[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

desperate measures and dependable brews - week 1

WildTurkey

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a fantasy football addict. I'm also a choco-holic, except with beer. I like to recommend a good beer (in lieu of the "Sunday 6 pack" making a return) and recommend a fantasy play that would require a good beer to consider.

I do this in thehuddle.com forums because I love the site. They don't pay me, but if they would like to, I'd certainly listen. Also, I'm too drunk to set up a site of my own anywhere else.

This week's player (WEEK 1) you'd have to be at least buzzed to consider starting is:

TERRELLE PRYOR - QB, RAIDERS: I play in a pretty highly competitive auction league. Sometimes in this format, you want the guys you want so bad, that you leave positions open to chance, hoping that one acceptable alternative is available late in the night. Well, this year, I got my RB's. I got some decent WR's. What I didn't get was a QB. No worry, this is a deep year and there's lots of available options. I'll wait and bid low for Kaep....uh, no. Someone read that article (or maybe paid attention late last year to who will probably be in the top 3 this year). No sweat, I'll take a risk on RG3. Or Vick. Or hell, play it somewhat lame with Big Ben, Eli or Schaub.

Whoops, we got some noobs screwing up the game. They bid too high on those guys. Crap, forgot to accommodate for the noobs who stack up on 2 QB's in a 1 QB league ... uh oh.

But wait, looks like Vick has slipped down to where I can grab him for a few bucks and coast. Everybody else is set, he's gonna fall to me with a low bid ....

But dude had 1 buck more than me. And he screwed me for the sake of screwing me. The dude is a chess master. He not only had his team strategy planned out, but was noticing what I was doing ... ruh oh. Now what's left? Some Freeman, Cutler and Bradford.....yeesh.

Great, I've got these diamond RB's and I'm going to polish them with my butt rag.....

I hate other dudes fantasy stories as much as you all do, so if you're still tuned in, I'll cut it here. I needed a QB. I could choose a butt rag, but I chose my man TP.

So look, to associate the past to the present, like we all like to do, the consensus is Tim Tebow "sucks" as a pro QB. I dunno, I watched the guy win a bunch of games a couple of years ago. As I recall, he exploited a tough, supposed badass D who weren't ready for his game. And through the course of those games, I had a stacked fantasy team with an injured QB, I had a decent lead in a league, so I picked him up. He did pretty much just as well as my injured QB. He added some rushing yards I wouldn't have gotten from said injured QB. It all worked out pretty well, for me, and for the Broncos, who had more people buying jerseys and getting passionate about the team, than they'd had since ... I dunno, since the prototype chain smokin' notorious low tippin' QB legend they have in the front office was leading the charge. But it just wasn't going to work out, long term, for them. Big f'in deal, what's done is done, it all worked out for my fantasy team in late 2011.

Replace Elway with the zombie owner's son who looks like Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber, and you have the Raiders now with Terrelle Pryor. I sure hope he starts, cause that's who I drafted. C'mon Lloyd, totally redeem yourself, pressure your coach into starting him. He's looked good enough running the ball. He's "a name." That's all da Raidahs need, a name. Put those asses in the seats with "a name." Cause I think he can earn me some fantasy points. He can get me that +6 on a rushing TD. He can get me those bonuses that come with rushing yards. He may get sacked 5 times and throw 5 picks, but dammit I bet he gets 100 rushing yards before Vick, RG3, Manuel, McFadden, or anyone else does. And if he miraculously lives up to his potential, finally (and he can get all the free tats he wants in Oak-town) we're REALLY good to go.

Yep, I'll rollin' with TP.

p.s. Just look at that schedule. I don't see anyone that scares me.

BEER o' the WEEK: Ommegang Abbey Beer (8.2%)

Oh so sweet and slightly brown and seemingly from cave living monk-like folk, but instead from Cooperstown, NY. Which reminds me, I'm still in competition in a fantasy baseball league. Whoops, sorry, but unless I'm in first, football always wins.

This beer goes down too easy. I'll leave it to the pro's at BeerAdvocate to describe it better, but to me, it's sweet, not too sweet, chocolaty but not too chocolaty, but with a big hint of such. A little bitter? Just enough bite for the most jaded of us who have endured the IPA infiltration. Just perfect. And so much cheaper than what a comparable import would run you.

Stretch 4 across a Sunday and you'll be primo to enjoy TP rolling you to victory. God I hope so. Gimme 10 points. No negative. C'mon buddy, TP, you were supposed to be the man. Be the man at the highest level.

http://beeradvocate..../profile/42/142

Edited by WildTurkey

Nice little read. I enjoyed it, and for the beer: I am a HUGH fan of abbey beer. We have an Abbey Ale 7,6% here in Denmark, which is my favorite beer, but goddamn it you get drunk out of your skull every time. 8,2% sounds even better!