[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty question - opinions on PS options

Bronco Billy

Looking for feedback from dynasty/salary cap league guys on how you evaluate and weight potential on younger players you are rostering on your Practice Squad.

Let's create a hypothetical scenario. You have one Practice Squad slot to fill. You have 3 players you are considering for the slot. The players' characteristics are as follows:

Player 1: solid NFL skill set but in a situation where they most probably will have to share workload for an extended period if they can move up to the starting lineup. The kid has great character and attitude, and appears mentally fully capable of handling the rigors of the NFL.

Player 2: Strong skill set and will likely inherent a position where he will be the primary player provided he can take the job. Appears to be struggling mentally with the complexity and speed of the NFL and it is questionable if he can catch up. If he finally gets it he'll start and put up credible low end 1/upper 2 FF numbers at his position.

Player 3: Physically superior athlete who is likely to dominate his position if he can figure out how to be a pro, but has significant character flaws and attitude issues that along with the complexity of the NFL have prevented him from gaining any traction on the depth chart, where he is mired near the bottom at his position.

Given these scenarios, which guy do you choose to fill the open slot and why?

Edited by Bronco Billy

You can't answer that question unless you describe your team (active roster and other PS roster guys) and the league you play in. At least I can't anyways.

If I am in a trade-heavy league where I know that I can flip a guy if he pans out, I am more likely to go with the safer bet simply because I know that I can cash in on value. That said, these leagues are usually trade-heavy because of scarcity of talent because they are deep so usually I won't have the option of who I want for a PS player very often.

On a team note, if the players I am evaluating are in an area of strength for my team, I am going to gamble on the guy with the highest ceiling because he has a better shot of improving my team. If it is in an area of weakness, I am more likely to take the safest player with maybe less upside to get a better chance of getting a contributor.

Finally, on relative position note, if I am a contender, I am likely choosing the player who I think has a quicker path to playing time in case an injury strikes and I need points right now. However, if I am rebuilding, I am more amenable to taking a player that I may need to wait longer on.

Not #3. More and more those guys aren't lasting, and if they do they aren't lasting long enough to pay off. Coaches pretty much only care about what happens between the stripes, but they aren't getting those chances any more. Can you imagine someone drafting Lawrence Phillips today?

If it's a dynasty I'm shooting for upside. You'll have multiple chances to draft a kid that turns into Woodhead, but if Jonathan Franklin goes for 100 yards in week 1 it's going to take a crowbar to ever even have a trade discussion about him. Coaches can't teach speed, or height, or the ability to read a defense. They can teach pass block assignments, how to adapt to a zone-blocking stick your foot in the ground and go, and how to run better timing routes. Those can be learned and improved, it happens all the time. Churning out 10 BJGE types will pay out less than hitting that Jamaal Charles lightning in a bottle.

Names would help, but naturally you're in a league with opponents here so you doing the cloak and dagger thing, but generally I'm shooting for Andre Ellington over Phillip Tanner.

TFord makes a solid point, the state of the franchise can have a heavy impact on the decision, but in the overall big picture, I roll with upside.

Another thing to take into consideration before answering is how your Taxi Squad works ?

In my two big money Dynasty Leagues you can add or remove a player at anytime , but if a player remains on your taxi squad for more than two regular season games he is stuck there for the rest of the season.

The reason for allowing us to add & promote so easily is so we can stash a player during a bye week.

We are using small rosters for 14 team dynasty leagues (21)

So I would never stash a player if I have a team that I believe makes the playoffs if I thought he could contribute if I get hit with an injury

You can't answer that question unless you describe your team (active roster and other PS roster guys) and the league you play in. At least I can't anyways.

If I am in a trade-heavy league where I know that I can flip a guy if he pans out, I am more likely to go with the safer bet simply because I know that I can cash in on value. That said, these leagues are usually trade-heavy because of scarcity of talent because they are deep so usually I won't have the option of who I want for a PS player very often.

On a team note, if the players I am evaluating are in an area of strength for my team, I am going to gamble on the guy with the highest ceiling because he has a better shot of improving my team. If it is in an area of weakness, I am more likely to take the safest player with maybe less upside to get a better chance of getting a contributor.

Finally, on relative position note, if I am a contender, I am likely choosing the player who I think has a quicker path to playing time in case an injury strikes and I need points right now. However, if I am rebuilding, I am more amenable to taking a player that I may need to wait longer on.

well said