[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weekly rankings

SecondString

Yeah I know but there are sites out there that give good advice for free with good weekly rankings.

No there isn't. There are sites out there that give advice for free with weekly rankings.

• Like 1

When buying an appliance, do you scour the internet for hours on the pros and cons? I am sure you can find all sorts of lists and opinions. Everyone is always eager to give you free advice. And I am sure you can find an opinion to fit your own.

Or do you go to Consumer Reports and buy the info before you put large money down on a new purchase.

I choose to pay for quality info. Its unbiased and trusted due to my prior successes.

Edited by Joessfl

I choose to pay for quality info. Its unbiased and trusted due to my prior successes.

I will say only this:

My main league 2002-2008: 1 championship

Joined the Huddle 2009

My main league 2009-2012: 3 championships

I don't have the skill or time to research like I should - these guys have steered me right so far.

When buying an appliance, do you scour the internet for hours on the pros and cons? I am sure you can find all sorts of lists and opinions. Everyone is always eager to give you free advice. And I am sure you can find an opinion to fit your own.

Or do you go to Consumer Reports and buy the info before you put large money down on a new purchase.

Poor analogy imo...consumer reports gets paid to hype up certain merchandise. ..I have found cnet to be more accurate in my findings but the huddle is the only fantasy advice site that I frequent and while I pay for content I don't take everything as gospel but rather as a strong resource to help me funnel a bunch of info quickly

Poor analogy imo...consumer reports gets paid to hype up certain merchandise. ..I have found cnet to be more accurate in my findings but the huddle is the only fantasy advice site that I frequent and while I pay for content I don't take everything as gospel but rather as a strong resource to help me funnel a bunch of info quickly

What do you mean they get paid to hype up certain merchandise?

One article I just found. :reporter:

"Consumer Reports is owned by the not-for-profit Consumers Union, and it jealously guards its credibility. CR buys all the vehicles it tests to ensure that they are not OEM-fettled for flattering performance, and refuses to allow its awards to appear in manufacturer advertising. As head of testing David Champion puts it to the WSJ,

We do not want to be beholden to the manufacturers in any way. We don’t want to be seen as selling our names to manufacturers. The same can not be said for its doppelganger, Consumers Digest."

from http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/05/the-truth-about-consumers-digest/

and CR own description...

"Consumers Union (CU) is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization, whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers. CU publishes Consumer Reports and ConsumerReports.org in addition to two newsletters, Consumer Reports on Health and Consumer Reports Money Adviser with combined subscriptions of more than 7 million. Consumers Union also has more than 500,000 online activists who help work to change legislation and the marketplace in favor of the consumer interest. Since its founding in 1936, Consumers Union has never taken any advertising or freebies of any kind. The organization generates more than $160 million in revenue and a staff of more than 500 work at either CU’s 50 state-of-the-art labs in Yonkers, NY; its 327-acre auto test facility in East Haddam, CT.; or the three advocacy offices in Washington DC, Austin, TX, and San Francisco, CA."

The manufacturers....I always see them hyping up tvs that have the highest failure rates and then saying not to get the protection agreement. With the way tv's are made today you are a fool if you don't protect your investment...

Actually the extended warranties are almost pure profit for the store. They are set for when the TV is least likely to break down, and if it does break, the language in the warranty makes it very likely that the store can exploit a loophole written in it so they don't have to pay. This is why the stores are very aggressive is trying to make you buy the extended warranty.
  • Like 4

No there isn't. There are sites out there that give advice for free with weekly rankings.

I joined these forums in 2004, been a paid Huddler since before that. I like DMD too much to say anything bad about this site. But the crap that went down on these forums..that ive said forever should be for paid members only..pissed me off enough that I wont pay for FF info anymore. Ventured out and found a few free sites this yr. Found one who"s cheatsheets I could live with..I make my own decisions anyway.. just need a base to start with/adjust to my liking. And I like my 4 teams that I drafted this season as much as I ever did. We'll see..

Relatively short term insurance that never covers the true period of when it will break.

Plus, they never seem to work out in my favor. One time i bought one for a large 28 inch TUBE tv. Dat bitch was heavy to get into my apt back then. 2 year and 1 month later it died. Great, I whip out my extended warranty. No inhouse visit. Woohoo! I had to get someone to help me move it out, bring it into Circuit city. 3 months later Voila! A fixed TV for free. $%%#%^# and ^*(!

Story 2. I just bought something relatively small dollars. A camera. They wanted me to get 2 years of protection for $30 bucks? That is really 1 year for $30 over the 1 year manufacturers me thinks.

There is so much small print in those contracts, I say screw that.

Actually the extended warranties are almost pure profit for the store. They are set for when the TV is least likely to break down, and if it does break, the language in the warranty makes it very likely that the store can exploit a loophole written in it so they don't have to pay. This is why the stores are very aggressive is trying to make you buy the extended warranty.

The best thing to do is put the payments you would make on an extended warranty into a savings account; if something breaks you have the money. If nothing breaks you have the money.

• Like 2

This was true....about 10 years ago before everythong was pretty much being made out of china....before that it did not pay off....I know all about it being pure profit for the store and I have had to use my insurance on 3 different tv sets...

Relatively short term insurance that never covers the true period of when it will break.

Plus, they never seem to work out in my favor. One time i bought one for a large 28 inch TUBE tv. Dat bitch was heavy to get into my apt back then. 2 year and 1 month later it died. Great, I whip out my extended warranty. No inhouse visit. Woohoo! I had to get someone to help me move it out, bring it into Circuit city. 3 months later Voila! A fixed TV for free. $%%#%^# and ^*(!

Story 2. I just bought something relatively small dollars. A camera. They wanted me to get 2 years of protection for $30 bucks? That is really 1 year for $30 over the 1 year manufacturers me thinks.

There is so much small print in those contracts, I say screw that.

I guess it depends on who you get your protection from....costco and sears offer amazing in home protection....