[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Affirmative Defense for one Tony Romo

Cowboyz1

You said, "Ryan has a nickname of Matty Ice and has done nothing but lose." The chart I posted completely debunks that statement. That statement also had nothing to do with yards or touchdowns so I don't know why you brought them up now.

Ok fair. How many rings does he have. NONE. How many playoff games has he lost 4. So a man named ICE has lost 4 playoff games and can't touch my man in yards or TD's in a season. I find that a bit strange thats all.

Cowboyz, I do agree that Romo rarely has time to throw and he certainly makes something out of nothing a lot. He does compile some gaudy stats. I just feel the choking when the game is on the line countless times is a concrete and disturbing trend. If what you say happens and he surprises us. I will be as happy as a clam

Really Whomp, it's not that I have some blind loyalty to the guy but I watch each and every game and you know what I see. I see Romo going to the line of scrimmage pointing out the mike linebacker, looking over the defense, checking his coverage then unlike many other QB's has this to deal with in the back of his mind:

Is Dez lined up right..........check

Is Olgetree in

Where my back shade pressure right

Look for the snap it may be off

God I hope Cook made that line adjustment

If Dez doesn't cross the safeties face check where

Witten is my blanky

chives times up snap it snap it.

I mean he literally has to run everything AND plan for contingencies AND make a play AND score Every touchdown save what 5 or 6. That is a lot of pressure and fog to play at an Elite level through week in and week out. Not to mention how often he feels he has to score every single series due to our defense giving up points like they were free hamburgers at a weight loss clinic.

AND he has to do all while knowing someones coming free up the gut or over free which means he has about 1.5 seconds to make up his mind.

I said all that to say this. Tony Romo has done a phenomenal job as the Cowboys QB and if the O line would do it's job better and Murray would play all 16 games (because he is a beast in pass protection, the best we have back there) and IF the defense could hold teams to 24 points or less, he would be in the playoffs and seriously contending for a title.

Honestly, your going to be very happy this year. I believe they understand what they must do to get over the hump. That is get these guys in Camp healthy and create some continuity on the O line.

I predict the O line will be some combination of this.

Smith Leary Frederick Costa/livings Free

They will be better. Murray and Randle will stay healthy so that we have reliable blocking out of the backs.

The defense will be stellar in that the linebackers are healthy, the corners are a year under their belt and some added depth with Webb. The safety spot will be better also with health and some depth that has gone through the training camp and understands the system.

Ratliff is back and Ware is healthy being asked only to get the QB now in the 4-3 instead of dropping in to coverage a lot of the time.

I'm just sayin. Romo is the best we have had for many years now and he is by far our best chance to win a SB.

All that needs to happen is this:

Walks up to the line of scrimmage:

Check the mike backer (center now smart enough and aware enough to make the line calls and adjustments)

Check coverage

Get into the right play

Snap the ball

1 mississippi.......2 mississippi........3 mississippi First Down no flags, no fumble, huddle up.

Watch, Whomp you gonna be very happy this year and so am I.

Final thought. When was the last time you saw the Cowboys offense catch the defense in a personnel change like many other teams do. I see it all the time players sprinting off the field and Romo trying to get the O set to get a free 5 yards but he just shakes his head and knows they can't get it done cause one or more players aren't set or paying attention.

Ok fair. How many rings does he have. NONE. How many playoff games has he lost 4. So a man named ICE has lost 4 playoff games and can't touch my man in yards or TD's in a season. I find that a bit strange thats all.

How many playoff games has Matt Ryan won? What about slip? Funny that you focus only on how many games he lost. Is it really the stupid nickname that bugs you, or that most fans think Romo is not very good.

The info that keg provided about comebacks and late wins is impressive for Ryan, while Slip isn't present.

Nobody is saying he is the worst QB in NFL, or that he might not do well at some point. But if he were not a Cowboy you would just think he's a giant turd. Your usual extreme homerism is clouding your judgement. Not that we'd expect anything less. ;)

How many playoff games has Matt Ryan won? What about slip? Funny that you focus only on how many games he lost. Is it really the stupid nickname that bugs you, or that most fans think Romo is not very good.

The info that keg provided about comebacks and late wins is impressive for Ryan, while Slip isn't present.

Nobody is saying he is the worst QB in NFL, or that he might not do well at some point. But if he were not a Cowboy you would just think he's a giant turd. Your usual extreme homerism is clouding your judgement. Not that we'd expect anything less. ;)

Romo can't play defense also ya know. He had the team in position to win with last minute drives 5 times last year alone. New England, Ravens just to name two.

Year after year he drives the team down and score a TD or FG just to watch the D give up the game with less then a minute and a half to go.

Just sayin. He does his job and get his team in position to win. You give him a D that holds teams under 24 points and you will see a serious run in the playoffs and a 12 win season.

QB 4Q/OT Wins 4Q/OT Losses Pct.

Matt Ryan 23 14 0.622

Tom Brady 38 25 0.603

Joe Montana 34 31 0.523

Peyton Manning 50 49 0.505

Dan Marino 51 50 0.505

Eli Manning 28 28 0.500

John Elway 49.5 51.5 0.490

Roger Staubach 23 24 0.489

Jay Cutler 17 18 0.486

Big Ben 30 32 0.484

If the chart doesn't post properly just refer to this article where I got it from: http://bleacherrepor...e-most-for-2013 just scroll down if you don't want to read and it's the 1st chart you'll come to.

And by the way here is last years comeback stats. Guess who leads the league! Full stats here

Comebacks 1. Tony Romo · DAL 5 Matt Ryan* · ATL 5 3. Sam Bradford · STL 4 Joe Flacco · BAL 4 Andrew Luck · IND 4 Russell Wilson · SEA 4 7. Robert Griffin III* · WAS 3 Eli Manning* · NYG 3 Peyton Manning*+ · DEN 3 Matthew Stafford · DET 3 Michael Vick · PHI 3

And by the way here is last years comeback stats. Guess who leads the league! Full stats here

Comebacks 1. Tony Romo · DAL 5 Matt Ryan* · ATL 5 3. Sam Bradford · STL 4 Joe Flacco · BAL 4 Andrew Luck · IND 4 Russell Wilson · SEA 4 7. Robert Griffin III* · WAS 3 Eli Manning* · NYG 3 Peyton Manning*+ · DEN 3 Matthew Stafford · DET 3 Michael Vick · PHI 3

Well, if he didn't play so crappy for 3 quarters he wouldn't have to "come back",

• Like 1

The Cowboys suck in spite of Romo...not because of him.

Not sure if the point of this thread is to defend Romo or compare him to other QBs, but this quote sums up my feelings on the matter. Romo was a good QB on his way to great things under Parcells' tutelage, as was the team. Bottom line is that Romo's teams do not win - the majority of the time this isn't his fault but his reputation/perception suffers for it.

Jerry Jones is ultimately responsible for squandering Romo's significant contributions to the success the Cowboys do have. Fantasy football-wise Romo should have a great year this year - is anyone confident that will translate into success for the Cowboys? That's the problem, in a nutshell.

Matt Ryan leads the league, nice find!

Watching the guy make critical errors in key situations is why I soured on him. I'm not providing a list of said occasions because I can't remember them all and don't care to look them up because this argument is a bit tired but realistic Cowboys fans know exactly what I'm talking about.

Mad skills and raw talent mixed with poor decision making in key moments creates the following...

Fantasy football - he's great!(unless one of those late fumbles or ints costs you those few pts you needed for the win)

As a Cowboys fan - I teeter on hating him (too much pain)

This passed funny a long time ago and is now bordering on sad.

Whatsup Hawk. I was counting on you chiming in way before now. No hawks on the schedule this year. I am disappointed. Then again, I can see Romo destined to redeem himself in the playoffs, assuming we both get there. I'm hopeful!

Buddy, I know you're hopeful. I saw this post for a few days and just didn't have the heart to reply. If you guys get there, I can't think of a team in the NFC I would rather see. I would rather see Dallas in the playoffs than Philly, Detroit, Arizona, or I anybody else I could think of. You guys have less of a chance of making a deep playoff run than very possibly any other team in the NFL, solely because of Slip.

Cowboyz1, I don't think I know anyone who has such blind loyalty to their QB as you do. And I do not mean that as a totally negative thing. I just think sometimes you miss the forest through the trees. Regardless of their defense, whenever the Cowboys have been in a position to succeed, it seems Romo makes a HORRIBLE pass or a fumble. It is to the point now where I almost EXPECT him to do something to throw the game away. It seems to me, and this is my opinion, is the older he gets, the bigger these moments are and he kind of folds. It is not a series of plays, but one BIG play that changes the whole game. And it is usually late. He is a talented QB - there is no denying that. What I feel he needs to succeed is to become more of a game manager and less of a game winner. Asking him to carry a team is almost too much for him. Take Eli for example. It seems like every couple of years, he has a new backfield, WR and TE. Yet he always remains productive. Same with Brady. Rodgers has no running game and plays in the brutal cold but always shines. Even Brees with his non existent Defense always makes the plays when he has the ball to give his team a chance. But with Romo, you almost feel that the opposing defense knows that late in a big game, he gets tense and if you throw a slight wrinkle at him, a turnover will happen.

But again, I applaud your homer-ism. I am not sure why you are worried about comparing Romo to Ryan except they both only have one playoff win. I do not see Romo ever winning a ring in Dallas. There are too many good teams in the NFC for a slightly above average team like Dallas to compete with. The best you should hope for is a NFC East title and possibly a playoff win.

Cowboyz1, I don't think I know anyone who has such blind loyalty to their QB as you do. And I do not mean that as a totally negative thing. I just think sometimes you miss the forest through the trees. Regardless of their defense, whenever the Cowboys have been in a position to succeed, it seems Romo makes a HORRIBLE pass or a fumble. It is to the point now where I almost EXPECT him to do something to throw the game away. It seems to me, and this is my opinion, is the older he gets, the bigger these moments are and he kind of folds. It is not a series of plays, but one BIG play that changes the whole game. And it is usually late. He is a talented QB - there is no denying that. What I feel he needs to succeed is to become more of a game manager and less of a game winner. Asking him to carry a team is almost too much for him. Take Eli for example. It seems like every couple of years, he has a new backfield, WR and TE. Yet he always remains productive. Same with Brady. Rodgers has no running game and plays in the brutal cold but always shines. Even Brees with his non existent Defense always makes the plays when he has the ball to give his team a chance. But with Romo, you almost feel that the opposing defense knows that late in a big game, he gets tense and if you throw a slight wrinkle at him, a turnover will happen.

But again, I applaud your homer-ism. I am not sure why you are worried about comparing Romo to Ryan except they both only have one playoff win. I do not see Romo ever winning a ring in Dallas. There are too many good teams in the NFC for a slightly above average team like Dallas to compete with. The best you should hope for is a NFC East title and possibly a playoff win.

See that is exactly my contention. If you look at that statistics, he make far more plays the win the game then he as ever made to lose them. The positive plays whisper while the negative shout. If we are behind in the 4th quarter I feel confident he will bring us back. However, I am not confident that the defense will hold once he does. Just look at the games we have won and lost over the last three years. For every bad play that cost us a game, I can show you 5 that help us win. I can name the games that he made mistakes in that cost us on one hand. Jets, Lions, Giants, Skins, Hawks, and Bears. That is 6 I games out of 50 that he blundered in. I may have missed a couple but those are the games people cling to. However, look at all the games he put the team on his back.

Undefeated Saints, Undefeated Colts, Niners comeback with broken ribs, Skins the following week last drive, Giants win on opening, Ahead against Patriots defense can't hold, Skins game winning drive defense holds, Dolphins, Giants defense cant hold and lose in last minutes but Romo drive to put us ahead

Beat Giants great game, Get run over by the Hawks, Game winning drive to beat Bucs, Has Ravens beat but Bailey missed field goal, Drive to beat the Panthers, Eagles, Browns, and plays well against the skins but D gives up 3 bombs and 38 points to Romo's 31, game winning drive against the Bengals, put up 38 on the Eagles, Game winning drive to beat the Steelers, Rallies to put us in position to beat the saints but defense can't hold again and we get beat by a field goal.

My whole point is that Romo puts this team in position to win 12 games a year and the Defense finds a way to lose 4 of them. Romo may cost us a couple each year but thats only 2 losses. Bress through 19 picks last year also and had a 4 and 5 pick game. Rivers had 5 pick games. Ryan has multiple pick games. Manning threw a pick to lose the playoffs last year over the middle in overtime to lose, but nobody jumps all over them. I get it though, Dallas is perhaps the most polarizing team in the nation.

Romo is NO choker. He is clutch and if this defense stays healthy this year your going to see those 4 loses turn into wins and we will get to 11 or 12 wins.

The only thing that sticks in peoples mind is his mistakes but if you consider all the times he puts this team in positions to win, given what he can control which is Offense, he does that far more than he costs us games. He also is also top 5 in just about every meaningful QB category in the league, except playoff wins, which fair or not is really what people look at.

He will get his mark my words and when he does, I will personally feed each and every negative word to all you haters, one joyful spoonful at a time.

Here's to 2013. ;)

Now that I got that off my chest. I am not going to talk anymore, the time for walking is at hand.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Romo can't play defense also ya know. He had the team in position to win with last minute drives 5 times last year alone. New England, Ravens just to name two.

Year after year he drives the team down and score a TD or FG just to watch the D give up the game with less then a minute and a half to go.

Just sayin. He does his job and get his team in position to win. You give him a D that holds teams under 24 points and you will see a serious run in the playoffs and a 12 win season.

The D gave up less than 22/game in 2011

The D gave up less than 22/game in 2011

Yes but Romo was hurt for most of the year and his throwing hand looked like the Elephant man in the final game to get them in the playoffs losing to the Giants. They gave up 24 or more points in 7 games that year and held 6 teams under 14.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Tony Romo is 1 of 64 players to pass for 25k+ in NFL history. He's 1 of 6 in that group w/4 or more playoff games & 1 or fewer PO wins.

Romo(1-3),Grogan(0-4),Ferguson(1-3),YA Title(0-5),Hadl(1-3) & DeBerg(1-3). 9 others w/1 or fewer wins but played in fewer than 4 PO games

Norm Snead is only player in NFL history w/25K+ passing yds(30,797) that didn't play in a playoff game. Only had 1 winning season...and he is included in the "9 others"

If Romo is so great, why is there any need to a defense, affirmative or otherwise.

You know the definition of insanity, right, C1? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It would appear based upon your annual preseason posts that you qualify as certifiable.

Your blinding homerism is frightening. Great QB's are great IN SPITE of things like defenses, injuries, supporting WR's, and running games. QB's that need those things in order to accomplish anything are called game managers.