[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edelman's Value

faceplant

Trying to gauge Edelman's value for the rest of the year and I'm struggling.

I think he's a great play for the upcoming week with Amendola and Gronkowski presumably out.

New England spreads the ball a lot and eventually those guys are coming back. So does anyone think Edelamn can consistently put up good numbers when those guys come back, or is he just good for the next few weeks?

Yes I'm from Boston and I'm asking for opinions about the local team...

In my opinion Edelman is not worth much. This upcoming week he will be solid but unless Amendola misses serious time, I don't see him being relevant. He's going to get targets and have decent days, but it will be nearly impossible to predict when. If you're desperate for a receiver, I would consider taking a flyer on him, but I don't see much potential here when Gronk, Amendola and Thompkins are all playing. Also, Vereen should be back in a few weeks too.

OK, I'm ready to call Amendola injury prone. I was in the camp of "hey, he's had two freak injuries that has caused him to miss time... he's not injury PRONE".

Now, after he's dinged up yet again, I'll man up and say I could have been overthinking it.

That said, I would expect Edelman to have a TON of value considering his familiarity with the offense, the fact he's fighting for playing time with rookies and what appears to be a guy that can't stay healthy.

In PPR formats, I'm a big-time buyer.

• Like 1

The problem I have with Edleman is that he's one of very few targets right now. Amendola, Gronk and Vereen are all out. He's one of very few remaining recieving threats which makes me worry if he's ready/capable to jump into such a central role.

Maybe someone with more familiarity could shed some light.

I drafted him in a couple of leagues, as just a flier... 5th or 6th receiver. I'm thrilled to have him in those leagues, considering where I got him. In standard 12-team leagues, I'd start him as a WR3 (maybe even a low end WR2 if my other options were limited) as long as Gronk and Amendola are out. In other words, I'm not benching a solid WR for him, necessarily, but I'm starting him with confidence if my other options are iffy. He was highly productive (and Brady's #1 red zone target) with Amendola playing in Week 1... He may not score twice again this week, but he'll still get plenty of looks.

Long-term is obviously less clear, but it's not like the Patriots are going to be loaded with weapons, at any point this year. Even if/when Gronk comes back, Edelman is still going to be (at worst) the third or fourth option on a Brady passing attack, and likely the #2 red zone option. I wouldn't be as confident starting him (with Gronk and Amendola back in the mix), but I think he will still be more than roster-worthy, after seeing how Week 1 played out (and especially given the injury history those other guys have).

There is a very good chance Amendola will miss more than 1 week. I think Edleman has a very good chance to build a lot of chemistry with Brady with Amendola out. Also remember last year Edleman was starting over Wes Welker for a little.

I seem to recall Edelman has had his own issues staying healthy. Not trying to suggest he's not worth adding now. Just saying he may not last that long, either, if he is forced into picking up too much slack in that O.

Definitely. I'm not saying that Edelman is any more durable than the guys who are out. But, if they're out, and he's playing, he's worth a look/start.

In deeper leagues, say 18 rounds or so, he's certainly worth picking up to drop one of what is likely several flyers you probably have on your roster. I say he's really good this week, Welkeresque if I may, and maybe 2-3 more if everyone does not get healthy in a hurry. He's also a good bet to have more opportunities throughout the season. He's also a better bye week filler than at least 2 guys on most of my rosters.

I recall one year when Welker got hurt and missed a few games and Edelman stepped in and played pretty well (think it was 2009, his rookie year). He played pretty well and did a lot of what Welker did.

Like BS Miscreant said, in deeper leagues he's worth a shot and probably better than some guys on your roster. If Amendola or Gronk miss more time he could be a solid WR3 at least.

I recall one year when Welker got hurt and missed a few games and Edelman stepped in and played pretty well (think it was 2009, his rookie year). He played pretty well and did a lot of what Welker did.

Like BS Miscreant said, in deeper leagues he's worth a shot and probably better than some guys on your roster. If Amendola or Gronk miss more time he could be a solid WR3 at least.

I think we're missing the mark here, maybe it's just my opinion.

Woodhead is gone and now Vereen is out for an extended period of time.

Gronk is out for probably another couple/few weeks and Hernandez is someone's beeyotch in the clink.

Amendola is missing at least a week and can now be penciled in as "injury prone".

While there was significant (and deserved) buzz for Thompkins, he is still an UDFA... and there are other rookies that may play significant roles in this offense moving forward.

And most importantly.... this is Tom Brady and the Patriot offense we're talking about here. Is Edelman a physical freak with burning speed? Not at all, but neither was Welker and Amendola isn't exactly a beast either. Edelman has history with the team and could easily become a safety net for a HOF QB that's set to pass 35-40 times a game.

Someone has to catch those balls. Even with Gronk/Amendola back, I like Edelman. Wish I had the chance to grab him in my leagues but he's been snatched up.

• Like 1

Now you've got me considering adding him. Not sure who I'd drop, my starting WR are Cavlin, Fitz & Dem Thomas with Greg Little, Reuben Randle and Malcolm Floyd on my bench. He'd only be a bye week filler for me, and I realized before the draft my 3 keeper WR all have the same bye (so that's probably a loss anyway).

Now you've got me considering adding him. Not sure who I'd drop, my starting WR are Cavlin, Fitz & Dem Thomas with Greg Little, Reuben Randle and Malcolm Floyd on my bench. He'd only be a bye week filler for me, and I realized before the draft my 3 keeper WR all have the same bye (so that's probably a loss anyway).

I won't tell you how to manage your team, but your homer Greg Little was targeted TEN times Sunday, only to catch FOUR balls. Do you think Weeden is going to throw the ball 50+ times a game every week? Here's a hint: no.

So extrapolate out 40% receptions rate (OK, we'll be kind and give him 50%) and his 4 for 26 stat line from Sunday is going to start looking more like 3 for 25, 2 for 18, 3 for 35... you get the idea.

Oh, that is until Josh Gordon gets back.

I think I may be inclined to drop Greg Little for a guy that could be a receptions machine in one of the NFL's most powerful and consistently good offenses :) .... but that's just me.

• Like 1

Thanks Darin, wasn't really looking for advice, just thinking outloud. The fact is Edelman would just ride the bench for me, and play one week when my 3 amigos are on bye. I would be more inclined to drop Floyd anyway. (And yes, I'm looking at Little through some homer glasses, God I hope Weeden doesn't throw it 50 times a game.)

Geez, and now Vereen is out for half the season

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/404016-vereen-has-a-broken-wrist/page__st__25#entry3852542

Edited by stevegrab

I also like him a lot especially in my two leagues .5 per catch adds up. He should be gold this week, but then a gain he is a receiver and they can lay an egg in any game. Look at Cal Johnson and Dez this week

Didn't see some of the highlights/recaps from Sunday and was just reading about the dropped TD by Calvin early in that game. But yeah, he was nearly shut out, a real rarity. 100+ yards and 2 TDs next week ;)

Thanks Darin, wasn't really looking for advice, just thinking outloud. The fact is Edelman would just ride the bench for me, and play one week when my 3 amigos are on bye. I would be more inclined to drop Floyd anyway. (And yes, I'm looking at Little through some homer glasses, God I hope Weeden doesn't throw it 50 times a game.)

I will add that four of those six misses were deemed "uncatchable"..... but that means two of them were straight-up drops.

But good news, The Chudster said: "You know Greg has worked extremely hard on catching...". :lol: Really, an NFL QB has to "work on catching [the ball]"? I seriously can't believe I drafted that dode and am damn happy I got the value that I got in letting him walk. Phew.

Anyways, no more hijacking...

• Like 1

No doubt Edelman's going to be one of the most heavily sought after FA acquisitions this week. I think this might also be a great week to start Thompkins. His 14 targets will probably decrease since he flubbed many, probably due to nerves but this is a good week to see what both will do.

No doubt Edelman's going to be one of the most heavily sought after FA acquisitions this week. I think this might also be a great week to start Thompkins. His 14 targets will probably decrease since he flubbed many, probably due to nerves but this is a good week to see what both will do.

Agree 100%. I would also not be surprised to see someone other than Edelman or Thompkins stand out. I still think Edelman will have a good game, so I guess perhaps I'm thinking someone other than Thompkins has a nice game... maybe 5-6 catches for 70-80 yards and a TD.

Watch out for Leon Washington - I could see him getting into the mix. He's a vet and he understands coverages and pass protection. Unless he's lost several steps, I could see him really stepping up.

Re the WRs, I think they'll keep trying to pound it to thompkins - trial by fire. They obviously like the kid, so I doubt one game will change their plans for him all that much.

I'll be putting in a claim for Edelman in all my leagues as well (except for the one where he isn't available because I told the guy next to me to draft him because I thought he was getting crazily overlooked while the rooks got trial runs in the preseason). He's not as quick as welker or as athletic as amendola but he knows the routes and Brady trusts him. WR2/3 material right now.

Edited by Balzac