[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A reason to pump the brakes on Eddie Lacy

keggerz

to me, it all comes down to the line. And from what I saw in the preseason game vs SEA, that line still sucks at run blocking. I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa, and I didn't draft Lacy in any of my leagues based on 3 things: the OL, the GB gameplan since Rodgers and McCarthy have been in place, and the number of mouths to feed in the GB offense. This final point is a good one. Although Harris is out, there's still one more guy you guys aren't talking about.

KUHN.

That SOB is going to steal at least 10-12 looks from the goal line just so the GB homers can wipe liquid cheeze off their mugs and scream KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN. Plus, he has apparently already been anointed as the 3rd down back because of his pass protection skills: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/john-kuhn-could-be-go-to-man-on-3rd-downs-b9987460z1-221889711.html. (on a side note, when you have the time, seek out and read the local press).

I love you Eddie, but I just can't go against the damning evidence to the contrary. I wished you'd gone somewhere else.

keg.... you are talking about carries.... could you discuss touches and total yards?

Haven't looked at touches or total yards (beyond the rushing yards I posted for Grant)...I could but it would take a fair amount of time to cull those numbers and I'm going to be up against it to finish my week 1 content...so I'll have to leave everyone to their own devices on how they proceed. :D

Tuvey ranks the Packers OL for run blocking as "C"...but I just don't see how they run the ball much more than they did last year.

They also flipped the guards, are starting Dietrich-Smith at center and starting Barclay at RT. All trend towards better RUN blocking.

Before Bulaga was lost for the year, the guard and tackle flip was laready planned to strengthen the run blocking. Part of the plan since the beginning.

Not to run more, but like you said . . .run more EFFECTIVELY. Lacy can run effectively. Also has very little competition for carries with Harris on IR, Franklin very average, and Starks . . .well . . .is James Starks.

I havent been this high on a Packers RB chances since Ahman Green. Just my 2 cents

to me, it all comes down to the line. And from what I saw in the preseason game vs SEA, that line still sucks at run blocking. I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa, and I didn't draft Lacy in any of my leagues based on 3 things: the OL, the GB gameplan since Rodgers and McCarthy have been in place, and the number of mouths to feed in the GB offense. This final point is a good one. Although Harris is out, there's still one more guy you guys aren't talking about.

When Lacy was in, Harrell was at QB and SEA had no respect for Harrell so they constantly stacked the line with at least 8 in the box. Try 8 in the box with Rodgers at QB and he will burn you.

to me, it all comes down to the line. And from what I saw in the preseason game vs SEA, that line still sucks at run blocking.

I love you Eddie, but I just can't go against the damning evidence to the contrary. I wished you'd gone somewhere else.

Love the fact that you brought up this game! A case of statistics, damn statistics and lies. Aaron Rodgers was out of this game before the end of the 1st quarter. He attempted 7 passes, his backups 27. Wilson attempted 17, his backups 11.

The GB 1st team o-line left when Rodgers did. The Seattle 1st team D was in the game with many starters through the late 3rd quarter. I saw Lacy run hard despite little 2nd and 3rd string oline support. I was hoping this game would destroy his ADP. It didn't to the level I thought it would. Kinda disappointing.

Edited by General Itals

Haven't looked at touches or total yards (beyond the rushing yards I posted for Grant)...I could but it would take a fair amount of time to cull those numbers and I'm going to be up against it to finish my week 1 content...so I'll have to leave everyone to their own devices on how they proceed. :D

i'd like to think that you know where i am going with this.....

I believe the pack hasn't had a relevant RB for because one they haven't had a back worth a crap since Level. However, I believe they will use Lacy often if he is productive because they can't have Rodgers on his back 51 times again. That is a sure way of getting him hurt. No matter how good your O line is, if you don't run the ball at least somewhat effectively teams don't respect it and pin their ears back. They can't have that two years in a row. Lacy looks like a bruiser in the mold of Beast mode and should produce. Would make Rogers even more lethal.

Well they haven't ran worth a damn in a few years anyways, so I see a 1/2 season of tweaking before anything happens that's worth where his adp is. By then will they trust it? I guess we'll see. To those in gb I hope he comes through for you...You need a rb. Could be he's it.

This is pretty simple for me. Facts:

1. A healthy Ryan Grant was a fantasy RB1 in this exact same offense.

2. Eddie Lacy is far more talented than Ryan Grant.

3. Lacy, thanks to attrition, figures to catch (at least a handful) more passes than Grant did.

4. The entire coaching and front office staffs have sworn in blood to commit to the running game this year (yeah, you hear this every offseason, but I think Packers fans would agree that the tenor has been much more serious since we got pummeled by the 49ers).

The upside is clearly there.

As mentioned, the Packers still had 3 serviceable receivers when the injury bug hit last year. If it hits the receivers again, they may have to rely on the running game. Plus they had not had that talent at RB for a good while now.

Really depends on what you drafted him for. If you're expecting him to be a RB1 you'll be disappointed I think. But if you drafted him to be a RB3/Flex, or maybe an RB2 in a deep league, I think he can deliver that -- 1,000 & 10 seems very attainable if he stays healthy, even without a dramatic shift in the Packers style.

2. Eddie Lacy is far more talented than Ryan Grant.

NOW we can start pumping the brakes. This is the biggest risk, IMO. Lacy ran behind a beastly O-line in Alabama, and looked ordinary at times. He's a pounder, a thumper, but he doesn't have much wiggle and he's not taking many to the house outside 20 yards. We don't know how good he can make himself, and we already know GB's line isn't going to do it for him like Alabama's did.

I'm not worried about GB's overall run plan, because they will run 400+ times in any circumstance, so it becomes a matter of how many of those Lacy gets. If he becomes the feature, he could pull off 1200/10. If the talent doesn't play out, however, we're seeing Cedric Benson 2.0 here. Franklin can play, he was being talked about as a potential 2nd rounder at one point, and if Lacy isn't leaning toward special Franklin will get a shot.

I like his upside, but the ADP doesn't match up with the risk for me.

• Like 1

NOW we can start pumping the brakes. This is the biggest risk, IMO. Lacy ran behind a beastly O-line in Alabama, and looked ordinary at times. He's a pounder, a thumper, but he doesn't have much wiggle and he's not taking many to the house outside 20 yards. We don't know how good he can make himself, and we already know GB's line isn't going to do it for him like Alabama's did.

I'm not worried about GB's overall run plan, because they will run 400+ times in any circumstance, so it becomes a matter of how many of those Lacy gets. If he becomes the feature, he could pull off 1200/10. If the talent doesn't play out, however, we're seeing Cedric Benson 2.0 here. Franklin can play, he was being talked about as a potential 2nd rounder at one point, and if Lacy isn't leaning toward special Franklin will get a shot.

FYi Franklin looked extremely poor in training camp, and was in danger of not making the squad up until a few weeks ago when Dujuan Harris went on IR. Not as much of a threat as you think . . . .

Benson 2.0 is a fine flex play, especially if he gets goal line carries. As a "thumper" that is very likely. Plus unike Benson, Lacy can catch the ball, which wont teleghraph the play calling as much.

Just :2cents:

Benson 2.0 is a fine flex play, especially if he gets goal line carries. As a "thumper" that is very likely. Plus unike Benson, Lacy can catch the ball, which wont teleghraph the play calling as much.

Just :2cents:

The 2.0 reference was intended to mean same result, different jersey. Bad reference on my part.

I agree Lacy could turn out well, I don't dislike the guy's potential, but he's not that special, make things happen talent you'd like to see. I said pump the brakes, not stand on them with both feet :shades: . I'd love him on my roster, just not at the price it takes right now.

Seriously? One player was was outplayed at Notre Dame by Julius Jones and Darius Walker, went undrafted, and then had a couple of good years in a very friendly, zone-blocking offense. Grant was tough and fast, but when scouts talk about "stiff hips" and "one-cut, straight-line guy," they're thinking about Ryan Grant pinballing through the A-gap.

Lacy "looked ordinary at times"? Yeah, I'll give you that. Every running back occasionally does. Lacy is still bigger, stronger, more creative, and more instinctive than Grant. He also has better stop-start ability and lateral quickness. The only thing Grant has on Lacy is long speed. Lacy would have been a first-rounder if it weren't for the uncertainty of his toe fusion surgery (which has since been deemed fairly minor).

Meanwhile, the Packers O-line will be much better at run blocking this year. Almost every offense-related decision in the last seven months has been made with better run blocking in mind.

I see a big, talented runner with no competition for touches in an offense that has provided top-10 fantasy RB numbers in the past...in the late third or early 4th round. If there are other players in that ADP area with MORE upside and/or LESS risk, please list them for me.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead