[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pyramid-style League

49erAddict-08

For the past 8 years, our league has been a two-conference league (20-24 teams), with the conference champions meeting up in the Super Bowl each year. This year one of our owners made a suggestion that I am contemplating. Instead of having two equal conferences, make sort of an A-league/B-league a la european soccer. We would have a premiere league with 12 teams and then another league with 8-12 (depending on the number of teams). Every year the bottom 4 from the premiere league would move down and the top 4 from the bottom league would move up.

It sounds like it could be a lot of fun. The only thing I have doubts about is whether it would be too discouraging to be in the bottom league. If the bottom league can remain a fun, competitive league despite being the "lesser" of two leagues, I think it would work well. Otherwise, it sort of kills the whole idea.

Has anyone ever tried this before? What are your thoughts?

You haven't explained how the leagues would differ as far as how they compete for the championship, provisions, etc., so it's hard to comment. But in general, I would say that nobody wants to be in a "bottom" league. Would bet that you would experience a lot of drop-outs with this format, putting you in the position of trying to recruit a lot of owners year to year.

There is a league here called the Huddle Ladder that works like that. 4 move up and 4 move down with multiple leagues. With people who are friends it may work out OK especially if the winner of the bottom league can still win money

You haven't explained how the leagues would differ as far as how they compete for the championship, provisions, etc., so it's hard to comment. But in general, I would say that nobody wants to be in a "bottom" league. Would bet that you would experience a lot of drop-outs with this format, putting you in the position of trying to recruit a lot of owners year to year.

I guess I haven't figured it all out yet but I was thinking the following: technically, only the teams in the top league would compete for the league championship that year. The 4 lowest scoring non-playoff teams from the top league would drop down at the end of the year. In the bottom league, we would either bring up the four playoff teams or do some sort of combination like: the two teams playing in the championship + the team with the highest regular season point total + winner of the 3rd place or consolation bracket.

Zooty - I like the idea of the winner of the bottom league still earning a payout. Right now our league has a big traveling trophy. Maybe we could get the bottom league a smaller traveling trophy as well.