[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Before you start to whine about the offsetting calls in the Niner game

detlef

Realize that, before they botched that one, they botched who should have gotten the 2nd flag between Staley and Matthews. I was thinking that from the outset and was reminded of it on Mike and Mike this morning.

If a LB tackles your QB around the neck out of bounds, the OT should have every right to get in that dude's face. Then, if that same d-bag who said before the game how they needed to hit your QB has to resort to a late hit to do so, then takes not one but two swings at the OT who is merely doing his job by standing up for his QB, that sackless chives deserves a 2nd flag and, perhaps, an early shower.

The call I don't get is the late hit called against Lavonte David on Geno Smith. That was terrible, and changed the outcome of the game.

I actually tend to agree. Mind you, I see how that call could have been made, so I don't think it was a really bad call or anything. But everyone is going on and on about what a bonehead play it was, and dude was just barely stepping out of bounds.

Realize that, before they botched that one, they botched who should have gotten the 2nd flag between Staley and Matthews. I was thinking that from the outset and was reminded of it on Mike and Mike this morning.

If a LB tackles your QB around the neck out of bounds, the OT should have every right to get in that dude's face. Then, if that same d-bag who said before the game how they needed to hit your QB has to resort to a late hit to do so, then takes not one but two swings at the OT who is merely doing his job by standing up for his QB, that sackless chives deserves a 2nd flag and, perhaps, an early shower.

My initial reaction was that somebody was going to get tossed, because it looked like punches were thrown. Didn't really see punches on the replay (during the game)... it looked more like Matthews was pushing/twisting Staley's face mask. But, I also only saw one brief replay, and haven't seen any replays/highlights since... didn't watch any game recaps, SportsCenter, or Mike & Mike, etc. After sitting and watching football all day (and my wife giving me a hard time), I figured I had better switch it up (so I watched Boardwalk Empire instead). :lol:

Here's what I have always had a problem with... The NFL referees too often treat this type of situation in a similar fashion to what the NBA does. Give the players involved a double-technical foul (or, in this case, offsetting personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties), and move on. Granted, there is a time and a place for that type of call (where both players are equally to blame), but this was probably not one of them. Matthews hit Kap late (and got a flag). Staley stood up for Kap by getting in Matthews' face. If they want to flag him for that, fine, but then flag Matthews (again) for the retaliation (and arguably throwing a punch, or at the very least, grabbing/twisting the guys face mask). Instead of offsetting calls that end in no net result (which is beyond weak), why not offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties, but still enforce the original late hit call? Or can't they do that, for some reason?

It's the equivalent of somebody getting decked (not a punch, but a cheap foul) in the NBA, and then both players getting in each others' faces afterwards. Shouldn't be a double-technical, if it's clear who instigated the chaos. Give them double T's for the jawing back and forth, but the guy who cheap-shotted the other player to begin with should receive a second one. I know, I know... That would result in said player being thrown out. Well, then maybe he should not have decked the other guy to begin with. Or, they should revisit the rule on what disqualifies a player, as well. Either way, it's weak to give players equal fouls/penalties, when their actions were nowhere near equal in severity.

My initial reaction was that somebody was going to get tossed, because it looked like punches were thrown. Didn't really see punches on the replay (during the game)... it looked more like Matthews was pushing/twisting Staley's face mask. But, I also only saw one brief replay, and haven't seen any replays/highlights since... didn't watch any game recaps, SportsCenter, or Mike & Mike, etc. After sitting and watching football all day (and my wife giving me a hard time), I figured I had better switch it up (so I watched Boardwalk Empire instead). :lol:

Here's what I have always had a problem with... The NFL referees too often treat this type of situation in a similar fashion to what the NBA does. Give the players involved a double-technical foul (or, in this case, offsetting personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties), and move on. Granted, there is a time and a place for that type of call (where both players are equally to blame), but this was probably not one of them. Matthews hit Kap late (and got a flag). Staley stood up for Kap by getting in Matthews' face. If they want to flag him for that, fine, but then flag Matthews (again) for the retaliation (and arguably throwing a punch, or at the very least, grabbing/twisting the guys face mask). Instead of offsetting calls that end in no net result (which is beyond weak), why not offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties, but still enforce the original late hit call? Or can't they do that, for some reason?

It's the equivalent of somebody getting decked (not a punch, but a cheap foul) in the NBA, and then both players getting in each others' faces afterwards. Shouldn't be a double-technical, if it's clear who instigated the chaos. Give them double T's for the jawing back and forth, but the guy who cheap-shotted the other player to begin with should receive a second one. I know, I know... That would result in said player being thrown out. Well, then maybe he should not have decked the other guy to begin with. Or, they should revisit the rule on what disqualifies a player, as well. Either way, it's weak to give players equal fouls/penalties, when their actions were nowhere near equal in severity.

Unfortunately, I think, as long as both sides do something wrong, they just cancel out even if one side has more infractions. I could be wrong about this, but I think I've seen it go down that way. Mind you, if that is, in fact, how it works, it's stupid for the exact reasons you give.

I am not saying you are right or wrong that Clay should have gotten another flag for his battle with Staley, but that is an official judgment call. Those things happen. The mess up on the replay of the down is a rule mistake. Officials should not be making rule mistakes like that. We can debate whether or not another flag should have been thrown on Clay for sure, but that is a judgment call.

Two different things IMO. WAY worse to flat out mess up a rule as a crew of officials IMO.

• Like 1

Your whole premise became moot when you justified Staley's actions by saying it was his "right" to protect his qb. He went after Matthews. And unless you have the audio from the scrum you really can't say whether or not he did anything to deserve an unsportsmanlike call himself either.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 2

Audio? Like if he said any bad words? Honestly? Say there's a LB whose been talking earlier that week about hitting your QB. Then he collars him out of bounds, and nobody from the O-line goes over to get in his face? I know five guys who are going to get an earful from their coach.

I'm sure Staley had some pretty harsh words for Matthews so lets just assume the worst. Are you saying that's worth a flag more than a second on the guy who started the whole mess with the late hit then taking two swings at him?

I suspect if it were not the QB of your team you never would have even brought it up, or made such a big deal out of it.

BTW I did read this yesterday

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/09/09/nfl-staley-shouldnt-have-been-flagged-for-grabbing-matthews/

Would have been nice for the NFL official to explain WHY Staley should not have been flagged. Otherwise I guess you're right, if a player hits my QB late, I have a right to get in his face and cannot be flagged for that.

It also mentions Staley cursing him out. And yes, depending on what kind of words are said to another player, or even to an official, I think that can justify an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Also quotes a couple of SF players (including Staley) who respect Clay Matthews and don't think he was trying to hurt their QB.

Maybe the punishment should fit the crime. Offsetting penalties on the scrum, and the niners are awarded one free late hit on aaron rodgers. Bet that would keep the packers d from playing dirty.

So now a late hit is playing dirty. :shocking: Read the comments from Staley in the article I linked above, he doesn't think Mathews was playing dirty or trying to hurt Kaep. Its amazing how fans are so out of touch with reality. Next thing you know tackling and intercepting passes will be considered dirty and underhanded.

Maybe players shouldn't retaliate because it is dumb and the one doing it is often penalized when the first person isn't. Like DBag Jackson last night, his coach finally sat him down because he couldn't stop getting in the Deangelo Halls face after that one hit.

Well, there you go....

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday evening that NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino looked at the tape from the game and concluded Staley was wrongly penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct Sunday

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23574145/nfl-49ers-ol-joe-staley-mistakenly-penalized-against-packers

I don't really have a problem with Staley getting a flag there (as he did confront an opposing player out of bounds and after the play) but Matthews should have definitely gotten one, too, for the same. No way that should have been an offsetting situation as Matthews hit Kaepernick late AND was in Staley's face as much (if not more) than Staley was in his. Either two flags on Matthews and one on Staley or just the one on Matthews and the scrum is a wash. My $0.02...

Jesus Christ. 49er fans whining even when the refs wrongly give them an advantage and they win.

What do you expect? Just like Harbaugh. To be perfectly honest, methinks they threw two flags to make a statement that they weren't going to tolerate much from either team. Those refs knew the situation going in, and they were just taking control early. Edited by Tripleshot

Unfortunately, I think, as long as both sides do something wrong, they just cancel out even if one side has more infractions. I could be wrong about this, but I think I've seen it go down that way. Mind you, if that is, in fact, how it works, it's stupid for the exact reasons you give.

I think you need more commas.

Oh, and the refs are morans.

Well, there you go....

http://www.cbssports...against-packers

Pretty much the same story as the link I posted, and they did nothing to explain why Staley shouldn't have been flagged. (Apparently the official in contact saw/heard something worth throwing a flag, but not some suit is saying that was a mistake.) I stil the NFL is trying to deflect some blame for the bad enforcement of the penalty. They're also setting a bad precedent, because without an explanation teams are going to take this as an endorsement of going after another player when they do something wrong.

Did he have anything to say about the missed face mask penalty against Lacey in the first quarter also?

The only people who seem to give a damn about this are 49er fans. GB gave SF a very tough game in its home opener, and the defense looks a hell of a lot better than the Swiss cheese they had out there last year. When the starting secondary is back in place GB is looking like they belong right at or near the top of the list in the NFC.

I don't get it. Was this thread whining about a non existent pre-emptive whine?

Odd, you posted something to this effect twice in this thread, yet also posted a link on FB about how the refs who messed up the loss of down bit got downgraded.