[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Thomas

Hat Trick

I like Thomas but if you have another top option at TE you have to sell HIGH, sell very, very high!

Not too sure I agree with this. I own him in 3 dynasty leagues, have held in all three since acquiring him in the rookie drafts, and am definitely not selling. I think he is morphing into one of those top options at TE. In a mandatory TE league I see him as a very valuable commodity for an extended period. In a graduated ppr league like 2 of them, even moreso since I see him as a core member of the DEN which looks to be putting up big numbers and has the numbers at other positions where he can't be schemed out by the D.

Not too sure I agree with this. I own him in 3 dynasty leagues, have held in all three since acquiring him in the rookie drafts, and am definitely not selling. I think he is morphing into one of those top options at TE. In a mandatory TE league I see him as a very valuable commodity for an extended period. In a graduated ppr league like 2 of them, even moreso since I see him as a core member of the DEN which looks to be putting up big numbers and has the numbers at other positions where he can't be schemed out by the D.

i clarified redraft in a follow up post

Sell high. From what I observed, Thomas is a subpar blocker and the way Manning was hit last night, I'm sure they'll change up the gameplan to include a better pass blocking scheme. The guy was wide open as the ravens obviously did not gameplan for him (not sure what they game planned for..). He could easily be a top 10 TE going fwd, but if I could get a RB2 or WR2 with upside, I'd take that trade in a heartbeat assuming you have a decent option at TE. Just my 2 cents.

Sell high. From what I observed, Thomas is a subpar blocker and the way Manning was hit last night, I'm sure they'll change up the gameplan to include a better pass blocking scheme. The guy was wide open as the ravens obviously did not gameplan for him (not sure what they game planned for..). He could easily be a top 10 TE going fwd, but if I could get a RB2 or WR2 with upside, I'd take that trade in a heartbeat assuming you have a decent option at TE. Just my 2 cents.

A legit top 10 TE in TE mandatory ppr leagues can have better value than RB2s and WR2s - sometimes much better value.

I didn't see that in what I watched of the game. Pressure couldn't have been too bad for him to have 7 touchdowns with no turnovers against the likes of Suggs and Dumervil. Manning has always made heavy use of his tight ends. He even made the undersized Tamme into a sensation for a time a few years back. Despite that he has never had a tight end with the athleticism of Thomas, best he's had is Dallas Clark. Dressen and Tamme will become obsolete and only see the field in two tight end sets or to spell Thomas. I say Thomas finishes as a top 5 TE this season.

I picked him up last Saturday as a free agent. and for those of you that had the presence of mind to do the same stop beating yourself up because you didn't start him. For those that did " I tip my hat to you" After Thursday night everyone in your league was smacking their heads wondering how on earth you saw something in a player that they didn't. You have added depth at TE or a solid bargaining chip. It's one less worry when it comes to your waiver wire priority come early next week and I'm certain there will be a good handful of players you will still want to grab.

I think he has a strong game once every 3 or 4 weeks....you have to keep in mind what kind of game this was and that the running game wasn't a factor...

Other than Welker and Demaryius the rest of them will be a crapshoot...I would expect 2-5 td's a game from Manning and usually in the 2-3 range which makes me lean more towards Welker and Demaryius...Julius is a nice addition to your team if you are weak at TE and don't mind a few weeks where he puts up about 7 pts in a ppr and then blows up for 100+ and a TD or two...which is something that the majority of the TE's in the NFL are incapable of..

But that is my take...I could be wrong and Peyton averages 3 or 4 TD's a game and Julius explodes for every other game...

Edited by Avernus

I think Avernus and kingsofromance are both about right. Multiple TD pass-focused offense, hard to predict who'll catch them every week. Most valuable player is Manning, like Brees is with the Saints. I love Julius Thomas (pats self on back for starting him). My biggest worry is his injury history but I wont go so far as to call him injury prone. I think he'll be a top five TE if he stays healthy.

/knocks on wood

Julius Thomas does things other people can't in that offense. I'd bet he will be more 'on' than off this season. End of the year 3rd ranked TE behind Gronk #1 and Graham #2. I'm all in on Thomas. And yes even if Gronk misses another game he will end up #1 overall. IMHO

Greg Olsen will finish the year ahead of Julius Thomas in terms of fantasy production.