[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver's Schedule if they put up 7 on Baltimore, what happens...

Cowboyz1

when he plays Oak, San Diego, Jacksonville etc......

Will Manning be able to do what he did tonight again this season? Assuming Baltimore has pretty good corners and had a poor night. What happens when he plays a team like Oakland that has no where near the players that Baltimore has.

7 touchdowns, hasn't been done since 1969 by some guy named Joe Kapp. Manning missed on some throws also.

So will manning get 6 or more touchdowns again this season? I say no. Only because I think one of the RBl's will get one or two to keep it from happening.

Edited by Cowboyz1

I think Manning is going to try to hit that 50 TD mark Brady got to. I don't think they will run it up passing as much as they did last night, but I can see scoring at a very high clip for the Broncos all year. Expect the RBs to get some love soon as they will have to have some running game come playoff time.

Since Manning doen't have much in the way of RBs, I think he has no choice but to throw, throw and throw. I also think this was more a statement game so, while Manning will have good games, I don't see this happening again (except maybe against Oakland) Also, that last TD was more of a fluk. It was a short pass to DT who just happened to break for 78 yards.

That was insane, I doubt he does it again but until teams figure out how to stop the passing game I could see 3-4 TDs a game.

Not only was Baltimores defense having problems, but their offense had far too many 3 and outs. With any high powered offense, half the battle is keeping them off the field with long drives by your offense. Baltimore failed miserably there, especially in the second half.

As for that last TD being a fluke, if you've players like Dem Thomas much, that is not that rare or a fluke. Turning a 10 yard pass into a 50+ yard TD is part of his game.

PS Their second half schedule is very favorable, with 5 games in the division and two tougher ones at Pats and at Texans.

Manning said after the game that he felt he had to keep scoring because he wasn't comfortable with Flacco sitting on the other side. I think if Trevathan scores on that INT DEN would have pull in its horns and run the ball the rest of the way. That dumb ass fumble on the return and the Ravens' quick strike after that motivated the ensuing barrage.

I don't think you'll see weaker teams spook Manning like that, and if DEN gets up by 20+ in the second half on them I get the feeling we will see lot of Ball. So no, I wouldn't expect DEN to hang 8 or more TDs on anyone this year.

First, this isn't the same BAL defense that we are used to watching. I expect them to be close to average this year... maybe a few big games at home, but likely a couple more stinkers on the road as well. To say that they're a shell of their former selves might be overstating it a bit, but it's not that far off.

Second, Flacco's weapons are limited. Just like the defense has changed, the offense has as well. Add in the fact that Dickson dropped a bunch, and they simply didn't have the arsenal to keep up. When Brandon Stokley is your 3rd or 4th option in the passing game, and it's 2013, you know you're a bit thin on offense.

Lastly, Denver didn't exactly run up the score. It was 42-24 when, like someone else mentioned, D. Thomas turned a short pass into an 80-yard TD. Prior to that score, BAL was still within striking distance, at least in theory. Sure, it might have been a "revenge" game, in the sense that Peyton wanted to win convincingly, but it's not like they ran up the score in a way that would be considered unsportsmanlike.

I think Manning is in for a big year (50 TD's and/or 5000 yards may be possible), but he's not going to throw 5+ TD's more than a couple of times, if I had to guess. There will be some rushing scores mixed in, especially as they become more comfortable with Ball (and he improves on pass protection), and there will be some games where Peyton struggles. If he averages 3.1 TD's per game, he'll be at 50, so I would expect just as many games where he only throws 1-2 TD's, as I would expect games with 5+. He may not throw six or more the rest of the season. Last night was very rare. I'm not saying he can't/won't do that again, but the odds are stacked heavily against that happening.

My second point (about Flacco and the BAL offense) is simply this. Last night should have been more of a blowout, earlier than it actually was. Every time Baltimore failed to convert, or had a three-and-out, it put the ball back in Peyton's hands. But, Baltimore caught a couple of huge breaks (the Welker fumble and the Trevathon brain-fart) that helped keep them in the game, at least on paper. Had those things not happened, there's no way Manning throws 7 TD's. But, they did happen, which caused Denver to have to keep their foot on the gas pedal. Again, last night was a very unusual game/situation. The chances of something like that happening again are slim... I'd put it at 100/1 odds, if that.

Both of Welkers TDs were from within the 5 yard and they didn't even try running it once (correct me if I am wrong). For sure that is not going to continue the entire season.

You don't call off the dogs in the NFL. At 42-24 that's only three scores. With 11 minutes left in the game that's not even remotely difficult to pull off. You keep going full speed at that point. That's all Manning did. This got so out of hand because the Baltimore offense couldn't keep the ball. Three and out, quick possessions, turnovers. Manning had 14 possessions, not even counting the kneel-down - yeah, he's going to score 7 times. Add in some defensive ineptitude, the worst safety in the league, and a worn-down defense, and this happens.

If you can't run the ball, you can't keep your defense off the field and fresh. If your D gets gassed, Manning will eviscerate them.

Edited by flemingd

Buy low on Ball

I agree, but you have to buy really low. Ball did not look good. Any decently quick RB should have gotten in the endzone on that stretch play he got inside the 5. He got run down from behind by a defender coming from the inside.

Personally, I think it was more a function of rookie jitters and hesitation than a lack of athleticism. Whatever the reason, he looked god aweful on that play, which was his biggest opportunity of the evening.

I agree, but you have to buy really low. Ball did not look good. Any decently quick RB should have gotten in the endzone on that stretch play he got inside the 5. He got run down from behind by a defender coming from the inside.

Personally, I think it was more a function of rookie jitters and hesitation than a lack of athleticism. Whatever the reason, he looked god aweful on that play, which was his biggest opportunity of the evening.

They played 2 games on Thursday? Because I sure didn't see the play you described.

I actually saw a couple of decent runs by Ball in his limited carries.

He's by far the most talented of the 3 backs in my opionion and will get the lions share of carries once he gets a few games under his belt.

I also doubt we'll see any more 7 TD games this year from DEN....heck 7 TDs can get 3 wins in that division.

It was at about 1130 eastern time when it happened. I was txting with a friend and his slowness was noted on that play right then. I will try to find it on my DVR of the game and cite game clock.

Don't bother. Your sarcasm meter is obviously in the shop. The intent of my post was to convey that you had no clue what you are talking about when you interpreted the play you are referring to.

Plain enough for you?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Okay...7 mins left in the 3rd. My bad...it wasnt a stretch play. It was an inside run that the ravens stuffed. Ball broke it to the outside with no blockers and got a few yards.

When I saw it live I remember thinking "damn, he should have punched that in". On second look, he actually made something out of nothing by gaining a couple yards. He was run down by Jimmy Smith, who should have been blocked by Demaryius. He makes that block and Ball scores.

The next play was Deckers dropped td which was followed by Welkers second td.

Don't bother. Your sarcasm meter is obviously in the shop. The intent of my post was to convey that you had no clue what you are talking about when you interpreted the play you are referring to.

Plain enough for you?

Yes. Your jackassery is very apparent.

Ball didnt look as bad as I initially thought. But if he was anything special in terms of talent he would have gotten in the end zone. As a good but not great back he got a couple yards.

Okay...7 mins left in the 3rd. My bad...it wasnt a stretch play. It was an inside run that the ravens stuffed. Ball broke it to the outside with no blockers and got a few yards.

When I saw it live I remember thinking "damn, he should have punched that in". On second look, he actually made something out of nothing by gaining a couple yards. He was run down by Jimmy Smith, who should have been blocked by Demaryius. He makes that block and Ball scores.

The next play was Deckers dropped td which was followed by Welkers second td.

Thank you. Now you're describing the play I saw. Play was designed off tackle left and BAL stoned the play at the point of attack. Ball got to the designed hole, saw it closed, and bounced outside with 2 BAL defenders with superior angles out there. Ball starts to extend, dips his shoulder hard feigning a cut upfield, and then accelerates to the sideline where the outside DB who initially had him dead on the angle finally catches up after bring frozen by the deke. That's 4 yards that Ball got all by himself, two with the bounce and an additional two with the strong fake. It also extended the drive where he then helped seal the edge on Manning's roll right that allowed the TD to a wide open Welker.

Yes. Your jackassery is very apparent.

That happens when guys either completely misunderstand a play or fabricate stuff in an effort to prove a point that the facts show to be just the opposite.

To your credit, you admitted your mistake and put forth a much more accurate account of the play you introduced on an effort to slam Ball.

Ball may not be a starting caliber RB. I do happen to think he will be. But putting forth an egregiously erroneous assessment of a play and then use that to gash the player you brought into question is going to draw some reaction.