[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 Things I learned At Redskins Training Camp

keggerz

I got media credentials for Redskins training camp this year, so I thought I'd share my findings. Couldn't make the first few days but was there for day 5(Tues) & 6(Wed) this week.

1. NFL players look big from afar but they look 10x bigger when they are heading right for you. I almost got mowed over by Alfred Morris, Josh Wilson, some LBs and OL. Didn't know I could move so fast.

2. Brian Orakpo looks extremely powerful and explosive.

3. The WRs, as a unit, looked fantastic on Tuesday & Garcon looks to be 100% healthy.

4. Orakpo thinks that Perry Riley is the heir to Fletcher's spot on the D. Said he thinks the team is grooming him for it.

5. Fred Davis impressed me. On a 1yr deal you might think it would be all about wanting the ball to get a pay day but he spoke to winning a championship and seemed to be very genuine about it. He also added he felt his chemistry with RG3 was improving before he got hurt last year. fwiw, the Skins ranked 26th in TE targets last year.

6. I asked Bacarri Rambo what the biggest transition for him from college to running with the 1st team was, he said, "knowing what I gotta do, remember what the coaches told me...game speed."

7. I asked Raheem Morris about Bacarri Rambo and he seemed high on him but reiterated twice that they need to see him in game action.

8. Kai Forbath didn't look good kicking during the walk-through on Wed. He missed 3 or 4 kicks (Potter made all of his)...Looked like Shanny was giving him an earful on the field afterwards but when I asked him about it at the post-practice press conference he didn't seem concerned (3:54 for his response)

9. When I asked Shanahan about DeAngelo Hall being out of his boot he said, "he just isn't ready yet but is day to day..." (13:00 for his entire response)

10. Redskins fans absolutely LOVE RG3 and he embraces them. On Tuesday he easily spent more time signing autographs (about 90 minutes) after practice than he did practicing.

I can't make it to camp next week but the following week I should be there for three days. Should get a better feel at that point with regard to some of the camp battles.

Edited by keggerz

5. Fred Davis impressed me. On a 1yr deal you might think it would be all about wanting the ball to get a pay day but he spoke to winning a championship and seemed to be very genuine about it. He also added he felt his chemistry with RG3 was improving before he got hurt last year. fwiw, the Skins ranked 26th in TE targets last year.

Yeah, he was the Redskins' leading receiver at the time he got hurt last year.

Shhh...

Yeah, he was the Redskins' leading receiver at the time he got hurt last year.

Shhh...

Thing I don't like is that he only had 32 targets in 7 games...but I do think there is plenty of upside with him. I didn't count the number of times the TEs were targeted but it seemed like a fair amount. That's something I plan to key on the next time I go.

Nice, strong question-asking voice you have. Very regal. Almost as if you were born for the job.

Not like that pansy whomper.

i was actually a bit nervous that my 1st question to a two-time Super Bowl winning head coach was about a kicker. So if you are being serious and not screwing around, I say thank you...but if you are screwing with me :moon: Edited by keggerz

i was actually a bit nervous that my 1st question to a two-time Super Bowl winning head coach was about a kicker. So if you are being serious and not screwing around, I say thank you...but if you are screwing with me :moon:

No, I'm serious. You sounded fine. And Shanahan didn't bitch-slap you, so that's a positive.

1. NFL players look big from afar but they look 10x bigger when they are heading right for you. I almost got mowed over by Alfred Morris, Josh Wilson, some LBs and OL. Didn't know I could move so fast.

I met a few UT football players in my time in Austin (I knew the team photographer and worked for a magazine that had a lot of collegiate events). Those guys are huge. Kheeston Randle (now with the Fins) shook my hand and it felt like my hand was that of a baby's. And I have pretty big mitts myself. :shocking:

Those dudes are hugh.