[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barbershop Column

Chicago Beers

Sally: The fish is talking.

The Cat: Well, sure, he can talk. But is he saying anything? No, not really.

Ok, thats silly, but here is my feedback if I may:

The article tries to be too cute. It has inside jokes about barbers and the mob(?) and other references that I get lost. It is distracting and makes it exhausting to get to the gems of info in the article. I think there are some, its just too much work to read through it.

Some info doesnt make sense from a FFL standpoint. Eli and Payton are "manning up" to 11 TDs for the week. Its slightly entertaining info , but doesnt really help me.

What are the rating sections? "Jheri curl" versus Ratty perm? What is the difference and if a player shows on "ratty perm" section, do I dump him or hold him? Or is that the "Jheri curl" section? Some insight into these sections might help the reader on what to do with the info.

Just my two cents, and trying to be constructive.

ETA: LOL, I realize this is only really helping the writer, and not sure if he checks out these forums or not. Oh well.

Edited by Joessfl

The article tries to be too cute. It has inside jokes about barbers and the mob(?) and other references that I get lost. It is distracting and makes it exhausting to get to the gems of info in the article. I think there are some, its just too much work to read through it.

Some info doesnt make sense from a FFL standpoint. Eli and Payton are "manning up" to 11 TDs for the week. Its slightly entertaining info , but doesnt really help me.

What are the rating sections? "Jheri curl" versus Ratty perm? What is the difference and if a player shows on "ratty perm" section, do I dump him or hold him? Or is that the "Jheri curl" section? Some insight into these sections might help the reader on what to do with the info.

ETA: LOL, I realize this is only really helping the writer, and not sure if he checks out these forums or not. Oh well.

The first edition (last week) defined what some of those terms mean. If I remember correctly, something about a Jheri curl can be washed out quickly (one-week fix), while a ratty perm takes a few weeks (can be a lingering problem).

I thought the article was written strictly for entertainment value. If there were fantasy "gems" of information in there somewhere, I must have missed them.

• Like 1

Good points. I did go back and read week one and it helped. I just re-read week 2. I guess if its entertainment only, then I think its still a tough read with all the distracting references. Again, just trying to be constructive and I am not trashing it. I will continue to follow it to see how it might gain some traction as George Washington or Confucious say "You can not make an omelette without a few broken eggs."

Maybe I shouldnt look at this article for gems either, but maybe just some "things that make you go hmmm" Of course maybe it doesnt help that i am 0-3 after week 1 and looking for anything to read to help me!

Yeah, it's a bit of a tough read, because it's sort of all over the place. I found just enough humor for it to keep my interest. Can't say that I would make it a priority read, going forward, but it's something to keep me from doing anything productive this morning. :)

Put me down on the side that finds no redeeming value in that column. Not insightful, not useful, not funny, and frankly, kinda racist.

The Pick-up Joint is pretty clever and funny. Just stick to the humor there and for everything else, just go with straight analysis, which is what you do best. No offense, but if you were talented comedy writers you wouldn't be writing for a fantasy football site.

• Like 1

I think its good that they try to keep the site going with new writers as they lose old ones, and there are growing pains with new articles until they find a stride. I think more FFL content is better than more comedy. What they have already, in the category of comedy is nicely interspersed with FFL knowledge and info. Re: The Tunnel Vision sometimes has a quick one one or two lines that makes me laugh. And I agree with The Pick-Up joint is a good read too with some humor. I usually have one article/reason to log in each day Monday - Sunday. I think Fridays and Sat are light, but it isn't a very busy FFL day.

If they still have that content, then I am good to go. If they have a second article on days (Barbershop) and it doesn't work, I am not complaining. I still get the content I need for a great price.

Put me down on the side that finds no redeeming value in that column. Not insightful, not useful, not funny, and frankly, kinda racist.

The Pick-up Joint is pretty clever and funny. Just stick to the humor there and for everything else, just go with straight analysis, which is what you do best. No offense, but if you were talented comedy writers you wouldn't be writing for a fantasy football site.

Gimme a chivesin break!

Where you live in Levittown? I also live there and in Forsythia

I wouldn't mind the sophomoric tone if there was some content. Thus far, the articles have offered nothing insightful. Optimistically, I believe the editorial wisdom of the Huddle staff will prevail and set the column straight.

Note to file: we're here for FF nuggets, gems and epiphanies sprinkled with Johnny Carson-ish (Jimmy Fallon for the youngsters) witticisms.

Edited by wpayers

Ive been with this site since 2006 I believe and honestly I was not going to renew this season but the auto renew got me. I thought the JUMbotron articles were very very good and worth the price of the site alone. I thought the Barbershop article was a complete waste of time.

^^This^^

The intent was really just entertainment. Since Kevin's barbed wit was popular, we sought out someone as similar as we could get without copying anything and making it independent. I would ask that you give it time. I have read it and found parts of it actually pretty amusing. I do appreciate the feedback as always.

tl;dr

I clicked on the column and was presented with a hip (?) presentation with what appeared to be some worthwhile nuggets contained within, but I didn't have the time to muddle through all that.

commentary from the edge was an easy, highly entertaining read. Definitely looked forward to Tuesday morning hangovers being alleviated by reading that column. Would not have renewed this year if I knew it wasn't going to be around.

weekly 6 pack was a decent enough article, with some usually spot on analysis, and had the beer recommendations and cheerleader pics to make it worthwhile

JUMBOtron: good read, good info ... it flowed.

barbershop....just a splooge of tons of words, poorly formatted, with some cringe inducing "jokes" ... I hope this doesn't come off as racist, but if you're not a black dude who hangs out in a barbershop, you sure are a white dude who's watched too much Barbershop. Dunno if that makes sense or makes me George Zimmerman, but whatever. I probably won't read again, and definitely won't be subscribing again.

FWIW, reference my last "article" and see if it's more along the lines of what huddlers want to read. I doubt I'll post another since there's already some other dude doing beer reviews with a smidgin of fantasy advice (and I'm assuming getting paid for it)

http://forums.thehud...erate +measures

Edited by WildTurkey
  • Like 2

It is a wasted column that I will skip over the rest of, the year....not to offend anyone, but this is a fantasy advice site not a "entertainment" site. :2cents:

Exactly what you should do. If it's not popular it won't get clicks, and it'll be gone. If 20 people post they don't like it but it gets more hits than all other articles, it's gonna stay.

For what it's worth... In the beginning we received more than a few complaints about "Commentary From the Edge". But Kevin ended up having a successful and popular 10 year run here at The Huddle. Give the new guy a chance. If the new piece turns out to be your cup of tea, great. If not, no harm no foul. Just don't read it. They say vote with your remote for TV. On the 'net it's vote with your mouse. At the end of the season our members will always have the final say.

For what it's worth... In the beginning we received more than a few complaints about "Commentary From the Edge". But Kevin ended up having a successful and popular 10 year run here at The Huddle. Give the new guy a chance. If the new piece turns out to be your cup of tea, great. If not, no harm no foul. Just don't read it. They say vote with your remote for TV. On the 'net it's vote with your mouse. At the end of the season our members will always have the final say.

Translation : The Huddle signed a contract to run this for all season, so get used to it. :wflag: