan has a nickname of Matty Ice and has done nothing but lose." The chart I posted completely debunks that statement. That statement also had nothing to do with yards or touchdowns so I don't know why you brought them up now. Edited by keggerz