[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Riley Cooper Career Suicide

Cowboyz1

It's not the word, it's the connotation. Words are completely arbitrary and meaningless in themselves.

So when it's used as an endearing term by members of that group, it shouldn't really matter, but when it's used to express hate, then clearly that connotation attaches itself to the word... I do also get what Cowboyz is saying that they shouldn't even try to flip it into a postive term, given the hateful history it represents. But it's not the word that matters, it's what is meant when it's said.

There was actually a segment on Tosh.0 where he used completely made up terms like "Sppon face", but used them in an offensive way to see if it offended people of different groups, and it did in many cases, not because of the words, but the way it was used to imply an insult.

On a related note, I cannot stand the overuse of the term "racist" to include even innocent jokes and commentary. It should be reserved for truly hateful speech, regardless of what terms they're using to do it.

Using that view then, people who use the N word to refer to blacks (African Americans or whateve term you're comfortable with) should be ok, becasue they are not attaching any hate to it, its just the term they use for people of that race.

It cannot be ok for rappers and others to use as a term for each other, then for people to get offended anytime a white person uses it. A black person could get up on stage at a rap concert and say "hey wazzup ni**as" very few would care, or have any issues with it.

Using that view then, people who use the N word to refer to blacks (African Americans or whateve term you're comfortable with) should be ok, becasue they are not attaching any hate to it, its just the term they use for people of that race.

It cannot be ok for rappers and others to use as a term for each other, then for people to get offended anytime a white person uses it. A black person could get up on stage at a rap concert and say "hey wazzup ni**as" very few would care, or have any issues with it.

Your first paragraph was correct. I have no idea how you drew that conclusion in the second paragraph.

Context means everything for the meaning that is attached to the word. In the context of blacks using it, they are trying to flip the hateful term into a positive word, gays have done this as well with queer and dyke. Trying to take away the hateful term by using it themselves in a positive way.

But this is in response to the context that it is used in a clearly hateful way... Thus if someone outside of that group uses it, it doesn't take a genius to realize that they mean it in the derogatory way it's traditionally been used.

The word itself only means what the context says it means. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some of you to understand, that Riley Cooper didn't mean it as a term of respect.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

It's a terrible word. No question.

But this is still America - even though it is not the country it used to be. I'll condemn his choice to use the word, but I'll abdolutely defend his right to use it all he wants if he's that stupid.

That said, the NFL is a private business entity, and as such I would fully support whatever course of action they choose, including terminating Coopet if they so chose to do so because they felt he damaged their product.

It's a terrible word. No question.

But this is still America - even though it is not the country it used to be. I'll condemn his choice to use the word, but I'll abdolutely defend his right to use it all he wants if he's that stupid.

That said, the NFL is a private business entity, and as such I would fully support whatever course of action they choose, including terminating Coopet if they so chose to do so because they felt he damaged their product.

As I said before. Ray Lewis killed someone and somehow that did not hurt the product.

If people cannot get past a word but can get past that ,there is where the problem is. of course I know that is not what you imply here and understand your point of view.

As I said before. Ray Lewis killed someone and somehow that did not hurt the product.

If people cannot get past a word but can get past that ,there is where the problem is. of course I know that is not what you imply here and understand your point of view.

guys get arrested for beating women, dui's..no prob. say that word, your career is over. God bless America

Regardless of how you feel about it, one thing that everyone, Riley Cooper included, should know by now in this society is that you can't utter that word, such a demeaning, racist word and expect no repercussions. The consequences that he is experiencing now are predictable, expected, and deserved.

• Like 2

If it is that prevelant in the music you listen to, and you find it offensive, stop listening to that crap music.

That's my point. I can't and don't listen to it. I use to like hip hop and dance music but I can't listen to it anymore due to the lyrics just being so over the top. I'm a jazz and NFL radio guy now.

If you have such definitive proof of Lewis' actions, it's a damned shame you didn't come forward much earlier so that appropriate justice could be meted out.

I agree this is career suicide and an insensitive (putting it mildly) comment. If the inverse were true and a black athlete used "Cracker" in a derogatory documented scenario, it wouldn't even make the news. The whole Paula Deen fiasco is resonant in this one. Was he wrong... yes. Does it mean he's a racist, maybe. Are the scales weighted the same... me thinks not.

I agree this is career suicide and an insensitive (putting it mildly) comment. If the inverse were true and a black athlete used "Cracker" in a derogatory documented scenario, it wouldn't even make the news. The whole Paula Deen fiasco is resonant in this one. Was he wrong... yes. Does it mean he's a racist, maybe. Are the scales weighted the same... me thinks not.

The difference here though is that I still don't know what cracker means. It has no meaning, no history. I mean there really isn't a word that evokes anything like the N word. I could just as soon get my arse kicked by a white guy for calling him a cheat or a liar than cracker.

If a black athlete said the same thing in public he would be chastised the same as if he said fkr or a$$hole. Both inflammatory but in no way as demeaning. Now the same black person, called him, say. a Rapist in public then yes, that would be close to the N word. Why, because it says you are something lower than low, something you don't want to be and darn sure don't want people thinking you are. Moreover, you would probably fight to be sure it didn't stick............

Stupid thing is, if we as black people don't want to be thought of as Ngrs and don't want the term used to hurt us, then it stands to reason we should stop using it to define us in music, movies, stand up and most of all introductions. I mean, if I say what's up Joe and this is MY Ngr Mike, what are people around suppose to think who overhear or watch that interaction. I'm no genius but if I heard that interaction I would say Mike's a Ngr and doesn't mind being addressed in that fashion. If we don't want to be addressed or defined with the word, then stop using it. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Cooper deserves to lose his career on account of being a serious dumbass.

I'm a lurker. Don't think I've logged in to the boards in over a year. Furthermore, I usually weigh CD's opinion heavily. This statement is asinine. Cooper has been working (I assume his ass off) for years at this profession. When we allow, or even want, an American to lose their livelihood based on what the majority believes to be a "dumbass statement", we are effectively changing the core of our country. I don't give a sh!t what color, sexuality, religion, belief or statement you have, you are entitled to it. Doesn't mean I like you, doesn't mean I won't have statements about you, doesn't mean I have to agree with you. But you aren't in China. (how do I turn off italics? how did I turn on italics?) If you aren't physically damaging another, it is your right. I think you are speaking from emotion CD, not the logic you typically employ. hmmm...now that I think about it, rooting for the Chiefs isn't logical in the first place.

Cooper was wrong to say what he did.

Now to address something else...people that say he is a racist because he said that horrible word...same goes for Paula Deen...how do you feel about the following?

If someone finds out some F'd up info about someone and they say, "I'm gonna kill that MF'er", does that make them a murderer?

Or what about the parent that is told something bad that their friends kid did and they respond with, "if that was my kid I'd beat his ever-loving ass", does that make that parent a child abuser because of what they said?

Just something to think about is all. I'm pretty sure there are times we have all said or done something we regret, and I'm sure we would all say that one moment doesn't and shouldn't define who we are.

• Like 1

Cooper was wrong to say what he did.

Now to address something else...people that say he is a racist because he said that horrible word...same goes for Paula Deen...how do you feel about the following?

If someone finds out some F'd up info about someone and they say, "I'm gonna kill that MF'er", does that make them a murderer?

Or what about the parent that is told something bad that their friends kid did and they respond with, "if that was my kid I'd beat his ever-loving ass", does that make that parent a child abuser because of what they said?

Just something to think about is all. I'm pretty sure there are times we have all said or done something we regret, and I'm sure we would all say that one moment doesn't and shouldn't define who we are.

Your right Keggerz, we can't just assume Cooper is racist just because for whatever reason he decided to scream out the one and only word that surely will get a black person's attention. That is not why I say he committed career suicide. Riley Cooper made a mistake that should really only cost him or put a wedge between the individuals that were there. However, since his outburst went global this is what happened.

You see every time Riley Cooper looks into the eyes of his black teammates or any other black man, that black man has to wonder. Does he respect me or is he just playing the game so he can keep his Job. In order to be a genuine teammate you have to have trust. And from the moment he yelled those words, he shattered that fragile gift that very difficult to earn and near impossible to truly get back. He may as well of shot every black man in the heart that was in ear range of that verbal bullet.

Let me tell you about that bullet. It stings, it pierces, it reaches back 100's of years and grabs hold of memories in most black people pasts that remind us of that time we felt humiliated, degraded and perhaps afraid. You see you have to remember if you were born prior to 1970 like me we were just coming out of the sixties. Civil rights was still raw issue. If you were born earlier than that you had seen even more ugly. In my case I was raised in an all white town, in the country. I had a great father that taught me to leave a good impression on everyone you meet and realize you have a responsibility to the next black man.

But I will tell you this. When and if I hear that word shouted in anger, I get instant recall. Mrs. Gibbs, my third grade teacher telling three 6th graders these exact words "someone needs to kick that little Ngrs a$$". I ran for 45 straight minutes, all lunch time avoiding them. Luckily the lord blessed me with speed cause I was a scrawny as a whip.

So you see, it just isn't the word. Every black man living in America has similar stories I promise you. And if you take all those memories and gather them all together, pack them into one ball and put that ball in a box to forget. All it takes is a Riley Cooper to grab that box and say the magic word for that ball of pain and humiliation, and anger and betrayal to jump back up and be present in every single black persons mind.

Therefore, when Riley Cooper looks into his black teammates eyes it will be hard not for that teammate to not snap back to whatever pain is in his past associated with that word used in a moment of anger. Cooper in essence made himself a time machine to a hurtful past and that is a hard thing to overcome in a locker room where you have to trust the guys you go to battle with.

That is why he committed Career suicide, not because he may or may not be racist. Because he created one HUGE question mark as to why he elected to use THAT particular word. And since he is the only one who can answer that, we and all his teammates are left to guess. And nobody feels good guessing whether your feelings are important. You just as soon stay away and stay safe.

Edited by Cowboyz1

If a black athlete said the same thing in public he would be chastised the same as if he said fkr or a$$hole. Both inflammatory but in no way as demeaning. Now the same black person, called him, say. a Rapist in public then yes, that would be close to the N word.

So you would rather be called a rapist is what you say here than the N word?

Being called a rapist is a million times worse than being called the N word. it is not even in the same category my friend.

Inform yourself on the case and get back with me.

Why do I need to inform myself? You're here and apparently know things to be fact that prove Lewis to be a murderer, and that no one else does since the state didn't convict Lewis of murder.

Why don't you share that?

The 3/5 compromise was for the purposes of voting in members of the House of Representatives and President, it was not The Founders attempt to declare a black person was 3/5ths of a human being.

On the one hand, the South wanted to declare slaves as property, not people, and enjoy all the advantages of that designation, and on the other hand, they wanted them considered full citizens/people for the purpose of voting. The North was not going to let them have it both ways. It was created to diminish to electoral power of the southern states, who had an exponentially larger number of slaves than the North.

Upon reading the Constitution himself, after being lied to all his life about the 3/5 compromise, even Frederick Douglass came to this conclusion. But the 3/5th's distortion still persists to this day.

Edited by PPIchamp

Your right Keggerz, we can't just assume Cooper is racist just because for whatever reason he decided to scream out the one and only word that surely will get a black person's attention. That is not why I say he committed career suicide. Riley Cooper made a mistake that should really only cost him or put a wedge between the individuals that were there. However, since his outburst went global this is what happened.

You see every time Riley Cooper looks into the eyes of his black teammates or any other black man, that black man has to wonder. Does he respect me or is he just playing the game so he can keep his Job. In order to be a genuine teammate you have to have trust. And from the moment he yelled those words, he shattered that fragile gift that very difficult to earn and near impossible to truly get back. He may as well of shot every black man in the heart that was in ear range of that verbal bullet.

Let me tell you about that bullet. It stings, it pierces, it reaches back 100's of years and grabs hold of memories in most black people pasts that remind us of that time we felt humiliated, degraded and perhaps afraid. You see you have to remember if you were born prior to 1970 like me we were just coming out of the sixties. Civil rights was still raw issue. If you were born earlier than that you had seen even more ugly. In my case I was raised in an all white town, in the country. I had a great father that taught me to leave a good impression on everyone you meet and realize you have a responsibility to the next black man.

But I will tell you this. When and if I hear that word shouted in anger, I get instant recall. Mrs. Gibbs, my third grade teacher telling three 6th graders these exact words "someone needs to kick that little Ngrs a$$". I ran for 45 straight minutes, all lunch time avoiding them. Luckily the lord blessed me with speed cause I was a scrawny as a whip.

So you see, it just isn't the word. Every black man living in America has similar stories I promise you. And if you take all those memories and gather them all together, pack them into one ball and put that ball in a box to forget. All it takes is a Riley Cooper to grab that box and say the magic word for that ball of pain and humiliation, and anger and betrayal to jump back up and be present in every single black persons mind.

Therefore, when Riley Cooper looks into his black teammates eyes it will be hard not for that teammate to not snap back to whatever pain is in his past associated with that word used in a moment of anger. Cooper in essence made himself a time machine to a hurtful past and that is a hard thing to overcome in a locker room where you have to trust the guys you go to battle with.

That is why he committed Career suicide, not because he may or may not be racist. Because he created one HUGE question mark as to why he elected to use THAT particular word. And since he is the only one who can answer that, we and all his teammates are left to guess. And nobody feels good guessing whether your feelings are important. You just assume stay away and stay safe.

The problem is we have the boy who cried wolf story going on so much with the word racism. you bring up that black males are committing over 50 percent of the murders even tho they only make up 10 percent of the population you are a racist. you bring up low testing in black schools and you are a are a racist. you bring up the black crime rates you are a racist. and you know what does make people racist? when people use their race as a crutch.

I mean we can all agree Cooper was stupid for saying it. but to end his career? over 1 word? anyone who thinks this is not using their head but using there heart.

Slavery is over with . if you keep looking backwards you will trip over what is in front of you.

Why do I need to inform myself? You're here and apparently know things to be fact that prove Lewis to be a murderer, and that no one else does since the state didn't convict Lewis of murder.

Why don't you share that?

I state OJ was a murderer to. you wanna argue that 1 as well?