[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People who win your leagues

Scorcher

Calculated risks. Last year a guy in my league got AP in the 3rd and beat me in the championship. This year hopefully that "value guy" will be Gronk. I snagged him in the 5th round a week ago. If the draft was today he would have been taken in the 2nd or 3rd IMO. You need a combo of the solid steady guys and hit a big middle round home run or two to win. This year my team will either win the whole thing or finish towards to back of the pack and I wouldn't have it any other way. Got lots of question marks...

Edited by kingsofromance

Last year Morris sat on the WW until his first game. I went back and forth as to whether or not to pick him up before the first game, would have made all the difference. At that point not a risk at all but I just didn't have the vision to make what at the time wasn't a risk at all.

you have to hit those mid-round gems. I've find the sleepers in the later rounds rarely pan out and the high risk guys in rounds 1-3 aren't just worth it that early. Guys that took Dez last year in the 4th or Spiller in the 8th seemed to have won.

Have to take risks on guys like Montee Ball or Gronk this year to win.

• Like 1

When I look at league winners I often see the same thing - proven, dependable players early, a middle round guy they hit on big(Foster in 2010, Doug Martin and Alfred Morris last year, etc.), some nice later round value plays, and savvy use of the waiver wire. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say hitting on a middle round prospective pick and waiver wire use weigh a little more than the other two. It's my personal belief that a mixture of about 75/80% stready and 25/20% risk works really well and generally gets you into the playoffs. However, the strongest team can still be knocked out of the playoffs when its money player craps the bed that week and its opponent's RB goes off for 220 and 3. So there's more than a little luck(usually bad) in winning a championship.

last year I took Martin in the 2nd round because I knew he would not be there when I picked again.....I caught immediate flak for it....

it is moves like that where I win my championships....and also not being afraid to overpay a little bit in a trade to make my team better....you have to be crazy like a fox sometimes...

• Like 1

Its all luck. I carried the best team two years straight in a "buddy" league a couple years ago. Absolutely dominated the regular season. Playoffs come...it all craps out. First year Turner goes down with an ankle injury early. If I started any other guy I would have won. But why would I with Turner being a steady stud that year? Second season Aaron Rodgers gets a concussion and is out. Same thing. Both years I would have won if not for injury.

There is no skill to avoiding in game injuries. Take one of your best players out and chances are your team isn't going to win in the playoffs.

Just try to build up as much good karma as you can so maybe the football gods will shine on you! :tup:

Foster's heart palpitations in Week 16 last year cost me a championship in my main league - lost the final by 1 point. Talk about a bad break.

I find the same owners regularly make the playoffs. Once you get there, it's 90% luck.

Edited by nelsosi
  • Like 1

Preparation and solid drafting helps...looking for value from "risky" picks that fall (AP) and hitting on players with upside (Martin)...and working the waiver wire and hitting on a RB that everyone avoided due to "Shanahan-igans" (sheer dumb luck)...can be a solid recipe for success...so preparation, solid draft, hitting on high risk/reward and a high upside guy, and finding a diamond in the ruff... That's the recipe..oh yeah and a lot of luck!!!!

Will Foster be the next AP? Will Miami's Miller be the next Martin? Will Pittsburgh's Bell be the next Morris? Only time will tell...Don't you just love Fantasy Football!

I've always believed that you can't 'win' your league through the draft, but you can definitely 'lose' it. The real key is those first few weeks of the season - it's a critical time for the waiver wire, as well as making an honest assessment of your teams strengths/weaknesses and addressing those through trades or wire moves.

last year I took Martin in the 2nd round because I knew he would not be there when I picked again.....I caught immediate flak for it....

it is moves like that where I win my championships....and also not being afraid to overpay a little bit in a trade to make my team better....you have to be crazy like a fox sometimes...

This. Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 1