[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spiller concern

WildTurkey

so......Anyone else concerned with CJ Spiller's use/timeshare split after week 1? I sure am...

Hoping for a big week 2 to put Fred Jackson back as #2 instead of number 1-A....

But then I look and see he's facing the Panthers ... then the Jets, then the Ravens ...

I guess dude will definitely prove himself one way or the other.

On just 207 carries last year, he had over 1200 yards rushing. Still also managed 40+ receptions. Does a split to 20-25 touches a game really hurt him that much? Even if he gets 15 carries a game, he'll still wind up with 240 carries this year.

I do love Spiller's potential, but I knew going into all of my drafts that a] I wasn't going to be in a position to draft him and b] I was going to target Jackson because I knew there'd still be somewhat of a timeshare and if Spiller got hurt, Jackson immediately becomes an RB1.

I stated all Summer long that Spiller was overrated in the 1st Round. he might still pan out but I'm not in the position to worry about it now.

8 Drafts, no Spiller. 8 drafts, 6 Fred Jacksons...

Edited by loaf

I think he was overrated to begin with. Injury risks, bad team, F-Jax dangers. He has flags everywhere - not worth where he was getting drafted.

I agree. To me, I could not understand why he jumped up so high in pre-season rankings. I drafted him last year and I know he had a great season, but I cannot understand why every fantasy expert was overlooking so many risks.

1. Entire new coach and offense- That nearly always never works well in the first year, but certaintly had to raise a red flag

2. Rookie QB- 8 men in the box all year, with unproven rookie. Say what you will, but defenses had to respect Fitzpatrick and Gailey's offense

3. Fred Jackson still in the mix

For those reasons, too much risk and too many questions for first round grade.

Funny thread. First I see people saying they are so concerned about how he was used. FJax was so involved. No good.

Now when I say he had 22 touches, which would equal 352 over a full season, the story changes to he won't last 352 touches, or 250 touches.

So is it FJax? Is it his usage? Is it he won't last? Maybe it is all of them?

Once again, funny thread.

So he's either going to get run into the ground or not get used enough. Brilliant!

Funny. This is exacty it. Oh no FJax is so involved. He isn't going to be used the right way.

Um he had 22 touches in game 1.

Okay, no way he can survive getting that many touches.

Can't make this stuff up. Good for a laugh though. So we have that going for us.

I'm not concerned with Spiller being run into the ground. To me any back comes with that "worry"

What concerns me is that Spiller got 6 touches in the 2nd half. Jackson got 8 and quite frankly looked a lot better, which of course the numbers bear out.

Spiller's performance in the last quarter of 2012 made Jackson a non-factor. Looks like that's not going to carry over into this season. The guy (after week one) has put himself back in the picture.

Funny thread. First I see people saying they are so concerned about how he was used. FJax was so involved. No good.

Now when I say he had 22 touches, which would equal 352 over a full season, the story changes to he won't last 352 touches, or 250 touches.

So is it FJax? Is it his usage? Is it he won't last? Maybe it is all of them?

Once again, funny thread.

I don't get how you can take several comments throughout a thread and lump them together like one person is saying everything you just paraphrased....I made one comment and was never on the Spiller bandwagon....I have Fjax in a league and Spiller in zero because he has never sustained a full workload...I think that by the end of the season it will be Tashard Choice starting....but there are several reasons for that and one of them is the direction that the NFL has gone with the offseason programs and that a lot of starting and backup RB's will not make it through a 16 game schedule..

• Like 1

We'll see how it plays out. It is 1 game. In general people go way too far up, and way too far down, based on 1 game (not just with Spiller).

I think Spiller and FJax will both get chances. Spiller will get 20 touches a game +/-, and that should be plenty for him. FJax will get 12 touches a game +/-, and that should be plenty for him.

Frankly FJax deserved more touches against NE, he was the better back. Spiller said he wasn't playing like himself. Always looking for the HR and trying to do too much. He said he realizes that and you'll see a different guy this weekend. We'll see on that.

But they will run enough where both guys will get touches IMO. And from a Spiller POV, if he gets 20 touches per game +/-, no one can complain. That's all you can ask for really. That's 320 touches over a full season. Any fantasy owner should be happy if his RB hits 300 touches for the season.

My overall point here is after 1 game to proclaim victory because I knew Spiller wasn't going to be good is nuts. Same with all the other players who stunk week 1. Richardson a bust also? Boldin the best WR? It is 1 game. We'll see how things play out. If someone isn't a fan of a player, that is cool of course. All I am saying is we are talking 1 game. Long way to go.

Edited by giantsfan
  • Like 1