[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Preseason week 1

3rd and schlong

Axually, 66 of Michael's 89 yards came in the second half, and he only had one carry longer than three yards with the starters. He looked very much the lost rookie with the first unit. He repeatedly ran into places where there wasn't a hole, put his head down, and got 1-3 yards. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot, but he should not be on anybody's fantasy roster unless you're on a deep enough team to draft a guy who is going to battle for a backup role.

Yeah, that's what I said.

The leading rusher for the Chiefs in their preseason opener was--wait for it--Chase Daniel, with one 14-yard scramble.

Charles was involved in 8 of the 14 plays on the Chiefs' opening scoring drive. He accounted for 40 yards of the 80 yard drive and caught 3 balls on 3 targets--and scored the dunk TD--all in 6:23 of the first quarter. If he keeps up this pace all season, Charles will have 451 catches, 6016 combined yards, and 150 TDs.

Mark Ingram posted a solid 4.0 yards per carry on 3 carries. Sproles had 2 rushes for 3 yards and no catches.

Ryan Tannehill threw more than twice as many TDs to his old TE (Fasano) last season than he did to any other receiver. His first TD of the preseason went to his new TE (Keller). Keller caught two passes overall for 22 and 24 yards.

Blaine Gabbert, listed as the Jaguars’ starting QB, went 5 of 10 for 19 yards and an INT, for a QB rating of 16.7. Chad Henne was 8 of 11 for 87 yards, for a QB rating of 95.6. What are they seeing in practice that makes Gabbert the starter? At least Gabbert can go to Mike Kafka without losing a beat; Kafka went 4 of 8 for 19 yards and an INT, for an identical QB rating of 16.7.

The Dolphins’ RB isn’t yet set in stone. Daniel Thomas averaged 4.8 ypc on 4 carries for 19 yards; Lamar Miller averaged 3.0 ypc on 2 carries for 6 yards. Miller was also targeted as a receiver three times, making the catch only once for 6 more yards.

The first drive of the Jets’ preseason ended with a pick 6 thrown by Sanchez.

Calvin Johnson is worth the first rounder. Reggie Bush may not be worth the second-rounder. Jeremy Kerley will be a top 25 WR and is a steal in the 13th round.

Kickalicious had 99 yards of FGs on 2 kicks. Akers had 82 yards of FGs on 2 kicks--and 2 XPs. Whoever wins this battle is going to be a kicker you don’t stream.

New England, the passing team, threw for 194 yards on 38 attempts--an average of 4.7 yards per pass play--while rushing for 248 yards on 31 attempts--an average of 8.0 yards per carry. Philadelphia, the rushing team, ran for 131 yards on 35 attempts--an average of 3.7 yards per carry--while passing for 321 yards on 48 attempts--an average of 6.3 yards per pass.

Carson Palmer had a 149.3 QB rating after amassing 77 yards and a TD on 4 completions in 6 attempts. His two primary backups, Stanton and Lindley, also had QB ratings in excess of 100.

Christian Ponder had two pass attempts. He completed one to teammate Jerome Simpson for 15 yards, and the other he completed to Shiloh Keo of the Texans for a 10 yard INT return. It might be a long year for Vikings’ receivers.

On the plus side, Cordarrelle Patterson caught 4 balls from Matt Cassel on 4 targets for 54 yards. DeAndre Hopkins returned serve with 4 catches on 4 targets for 52 yards and a TD.

15 different Bears caught passes.

Matt Forte rushed 1 time for -1 yard, but caught 1 pass for 5 yards, upping his average to 2 yards per touch.

DeAngelo Williams rushed 5 times for 10 yards, and that included a single 6 yard run. On the other four carries he averaged--well, you do the math. Kenjon “Burner” Barner rushed 9 times for 37 yards and a TD--but also lost a fumble.

Cam Newton did not have a single rushing yard. His passing wasn’t much better, as he went 3 for 6 for 16 yards, with a TD and an INT, for a 56.3 QB rating.

Tony Romo went 6 for 8 for 88 yards and a 110.4 QB rating. (Remember those first two digits.) Dez Bryant got 55 of those yards on 3 catches from 3 targets; DeMarco Murray got an 11-yard catch from 2 targets, and just to keep up the multiples of 11, Miles Austin got the other 22 yards on 2 11-yard catches from 2 targets. (Just in case you were wondering, Cole Beasley wears #11 for the Cowboys.) Could Dallas win 11 games this season?

Edited by Axe Elf

What game is everyone watching? Any specific insights? It's football season now. Regrettably I'm on the clock and cannot watch

I didn't watch any of the games. Partly because it's only week one. Mostly because I was watching DVRed episodes of Suits, Covert Affairs, and (hangs head in shame :bag: ) Drop Dead Diva with my wife. This is preparation as crucial to my football season as my adp and rankings lists are to my drafts. Because once the season starts for real, my wife allows/puts up with/suffers through me watching any and every game on Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night and Saturday during the season. So I'm padding my account with her to make up for all the withdrawals I'll be making through the season.

First four rushes for David Wilson:

D. Wilson rushed to the left for no gain

D. Wilson rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

D. Wilson rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain

D. Wilson rushed to the right for 5 yard gain

First four rushes for Andre Brown:

A. Brown rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

A. Brown rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

A. Brown rushed up the middle for 7 yard gain

A. Brown rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

First catch for David Wilson:

D. Carr passed to D. Wilson to the left for 1 yard gain

First catch for Andre Brown:

D. Carr passed to A. Brown down the middle for 7 yard gain

Who do YOU want?

Oh, and then there was the first catch for Victor Cruz:

E. Manning passed to V. Cruz down the middle for 57 yard touchdown

Antonio Brown was targeted 3 times and had 0 catches.

Edited by Axe Elf

First four rushes for David Wilson:

D. Wilson rushed to the left for no gain

D. Wilson rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

D. Wilson rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain

D. Wilson rushed to the right for 5 yard gain

First four rushes for Andre Brown:

A. Brown rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

A. Brown rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

A. Brown rushed up the middle for 7 yard gain

A. Brown rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

First catch for David Wilson:

D. Carr passed to D. Wilson to the left for 1 yard gain

First catch for Andre Brown:

D. Carr passed to A. Brown down the middle for 7 yard gain

Who do YOU want?

Oh, and then there was the first catch for Victor Cruz:

E. Manning passed to V. Cruz down the middle for 57 yard touchdown

Antonio Brown was targeted 3 times and had 0 catches.

Based on one game? Who do I want? I'll take Frisman Jackson.

• Like 2

Based on one game?

I'd base it more on the fact that Brown is their goalline back, Brown's career 5.3 ypc avg compared to Wilson's 5.0, and Wilson's propensity for fumbling (7 at Virginia Tech in 2011 and a costly one last year that put him in Coughlin's doghouse).

Consider this one game just another bit of supportive evidence.

I'd base it more on the fact that Brown is their goalline back, Brown's career 5.3 ypc avg compared to Wilson's 5.0, and Wilson's propensity for fumbling (7 at Virginia Tech in 2011 and a costly one last year that put him in Coughlin's doghouse).

Consider this one game just another bit of supportive evidence.

Then just say that next time - no need to paste a bunch of preseason game stats without offering a real position.

Brown is a way better value than Wilson in drafts. It's not just Wilson's fumbling but his pass pro skills that worry me. He's the kind of player that can be very good with only 10-12 touches a game, but people are dreaming if they think he's just going to get handed the keys to the car. Coughlin has had a two-back system most of his tenure in NY except w/ Tiki Barber when he first took over as coach, and Andre Brown isn't going anywhere. Granted, the 5.3 YPC you cite is a small sample size (73 carries - so kind of like 4 or 5 games' worth). But Brown appears to be a steal IMO even if his role has nowhere to go but smaller. He also feels like the perfect guy to draft hen trade to a RB needy team by week 3 or 4.

Edited by MTSuper7

I didn't watch any of the games. Partly because it's only week one. Mostly because I was watching DVRed episodes of Suits, Covert Affairs, and (hangs head in shame :bag: ) Drop Dead Diva with my wife. This is preparation as crucial to my football season as my adp and rankings lists are to my drafts. Because once the season starts for real, my wife allows/puts up with/suffers through me watching any and every game on Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night and Saturday during the season. So I'm padding my account with her to make up for all the withdrawals I'll be making through the season.

This year I told my wife I am playing FFB Crush.