[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This year's Alfred Morris?

kingsofromance

I have a funny feeling it might be Alfonso Smith from the Cardinals. He had a great preseason, looks to currently have the #2 role locked down, and didn't play a snap in the Cardinal's last preseason game. He wasn't hurt. Looked like a "protect a starter" type move. And yes I know Mendenhall is the starter currently but he is always injured and IMO has little/less talent.

Thoughts?

The Cardinals o-line isn't close to being what the Redskins line was last year. So they got Levi Brown(the worst starting left tackle by statistics before his injury) back but Jonathan Cooper, their #1 draft choice stud at guard, broke his leg. There hasn't been any significant line approvement over those two. Sorry, but Alfonso Smith doesn't approach the 1600 yards that Morris did last year.

I wouldn't bet on Alfonso Smith doing much. I watched him play a year ago (made the mistake of drafting Ryan Williams) and saw nothing to make me believe that he will take over the starting job anytime soon. Wasn't very explosive and the one week he was projected to start cause of all the injuries, he didn't even receive a single carry that game and they used other options. Add that with poor field vision (overrunning Cooper's blocking and getting him injured), he will be lucky to receive 2-5 carries a game. As pointed above by other posters, the O-line of the Cardinals is just atrocious this year. Not to mention that there are a handful of running backs in Arizona looking to make the team (Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington) behind Mendenhall. I am not sure what we have seen of Smith to warrant him the clear 2nd running back behind Mendenhall. If you want to bet on anyone in the Cardinals roster having the most upside, bet on Taylor. You've heard it here first.

But my bet for a sneaky season would be Bilal Powell if anyone, but he will approach nowhere near the 1600 yards Morris had last year.

Bernard but he's higher ranked than Morris was. How about Mark Ingram? Not a rookie but still in about the same position.

Roy Helu.......I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Helu get more carries than Alf and take the job after a few games of RBBC. In fact, knowing shanahan like I do, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Helu gets the first carry on opening weekend while showing us Alf all this time and even naming him the starter. Would surprise me one bit.

Truth is Helu looks better the Alf. He is faster, more shifty and has better hands. Just sayin

• Like 1

Roy Helu.......I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Helu get more carries than Alf and take the job after a few games of RBBC. In fact, knowing shanahan like I do, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Helu gets the first carry on opening weekend while showing us Alf all this time and even naming him the starter. Would surprise me one bit.

Truth is Helu looks better the Alf. He is faster, more shifty and has better hands. Just sayin

You obviously don't know Shanahan one bit. No coach will stick with one RB more than Shanny, as long as they perform. If he has a RB that 1, hits the hole hard and doesn't dance, 2, doesn't fumble, 3 doesn't get hurt, and 4 picks up blocks well, he'll ride that pony till he drops.

Since he started in Denver thru last year, these are the carries for his lead back:

175 + 167 RBBC year

167 + 140 RBBC year

none over 100

When he has a back that does the things he wants them to do, and doesn't get hurt, he's committed to that back. It's when they get dinged up, or dance in the backfield or fumble that he turns to someone else. He made fantasy stars out of TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis, Rueben Droughns, Tatum Bell and Alfred Morris. If they do what he wants, they'll get the carries.

• Like 1

You obviously don't know Shanahan one bit. No coach will stick with one RB more than Shanny, as long as they perform. If he has a RB that 1, hits the hole hard and doesn't dance, 2, doesn't fumble, 3 doesn't get hurt, and 4 picks up blocks well, he'll ride that pony till he drops.

When he has a back that does the things he wants them to do, and doesn't get hurt, he's committed to that back. It's when they get dinged up, or dance in the backfield or fumble that he turns to someone else. He made fantasy stars out of TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis, Rueben Droughns, Tatum Bell and Alfred Morris. If they do what he wants, they'll get the carries.

Agreed 100%! Morris is a STUD and will remain as much until the wheels start to fall off. Helu will be nothing more than a breather/pass-catching, handcuff back for now.

Helu looked good in camp but not better than Morris. Helu is a nice 3rd down RB & handcuff, nothing more

Since he started in Denver thru last year, these are the carries for his lead back:

175 + 167 RBBC year

167 + 140 RBBC year

none over 100

Ok I stand corrected............Just pointing out my distrust for Shanahan

• Like 1

If I had to place a bet on any of the rookies breaking into the top 10, I would go with Gio. He is faster and quicker than BJGE plus he has been geting goal line carries, and succeeding, in the pre-season. He is a great catcher out of the backfield and I suspect he will get the lions share of touches starting round week 4, 60-70%

Ok I stand corrected............Just pointing out my distrust for Shanahan

Any chance "Shanahanigans" happened only because the backs he had were just crappy and he rode the hottest hand? Maybe Morris is actually a solid RB? I'm not sold myself but I won't say this isn't an option.

I get were Cowboyz1 is coming from - it is a distrust of Shanahan. If Morris gets hurt and misses a game and Helu comes in and puts up some serious numbers, then we have the Denver fiasco of late all over again. Shanahan trusts his RB if and when they are healthy. Once they miss a game, then all bets are off.

I was burned by Shannahan many times in Denver. Morris is not a RB that is on any of my teams. Just a healthy fear of Shananigans.