[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quinton Patton - Anything to see here?

SecondString

I have thought about this guy a lot for the past couple weeks, thinking that he has a chance to bust out in that offense as a sleeper. I keep dismissing it, telling myself, "nah, little chance as a rookie to make much of an impact", but I keep coming back to him. He went 104-1392-13 last year at La. Tech. There are those who can't believe he fell as far as the 4th round. Great speed, great skill set.

Harbaugh loves the kid. Rookies have a 24-hour waiting period after they are drafted to visit the team's facility and do any football work. Not knowing this, immediately after he was drafted, he bought a ticket to SF to go to camp, paying for it himself. Of course the team would have flown him out there. If he had arrived at the 49ers' team offices when he got there, he would have been ineligible to attend the 49ers' rookie minicamp, having violated that 24-hour period, but he got in touch with them, letting them know he was 20 minutes away.

Harbaugh:

"We didn't do a very good job of communicating that to Quinton before he got to the airport," Harbaugh said. "But the fact that he would buy his own ticket and fly out here, to me, just speaks volumes about him. I mean, to be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That's something I would've done.

I love it. I can't wait."

He broke his finger early in training camp, and while it was healing, was running the drills and catching the passes with one hand. He is completely healed now, and has caught TD passes in each of the last two preseason games.

Given the niners WR situation, word is that he will be given some playing time. With a young gun QB and his kind of talent, I can't help but wonder if there's breakout potential here.

Edited by SecondString

As a 9ers fan, I have watched all the pre-season games and read the local news, etc..., Patton is going to be a great addition to the team this year and hopefully turns into a stud in the next couple seasons. As far as fantasy points go, I would spend a late round pick on him to see what happens, but that's about it. The 49ers are a run first team, and they will be spreading the passing they do around a lot this year with VD, Boldin, the running backs, and Vance McDonald looking very promising, so I don't think there will be enough looks for Patton to break out in a major way.

Here's the way I see it... Boldin was added to this team to give them another receiving option. He's not a #1. When Crabtree got hurt, some bumped Boldin up WAY too high, thinking he would naturally become the #1 option. I'm not sure that's the case. He has a pretty specific skill set and I think his numbers will be no better than they were with Baltimore.

Vernon Davis is a freak but had his best production when Crabtree was relevant. Will Davis' numbers automatically increase based on Crabtree's absence? I'm not so sure. If you want to apply the same theory as last year, he may actually see more doubling and have a harder time putting up numbers.

All this being said, someone has to replace (at least a portion of) Crabtree's numbers. They let A.J. Jenkins walk (or swapped him out for another underachiever) so Patton should at least have a huge chance to make an impact. He is a rookie but is doing non-rookie things which is drawing favor from the coaching staff. I won't say he'll have Crabtree-like numbers but it wouldn't shock me if he put up WR3 type numbers from the outset.

Here's the way I see it... Boldin was added to this team to give them another receiving option. He's not a #1. When Crabtree got hurt, some bumped Boldin up WAY too high, thinking he would naturally become the #1 option. I'm not sure that's the case. He has a pretty specific skill set and I think his numbers will be no better than they were with Baltimore.

Vernon Davis is a freak but had his best production when Crabtree was relevant. Will Davis' numbers automatically increase based on Crabtree's absence? I'm not so sure. If you want to apply the same theory as last year, he may actually see more doubling and have a harder time putting up numbers.

All this being said, someone has to replace (at least a portion of) Crabtree's numbers. They let A.J. Jenkins walk (or swapped him out for another underachiever) so Patton should at least have a huge chance to make an impact. He is a rookie but is doing non-rookie things which is drawing favor from the coaching staff. I won't say he'll have Crabtree-like numbers but it wouldn't shock me if he put up WR3 type numbers from the outset.

boldin- he is a different type of player than crabtree. they are most similar in moving the chains, just go about it differently. crabtree was pretty decent with yards after the catch and boldin is a strong wr who will fight for the ball. his numbers in bal were 65/921/4 last year. i can see slight increases in all three in those categories.

davis- from what i have read, heard, and seen mcdonald's develop is allowing davis to lineup in different positions on the field, so i think his targets (and general stats) increase as well.....

these 2 will be the primary down field targets, the rest is mucked.

I would find it very hard to see a scenario where this guy makes it into a fantasy starting lineup this year. Maybe someone will have to put him in there, but by the time the vets are ready to come back, he'll just be ready to be your #3. The timing won't work for him this year. Very happy to have him stashed on my taxi squad in ATAP.

He seems to have a good quickness and burst to get open, and it works for certain plays the niners like to run. Last year Kyle Williams had that role, but we will see if Patton bumps him. Patton also has been worked in kickoff duties, so if you get yardage or points for returns there's an added benefit there. I would certainly stash him late in a draft to see what happens.